Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2019 discussion

weathafella

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Sleet is closer than it appears. If you fight off the warming aloft you could see big numbers when the CCB fires up.

304C12FF-2672-400F-8490-1F2A43F1B14F.png

Oh I think we see sleet, at least mix in, as that mid level warming and dry slot moves north.  The ending is where we need to make hay, but any frozen QPF is good stuff...I’d rather see sleet than just nothing at all if the H7 dry slot gets here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m disturbed by those well, almost like it doesn’t count. 

To a lot of the general public it actually doesn not count in their eyes. I've had many storms just over the past 5 years where i got 6" or more under a winter storm warning and all the roads were wet, especially the highways. Most people i've talked to think the forecast busted because they only had to plow a sloppy inch off their drive or sidewalks. To some extent i can agree with them.

I really think winter storm warnings and advisories should be based on impact and not just an exact snowfall criteria measured on a white reflective surface cleared every six hours perfectly placed. Even with general forecast from the private sector or news stations, when there is a substanial difference i think there should be two maps, one for roads/sidewalks/highways and one for grass/decks/roofs/wood etc. The former is what has the real impact, not the latter. Or they can at least mention and emphasize the difference in accumulation on different surfaces.

I don't know what the right answer is, just throwing this out there. I do know the vast majority of the public (from my social circle. family/friends/etc) has no idea what the difference between a Watch, Warning and Advisory is. All they want to know is how much and when. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Oh I think we see sleet, at least mix in, as that mid level warming and dry slot moves north.  The ending is where we need to make hay, but any frozen QPF is good stuff...I’d rather see sleet than just nothing at all if the H7 dry slot gets here.

Sleet makes an awesome base too. 

50 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

LC's epic post from Eastern was backlash against weenies who insisted they were going to ice storm, LC disagreed and weenies backlashed strongly. LC had a legit meltdown and ended up wishing not 1", but 2 or 3" of ice somewhere in the Carolinas. 

I remember that! He lost it :-) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Just no pics of the heated sidewalks. They make me angry. Angrier than pickles posting about a random 35F rainstorm in winter. 

I cant believe places actually do that. I had never seen that before. I bet they lose quite a bit of tourism money from that because a lot of people feel the same way you and I do about it