• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2019 discussion

weathafella

anyway ... that system was on the charts and we smirked as typical ..They've been on and off, spraying surface lows all over the place - this GGEM solution is rather abhorrently robust relative to whatever trend the former had.  But, I still feel overall it's a valid little critter to watch ( if it doesn't evolve more...).  It seems to be happening on the front edge of the next contintental surge of cold air and those do tend to curl early so heh.   I still say the signal next up is a bit more impressive so there's no waiting.

53 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Perhaps Will or someone else would know...

What the the average first measurable snowfall date for the 4 SNE climo sites?  I'm guessing for ORH it is around Nov 15-20 or so...

I don't have the numbers for everyone else, but just doing a quick calculation for ORH since 1990, I get November 20th as average first measurable. (Obviously average first trace happens earlier) So your guesstimate range was accurate.

Maybe Chris could pull up the official averages for everyone at his finger tips. My ORH numbers include the lost 1995-2002 years when had a couple October snowfalls so they are probably different than the official ncdc numbers. (But mine will be more accurate)

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't have the numbers for everyone else, but just doing a quick calculation for ORH since 1990, I get November 20th as average first measurable. (Obviously average first trace happens earlier) So your guesstimate range was accurate.

Question made me curious about home, where it's Nov. 10.  In 21 winters 1st measurable has come in Oct 6 times and once in Dec. (7th, 2006) with the other 14 in Nov.  No Oct measurable for 2019 but looks good for a 15th for Novie.

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

what .    Wonder how ECMWF headquarters feels about that.   It's gotta be a change in policy by that org. 

Previously ECMWF did not allow any of their data to be shared publicly except for the basic images they provide on their site. Ryan Maue had the warning disclaimer up on his site about it. That went for any Euro data vendor. He had stated he tried many times he had tried to get clearance from them for free distribution of the maps he provides...even offering more money for the clearance.

I assume he either worked out a deal with them or they gave the OK for everyone. Of course people have continued to post the Euro data here for years, but technically we were not supposed to allow it. But it at least let’s me breathe a little easier knowing we won’t be possibly held accountable for that anymore...at least if it’s maps from weathermodels.com. If it’s cleared for all vendors then everyone can feel free to go wild with the posting of maps this year.

3 hours ago, MetHerb said:

First average trace for me is 11/7, measurable it's 11/17.

Your numbers are a couple days earlier than ORH which is surprising. Though you go back prior to 1991 which is where I started. 1988 was really early on 10/8 so that would prob push back the date. Then add in the early  November 1987 and 1986 snowfalls and that prob pushes it back even further.