• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2019 discussion

weathafella

I totally understand and agree with all points here.

I guess my question is whether these extremes are becoming more frequent. If it's not record warmth it's record cold.

For example this cold shot, there doesn't seem to be a whole heck of a lot of attention to it...meanwhile if this was record warmth news anchors would be naked. I think Steve made this point in the spring. 

I know it's not historic by any means...but that shouldn't discredit the significance. But even this past month we have seen some historic events occur...the early season snows in MT...biggest early season stuff since the 1930's...then northern Plains got nailed. 

I know Vegas has had 30's in October before (looks like record cold in the 1970's) but the frequency of these type of events is increasing...that's what my main point is.  

Like look at anomalies for tomorrow and Thursday...this is a large chunk of the country.

image.png.6980bca1f963cd94eae07985bc14d648.png

• Thanks 1

Things be changing. I've even noticed the spiders in CT are getting bigger and faster. When I'm working at my friend's dads (his yard is surrounded by some trees in the back and side) there are spiders everywhere and THEY'RE HUGE. Wolf spiders, funnel weavers, some really small brown ones which look like brown recluses. I saw a GIANT one crawling on the hot tub the other day and there was this wolf spider in the shed. they're everywhere. Like a month ago I had one on my shoulder...didn't even look to see what kind...it was huge. I threw my shirt off and ran around screaming. 

I recently moved to Windsor Locks and I was in my room last week and there was a HUGE black spider on my bedroom floor...quickly jumped on it...didn't even take the time to take a pic and verify the type.

CT shouldn't be having these spiders. 

• Haha 3

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Things be changing. I've even noticed the spiders in CT are getting bigger and faster. When I'm working at my friend's dads (his yard is surrounded by some trees in the back and side) there are spiders everywhere and THEY'RE HUGE. Wolf spiders, funnel weavers, some really small brown ones which look like brown recluses. I saw a GIANT one crawling on the hot tub the other day and there was this wolf spider in the shed. they're everywhere. Like a month ago I had one on my shoulder...didn't even look to see what kind...it was huge. I threw my shirt off and ran around screaming. 

I recently moved to Windsor Locks and I was in my room last week and there was a HUGE black spider on my bedroom floor...quickly jumped on it...didn't even take the time to take a pic and verify the type.

The types you mentioned are pretty common for New England. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

He’s just finally getting out to the burbs and away from college city campuses. He’ll spot a bear next which will trigger a complete meltdown. 

The big city of Danbury!

I dunno, I think he has a point. I've been noticing more and more spiders the past few years. Maybe I'm just more aware?

Not are about other sites as I haven't checked but DEN is going for all time October records with this cold shot...both record low max and record low min. Pretty impressive. 

But that doesn't match with climate change. Those types of events are supposed to be less frequent. Not more frequent. 

42 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

lol.
Leave it to Paul.  This is a sure sign of climate change. 

...You will soon be forced to move north a few notches every few years to avoid the large spiders.  Eventually you will end up alone in the North Pole...with no escape...No where to go...stuck on an ever warming planet.  Your demise comes as your exhausted, frail body floats alone on the last iceberg...fighting off the giant (swimming) spiders with nothing more than a broom and an empty 40 ounce bottle.  At last the fight in you is gone as the eight legged freaks take you.  Within seconds they quickly wrap your flesh and bone into a sticky cocoon of death.  The Doom is upon you at last as the life is devoured from your motionless body... as the world is ultimately consumed in a hot apocalyptic death and we are no more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

Such is our climo.  However 1993-94 went b to b. As did 2002-03 (arguably).  93-94 was the poster child of winter locking in for 2 months solid save for a 2 day thaw around 2/1.

The 1994 thaw lasted no more than 24 hours here, but it was remarkable for wild temp swings and powerful winds - best shown by the last 6 days of January at CAR:

Jan. 26   -13   -32     0     0     35   (Tied with 1/14/57 for CAR's 2nd coldest daily mean)
Jan. 27      5    -23    0      0     34
Jan. 28    45     -1   .69   3.3   34  (Probably a noontime obs, before the SE gales fully arrived.)
Jan. 29    43     -3    .05  0.3   25
Jan. 30     -2   -20     0      0    25
Jan. 31      4   -29     0      0    25

Even wind chill watches/warnings in MT, WY, and CO...this is freaking nuts. Wind chills as low as -30. WTF is going on

About what we had last T-Day, low was -3 and aft. high was 9, with winds 25G35+ all day.  That's 11/22 not 10/30 but it's also at 400' elev not 4,000+.

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The 1994 thaw lasted no more than 24 hours here, but it was remarkable for wild temp swings and powerful winds - best shown by the last 6 days of January at CAR:

Jan. 26   -13   -32     0     0     35   (Tied with 1/14/57 for CAR's 2nd coldest daily mean)
Jan. 27      5    -23    0      0     34
Jan. 28    45     -1   .69   3.3   34  (Probably a noontime obs, before the SE gales fully arrived.)
Jan. 29    43     -3    .05  0.3   25
Jan. 30     -2   -20     0      0    25
Jan. 31      4   -29     0      0    25

Even wind chill watches/warnings in MT, WY, and CO...this is freaking nuts. Wind chills as low as -30. WTF is going on

About what we had last T-Day, low was -3 and aft. high was 9, with winds 25G35+ all day.  That's 11/22 not 10/30 but it's also at 400' elev not 4,000+.

And about 8 degrees of latitude so maybe it’s a wash?

3 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I totally understand and agree with all points here.

I guess my question is whether these extremes are becoming more frequent. If it's not record warmth it's record cold.

For example this cold shot, there doesn't seem to be a whole heck of a lot of attention to it...meanwhile if this was record warmth news anchors would be naked. I think Steve made this point in the spring. 

I know it's not historic by any means...but that shouldn't discredit the significance. But even this past month we have seen some historic events occur...the early season snows in MT...biggest early season stuff since the 1930's...then northern Plains got nailed. 

I know Vegas has had 30's in October before (looks like record cold in the 1970's) but the frequency of these type of events is increasing...that's what my main point is.  

Like look at anomalies for tomorrow and Thursday...this is a large chunk of the country.

um .. yeah? 

that was both long predicated and has been in the  report attributes

I dropped this hypothesis over the summer ...  

With the HC expansion stuff, early cold snaps can be intuitively fitting ... because that would tend parlay into NE Pac index responses.  Heights in that region, however subtle, average higher, lends to this...

Question is, does it last.  

The base pattern for winter may not even yet occurred - though I suspect it does in this case for other topic...

This conceptually might begin to atone for the abhorrent increase in snow occurrence in October since 2000 in general.  Interesting.