Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2019-20 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

12 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Guess the GFS was a little off with this.

100+ runs in a row baby stepping weaker and east until it's a detroit advisory

we're definitely at the point where climo for big snow becomes rapidly unfavorable and the general outlook for the next week or two looks unlikely to produce

i don't see how this all doesn't end with a month or two of warmth followed by a 2-4 inch misery hit in late april to kick off another cold spring - practically guaranteed to verify

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

100+ runs in a row baby stepping weaker and east until it's a detroit advisory

we're definitely at the point where climo for big snow becomes rapidly unfavorable and the general outlook for the next week or two looks unlikely to produce

i don't see how this all doesn't end with a month or two of warmth followed by a 2-4 inch misery hit in late april to kick off another cold spring - practically guaranteed to verify

ORD will crack 30" so everyone can look back years from now and say it was another near normal winter. Springfield starting to lengthen their lead over ORD even as Madison sits at over 50"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

ORD will crack 30" so everyone can look back years from now and say it was another near normal winter. Springfield starting to lengthen their lead over ORD even as Madison sits at over 50"

That’s the worst bit. It was the Halloween and the November events that bluffed this winter to average and that’s what the record will show. I miss the downtown station on Northerly Island which gave a better representation of what truly happened in Chicago. That would show that 80% of Cook County saw below normal snowfall and this winter would be recorded for what it really was: an F.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Cary67 said:

It is actually kind of impressive that the final total should even end up within shouting distance of average given how mild of a winter it has been and the lack of any big individual snow.  No doubt helped out by the early snows as pointed out.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It is actually kind of impressive that the final total should even end up within shouting distance of average given how mild of a winter it has been and the lack of any big individual snow.  No doubt helped out by the early snows as pointed out.  

Yeah Madison is 10.9" above average since July 1 but 0.7" below average since December 1st. Only 2.9" between Dec 1 and Jan 10, Basically the first half of met winter had almost no snow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

It appears a progressive northern stream will keep much, if not all, of the active weather and precip south and east of the upper midwest over the next couple weeks.  The only thing to look forward to is a mild weekend.

Which makes us completely missing out on the current event even worse.  Oh well, we'll always have Halloween.  We'll always have Halloween.  We'll always hav...:bag:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The Euro has trended much farther south with the midweek system.  All the heavy rain has been moved to the Tennessee Valley/deep South.

shocker. I still wake up and night and see  posts by Chicago Storm posting: "southeast and weaker again"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Snownado said:

Only 32 hours until the first day of Spring. Cant wait.

I know that it is met Spring, but at my latitude, I use the vernal equinox as a delineation to Spring, as there really aren't enough pleasant days in March to consider it Spring. I actually consider both March and November throw-away months, or no-man's land, if you will. Neither month has enough snowy weather to be considered winter nor do they have enough nice pleasant days to enjoy as "Spring."  (The once-in-a-lifetime Morch as the exception).

• Like 5