• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2019 discussion

weathafella

I would probably exercise a little caution much outside my little study area, but looking at the 01.00z OKX sounding it would forecast a 35 knot gust, when HWV peaked at 33 knots in the 4 hour window around the launch time.

If you wanted to look at model data instead, around 05z the LLJ increased to 81 knots at 925, and the regression spit out 46 knots. HWV peak wind was 46 knots. :weight_lift:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

About to head north back home, looks like I missed the first accumulating snow in Stowe.

In classic fashion the first accum was a heavy squall that looked on video like SN/+SN briefly...and then the sun came back out.  

The ol’ couple tenths for a first snow.

2FD98481-D862-47FB-B55C-43C62AEAF416.jpeg.ac233ef3601ee58da51b6412a649ceb4.jpeg

Congrats

IMG_20191103_132555.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

About to head north back home, looks like I missed the first accumulating snow in Stowe.

In classic fashion the first accum was a heavy squall that looked on video like SN/+SN briefly...and then the sun came back out.  

The ol’ couple tenths for a first snow.

2FD98481-D862-47FB-B55C-43C62AEAF416.jpeg.ac233ef3601ee58da51b6412a649ceb4.jpeg

The snow made it all the way down to the (Champlain) valley floor. Here is a video of the squall as it moved through while I was hiking on Mount Philo (972ft.) earlier today. The squall lasted about 10 minutes and was enough to whiten the ground. 

There's a much louder signal nearing the 15th of the month coming out of the American cluster for some form of larger scale index-related instability/correction event across the mid latitude of the continent... 

The PNA is heading into a mode reversal, while the on-going -EPO resists change (  and is in fact is anchor through the WPO! ), is an implication for a highly sloped western Canadia flow nearing the mid month time frame -

This is the ensemble derived teleconnectors.  The operational guidance may or may not reflect that at this time or a given run. Be that as it may this is a multi agency, multiple run signal. CDC is in fact a screaming winter signal for North America and has been been since mid last week landing on the ides of the month; this last evenings was the most spectacular, with/when wpo-epo arc are in sync signals a whopper AB phase of the Pac circulation, which is a very high correlation to/for deep layer N conveyor and cold loading into N. America.  The CPC rendition of the PNA is not quite as robust ...however, shows a tightly clustered mean rising from -2 SD to neutral - certainly qualifies a mode change in the positive direction. 

I'd suggest be looking out for something a bit more than a needle threader ... I even see signs that the local HC is "deflated" a bit then with ambient heights receded by 4 to 6 dm from the western Gulf to Bermuda after the 10th in some ensemble... that's a table set in my estimating for back off the larger toward smaller scale mechanical interference by way of reducing some of the velocity surplus.  Time will tell on that... 

It's an exciting November folks.  We haven't seen one of these in a while... No guarantee that we will get our cinema, no, but... we have 'good problems' as storm enthusiasts for the time being.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

There's a much louder signal nearing the 15th of the month coming out of the American cluster for some form of larger scale index-related instability/correction event across the mid latitude of the continent... 

The PNA is heading into a mode reversal, while the on-going -EPO resists change (  and is in fact is anchor through the WPO! ), is an implication for a highly sloped western Canadia flow nearing the mid month time frame -

This is the ensemble derived teleconnectors.  The operational guidance may or may not reflect that at this time or a given run. Be that as it may this is a multi agency, multiple run signal. CDC is in fact a screaming winter signal for North America and has been been since mid last week landing on the ides of the month; this last evenings was the most spectacular, with/when wpo-epo arc are in sync signals a whopper AB phase of the Pac circulation, which is a very high correlation to/for deep layer N conveyor and cold loading into N. America.  The CPC rendition of the PNA is not quite as robust ...however, shows a tightly cluster mean rising from -2 SD to neutral - certainly qualifies a mode change in the positive direction. 

I'd suggest be looking out for something a bit more than a needle threader ... I even see signs that the local HC is "deflated" a bit then with ambient height recede by 4 to 6 dm from the western Gulf to Bermuda after then 10th in some ensemble... that's a table set in my estimating for back off the larger toward smaller scale mechanical interference by way of reducing some of the velocity surplus.  Time will tell on that... 

It's an exciting November folks.  We haven't seen one of these in a while... No guarantee that we will get our cinema, no, but... we have 'good problems' as storm enthusiasts for the time being.

Have there been any major icing events in Nov?

36 minutes ago, Modfan said:

Have there been any major icing events in Nov?

One of SNE's worst icing events on record was November 26-28, 1921. Right to the coast too...over an inch of ice in a huge area with Pretty decent swaths over 2 inches thick. It was a cold event that started as snow and had some sleet mixed in during the latter part of the ice storm. Temps mostly in the 20s unlike the December 2008 ice storm which was marginal temps of 30-31F. 

November 17, 2002 had a bad one near and just south of the pike. Esp N CT. I remember ORH having decent ice but sleet cut it down a bit compared to further south where some spots got half an inch. There's been some lighter ones too...Thanksgiving 1985 actually knocked power out to some towns in ORH county.  

So they do happen even if rarer than winter months. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

This area in Dec 2008 looked like that although it was only 1-1.5” of ice.   I never want to experience that again

Folks that want this don't understand the destruction and it takes forest's many years to recover. Damage to infastructure is $$$$$

It was close in Coventry in 2008, it was a 32.5F cold rain

1 hour ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Folks that want this don't understand the destruction and it takes forest's many years to recover. Damage to infastructure is $$$$$

It was close in Coventry in 2008, it was a 32.5F cold rain

Yeah, same in Greenfield.  We became the supply zone for all the unfortunates in the hill towns who were without power for days.  

Soeaking if which, my friends in SW VT  (Dover and Wilmington) still don’t have power from the Halloween winds and rains.