Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2019-20 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

On 3/28/2020 at 9:44 AM, hawkeye_wx said:

There appears to be a pretty awful (cold) pattern settling in when we flip to April.  Let's hope it is only several days and not half the month.

Models as a whole have kind of abandoned this idea today. Now looks like its only gonna last 5-7 days before switching back to a more severe wx favorable base state.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2020 at 9:00 AM, CheeselandSkies said:

Just what we need with this COVID-19 misery going on.

On 3/28/2020 at 10:44 AM, hawkeye_wx said:

There appears to be a pretty awful (cold) pattern settling in when we flip to April.  Let's hope it is only several days and not half the month.

Why does April always have to be doo-doo? The last 3 days have been miserable. Locally in SON, there were only 2 warm Aprils last decade!!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Chicago is now only ~1.5" away from normal snowfall on the season.

Took an unusual route to get there, with the early and late snowfalls.

On that note, 2019-20 is the first time on record that Chicago has had a 3" calendar day snowfall in October and April of the same snow season. 

If we lower the bar to a 1" calendar day snowfall in October and April of the same snow season, it is only the 3rd time.  October 1906/April 1907 and October 1925/April 1926 are the other two.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Other interesting quirks of this season for Detroit.

November 9.5" (4th snowiest)

December 2.7"  (21st least snowy)

March 1.7" (21st least snowy)

April 4.9" (12th snowiest)

Crazy how despite all odds, both Detroit and Toronto finished above average this winter. 

How did Jan and Feb fare? YYZ recorded 21" in Feb. Ended up being the 9th snowiest Feb on record, if I'm not mistaken. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Crazy how despite all odds, both Detroit and Toronto finished above average this winter. 

How did Jan and Feb fare? YYZ recorded 21" in Feb. Ended up being the 9th snowiest Feb on record, if I'm not mistaken. 

Yes, isnt that something lol. The type of Winter lover I am, this was certainly not my Winter of choice, but I also disagree when people act like the snowfall total makes the Winter look better than it was or something along those lines. It is what it is.  That's why there's so many other facets to the weather than just how much snow fell. The bottom line was, this was for all intents and purposes and average snow season, technically a drop above average.  The number of snowcover days of 1"+ averages 50, but this year DTW saw 41 days, so that is moreso indicative of the mild Winter.

DTW snowfall this season:

Oct- T (-0.1)

Nov- 9.5" (+8.0)

Dec- 2.7" (-7.0)

Jan- 9.7" (-2.8)

Feb- 14.7" (+4.5)

Mar- 1.7" (-5.2)

Apr- 4.9" (+3.2)

May- ?:lol:

5 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Yes, isnt that something lol. The type of Winter lover I am, this was certainly not my Winter of choice, but I also disagree when people act like the snowfall total makes the Winter look better than it was or something along those lines. It is what it is.  That's why there's so many other facets to the weather than just how much snow fell. The bottom line was, this was for all intents and purposes and average snow season, technically a drop above average.  The number of snowcover days of 1"+ averages 50, but this year DTW saw 41 days, so that is moreso indicative of the mild Winter.

Oct- T (-0.1)

Nov- 9.5" (+8.0)

Dec- 2.7" (-7.0)

Jan- 9.7" (-2.8)

Feb- 14.7" (+4.5)

Mar- 1.7" (-5.2)

Apr- 4.9" (+3.2)

May had better be 0

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Oct- T (-0.1)

Nov- 9.5" (+8.0)

Dec- 2.7" (-7.0)

Jan- 9.7" (-2.8)

Feb- 14.7" (+4.5)

Mar- 1.7" (-5.2)

Apr- 4.9" (+3.2)

It was an exceptionally mild winter but unlike previous mild winters, i.e. 2011-12, we fared leagues better. February seems to be our best month of late, so it's no surprise February ended up above average in DTW. I think our 12 year running average is 15" at YYZ, way above our 1981-2010 average of 9.5" and 1971-2000 average of 8.8". Snowcover was almost absent this winter. We'd get a couple inches and within a few days it'd be gone. I think the reason DTW saw 41 days with snowcover this year was because we had an active storm track all winter long. There was hardly any arctic air this winter. Hence why I refuse to give this winter anything higher than a B+. Hard to forget that 3" rain storm back in Jan lol. 

Nonetheless, nice to see both Chicago and Detroit finishing at or slightly above average. 

We may be done with the real cold stuff, but models are not very pretty for the lakes region the rest of the month.  We get a warm day Wednesday, with a high in the 70s, and Thursday should be solid, but then it kinda turns kinda lousy again.  The GFS and Euro both show a similar pattern... general wnw/nw flow, with disturbances riding southeast like clippers and then amping up as they turn east into the Ohio Valley.  

Farther into the lakes, like Michigan, you don't even get the brief midweek warmth.  The Euro has you in 40s and 50s for the next ten days.  Yuck.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3