Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November 2019 discussion

weathafella

37 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

This one has legs because we are not reliant on Judah’s phantom Strat Warming that takes 4 months to have a downstream effect. 

First time I've read Judah's name this season. It felt refreshing not having to read about snow advance in Verkhoyansk.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You need to keep in mind that the negative QBO is not descending until like February, which could factor in...

Huh... I thought the easterly phase had already set in.  Could of swore I read that somewhere... 

Well, in any case, the solar minimum stuff is strongly correlated with SSW, too.  And seeing as the QBO is in the process of differentiating negative, that may be just as suggestive/important on that side of the contribution...  

I just just checked ESRL and it's 7 and change in October, having dropped from 14/May... It seems it's quelling off pretty quickly.  The other thing we may want to consider is "thresholds" - I've read countless times that positive phase implies this and negative phase implies that. Point being, +7 doesn't appear to be "strong" comparing the billions of months in that file where 1/3 of them are over (+)(-)15;  I'm just wonder if strength in either phase correlate differently.  

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Huh... I thought the easterly phase had already set in.  Could of swore I read that somewhere... 

Well, in any case, the solar minimum stuff is strongly correlated with SSW, too.  And seeing as the QBO is in the process of differentiating negative, that may be just as suggestive/important on that side of the contribution...  

I just just checked ESRL and it's 7 and change in October, having dropped from 14/May... It seems it's quelling off pretty quickly.  The other thing we may want to consider is "thresholds" - I've read countless times that positive phase implies this and negative phase implies that. Point being, +7 doesn't appear to be "strong" comparing the billions of months in that file where 1/3 of them are over (+)(-)15;  I'm just wonder if strength in either phase correlate differently.  

Oh, all valid points. Its far from an exact science....totally debatable.

24 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This...I think that is a great point with strong validity. 

Obviously...here major...perhaps biggest driver here is the structure of the QBO. 

*cue in Sam Lillo with his amazing MQI data*

23 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

@Typhoon Tip....only point I will disagree with is that its quelling off quickly, which is my main point. Its been very slow. Take a look at the rate of descent in some other seasons in that tabular data...

I think halving it's value just since May is quick relative to that range its self...  I mean 14 to 7, with one month in there where it dropped from 14 to 10.. I don't know if that means it can't flop to +2 than -1 soon enough is all. 

I don't know how fast that is as typical behavior goes - no, but I said it "seems"