Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Here comes winter -- October 28-November 1 Snowstorm Potential

Hoosier

28 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Dunno about snow in Chicagoland but this is a cool event regardless :)

Would certainly rather be north of Chicago at this point.

That being said, despite it being late October, I wouldn't assume we are automatically going to see northwest trends because climo or whatever.  There is an unusual amount of cold air dumping in and the "zone" should sort of be established by the initial system.  It is taking a hyperbomb to get these western solutions, and personally I think the Euro/ICON type outcomes represent roughly the western limit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

Late October snow climo is bad, especially imby but it's prime bomb season, take any solution with rapid deepening in immediate region and call it a win. Patterns have a tendency to get sticky these days and this would be a good one to see again 

This new you is too optimistic.

Not sure how I feel about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

Late October snow climo is bad, especially imby but it's prime bomb season, take any solution with rapid deepening in immediate region and call it a win. Patterns have a tendency to get sticky these days and this would be a good one to see again 

If I can put 5"-6" down in early May I'm a believer in anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12z ICON still has the second storm, albeit MUCH MUCH weaker.

12z CMC has much of Iowa, northern Illinois, southeast Wisconsin and northern Michigan buried in 6+ inches of snow (late week system).  Going to be really bad for the trees and disastrous for the crops.  Not much wind in that system, though.

Also, CMC says siggy ice storm for west central Michigan.

We'll see what the 12z Euro says, although I'm pretty sure the Euro will show what the CMC shows, unless the Euro sides with the ICON and GFS.

One more thing, all the GEFS ensembles show a significant snowstorm for eastern Iowa early next week, while it has the second system to the southeast of Iowa.

Early Season Snowstorm 2 (CMC).png

Significant Ice Storm for Michigan.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snowlover2 said:

That wouldn't be a terrible track a couple months from now.

I hate these types of situations where you know there will probably be a window of GFS runs that look good for your backyard on its way to joining the other models.  <_<

• Haha 2