Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2019-20 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

4 hours ago, Baum said:

I sure hope all this cold and snow early isn't a jinx on the main cold season. Although, it didn't matter in the late 70's. But those are the only winters I recall an early start that stuck.There I said it.

Skilling weighed in that question.

Screenshot_20191107-091528_Facebook.jpg

54 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Skilling weighed in that question.

Screenshot_20191107-091528_Facebook.jpg

Pretty small sample size though.  It would be interesting to look at November and how x total by a certain date or the end of that month does.  At some point it becomes difficult to prevent an above average snow season if you rack up a lot early.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Pretty small sample size though.  It would be interesting to look at November and how x total by a certain date or the end of that month does.  At some point it becomes difficult to prevent an above average snow season if you rack up a lot early.

Would agree simple size probably not large enough to draw any real conclusions 

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I did something similar, but used Nov. 15th as the cutoff. After I did that, I thought to myself that the end of November would have been a better cutoff.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:31 AM, IWXwx said:

Your comment prodded me to search for that answer. I used ORD from 1958-2018 since it is the hub of the subforum.  I used the criteria of more than 1" of snow at ORD through Nov. 15th and the resulting winter totals. It looks to me like there is little correlation, but judge for yourself from these numbers.

1967 - 6.7" - 28.4"

1989 - 6.6" - 33.8"

1959 - 6.3" - 50.9"

2018 - 2.1" - 49.5"

1995 - 1.9" - 23.9"

1976 - 1.8" - 24.7"

2014 - 1.5" - 50.7"

1971 - 1.1" -  36.9"

However, if the cutoff is Nov. 5th, then there are only three years with more than an inch of snow: 1967, 1989, and 1976. A small sample size, but those years were less than stellar.

GGEM and Euro took a step back.

It's gonna be hard to get anything really good out of the setup, given where the main PV lobe is located up over the Hudson, combined with +PNA in place. 

The new 12z ECMWF/GGEM runs are probably the best case scenario. I'd hedge somewhere between them and what the GFS has for now.

8 hours ago, Baum said:

I sure hope all this cold and snow early isn't a jinx on the main cold season. Although, it didn't matter in the late 70's. But those are the only winters I recall an early start that stuck.There I said it.

Depending on where your line is drawn for the "early start" threshold will make a difference in the outcome. For SMI (not including LES belt counties) I consider anything noteworthy before Dec 10th as qualifying. 

List of good early starters (post-70s era glory days) = 89-90, 95-96, 00-01, 04-05, 08-09, 09-10, 13-14

Not all early starters are a death knell 

"used to refer to the imminent destruction or failure of something"

7 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

GGEM and Euro took a step back.

It's gonna be hard to get anything really good out of the setup, given where the main PV lobe is located up over the Hudson, combined with +PNA in place. 

The new 12z ECMWF/GGEM runs are probably the best case scenario. I'd hedge somewhere between them and what the GFS has for now.

18z Euro with another step back.

13 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Lake enhanced signal plainly evident around the IL/IN shore on the GFS and NAM beyond 72 hr.  This will add to totals to some extent, though temp profiles near the lake could be a bit marginal for good accumulations at first until the cold air deepens.  

07/12z JMA said "go big or go home"! Sure wish there was a snowfall map to go along with :snowing:

20191107 12z JMA MSLP & hgt anoms.png

20191107 12z jma_T850_us_fh96-168.gif