Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid October 2019 Bombogensis Coastal

Ginx snewx

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol you had this thing flying to Nova Scotia in 18 hrs. 

I did ...and I admitted that and spoke at length about it yesterday 

what's the point ? 

Your response is out of line relative to what I was talking about - clearly you got other agenda ... because you're not even responding to the facets I was tongue-in-cheeking about. 

Look, I don't care about your thread and your reputation?  That kind of celebrity policing you've always engaged in is pretty laughable and at times tedious and a bore

Get a generator,  if this happened in winter it would be a major issue. Since Irene I have now lost power 14 times varying from 8 hrs to 6 days. Power just came on here.

That is nutso.   Since our 2008 ice storm, I have lost power 1 time for about 14 hours (after a lightning strike). One other for a few hours from a transformer blowing and maybe a few brief outages due to cars into poles etc.   Considering the wooded area I am in and the decent winds/snow/ice I am a bit surprised.

As a kid, we only lost power a few times that I recall.  Blizzard of 1978 and Gloria are all that come to mind.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Can't wait 'till the after glow of this thing wears off and this thread unpins and fades  - don't you ever just get tired of a storm? 

I have to admit, sometimes I encounter this phenomenon ( personally ) even before the first flakes start falling...when from inception and conceptualization in the tele's, to materialization throughout the modeling and internet fights that may very well precipitate out of that with greater QPF than the storm actually even goes on to do itself, ...to finally having whatever it turns out actually take place ... By the time we get there, the whole of thing may be as much as two weeks in some cases - particularly in some rare times when the over-arcing physical prominence is so foreboding in the atmosphere, ...the attributes are picked up exceptionally early. I'm just done after two weeks haha. 

Like, sometimes truth be told ..I'm off to looking at the models three days before the storm, ...for something...anything afterward other than the f'ing storm at hand because it's become so ad nauseam.  This thing started entering that phase of 'jesus - enough is enough already' about three two days ago

I think this probably becomes more of a confirmation bias. IOW, if one did not get much out of it, they probably get tired of reading or hearing about it. That doesn't diminish the event though. It was a significant event for many from CT to ME. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I think this probably becomes more of a confirmation bias. IOW, if one did not get much out of it, they probably get tired of reading or hearing about it. That doesn't diminish the event though. It was a significant event for many from CT to ME. 

Agreed.

I'm of the opinion that if this storm occurred in 2-3 months, many would focus on whether or not one of those fcst meso lows became the primary synoptic low.  A lot of snow weenies would've been sorely disappointed when it ended up tracking from near NYC to NH instead of arcing offshore and into the ME coast.

Just now, purduewx80 said:

Agreed.

I'm of the opinion that if this storm occurred in 2-3 months, many would focus on whether or not one of those fcst meso lows became the primary synoptic low.  A lot of snow weenies would've been sorely disappointed when it ended up tracking from near NYC to NH instead of arcing offshore and into the ME coast.

I thought about those GFS runs that had that. LOL. Woof. This place would become unreadable. :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:
4 hours ago, MaineJayhawk said:
We had power come back on around noon yesterday, and a bit after 10pm it went out again.  113,000 CMP customers still without power.

You're area always seems to have long outages

I'm house-sitting in Scarborough near Higgins Beach for a couple months.  According to CMP it's back online now, but nearly 90,000 still are not

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I did ...and I admitted that and spoke at length about it yesterday 

what's the point ? 

Your response is out of line relative to what I was talking about - clearly you got other agenda ... because you're not even responding to the facets I was tongue-in-cheeking about. 

Look, I don't care about your thread and your reputation?  That kind of celebrity policing you've always engaged in is pretty laughable and at times tedious and a bore

You are the strangest person ever on a weather board. My thread, my reputation, lol yea ok. Let me quote someone, I have no reputation to uphold”. Christine was right. 

32 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Losing power is a big deal.  People depend on electricity and some need it reliable for medical devices, etc.  we as a society need to spend the $$ it takes to have underground wiring.

At a million five a mile good luck, rural roads two miles long with 3 houses , million per house. It’s prohibitive. Repairs to underground’s if failures happen are long expensive and hard to diagnose. It isn’t easy. Maybe in cities and close tightly packed burbs yes but expect to pay through the nose for retrofitting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I was talking about something else ..- and, I was feeling devious and wanted the reactions. Ha. boy did that work!

I understand what you are saying and in fact,  that psychology and so forth is entirely obvious. Of course there is a relative impact/imprinting thing there..

But I also mean what I said - I sometimes do at times get sick of it before it even occurs, and start looking beyond the storm before it even happens. That has nothing to do with invalidating this event - which is interesting the reaction that followed. It proves the sensi bias of readers.  

54 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Losing power is a big deal.  People depend on electricity and some need it reliable for medical devices, etc.  we as a society need to spend the $$ it takes to have underground wiring.

I connected with this sentiment back in 1986 ...

It was an innocuous icing event in the deeper interior up through the northern Mass that wasn't particularly well forecast... It happened over Xmass week off from High School/week after the holiday it's self - sneakily avoiding the annuls.  But, we had maybe .8" total accretion from freezing drizzle ...almost never coming down enough to call it rain.  31.8 F in freezing mist in a cold pal air that smelled like a mash up of chimneys with that cryo-tundra smell. I actually really wanted to experience the zr rain to fall harder to get into some of that yore stuff... until, about day two, when the mortar fire of timbre failure kicked in and the power went out for two days henceforth. 

It was not a big deal icing event with sporadic outages ... but my neighborhood was out of power in cold weather long enough to learn that lesson; the novelty of that particular type of winter phenomenon runs with certain rapidity when one is standing there in the cold and dark ;) 

And yes... these sorts of things are jolt reminders ... the Carrington Events or comet impacts ... they're out there. 

At a million five a mile good luck, rural roads two miles long with 3 houses , million per house. It’s prohibitive. Repairs to underground’s if failures happen are long expensive and hard to diagnose. It isn’t easy. Maybe in cities and close tightly packed burbs yes but expect to pay through the nose for retrofitting.

Yeah, if it were cost effective PCG would've buried their lines in Cali to avoid wildfire liability. 

38 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yeah obviously it’s more economical in more densely packed areas, but it should start somewhere. I agree, tough in rural areas.

However, you’d think issues and maintenance once it was installed would be significantly less than current values. I mean.... how much money are we spending every time we get a storm like this or someone crashes into a pole, etc etc. can’t be cheap.

Might pay for itself In the long run 

Actually ...speaking of that societal impact stuff... 

I remember the morning after the 2007 ice storm up there in the Worcester Hills.  I was living in Acton Mass at the time, a so-called "perimeter township" to the hot zone.  What I later learned is when a region of the grid fails, the neighboring trunks attempt to pick up the slack - so to speak - and that can cause their systems to go then go down as a cascade, because the draw overwhelms.  The sub-stations and buckets up utility poles have breakers, and they can en masse trip and/or arc and fail.  We were not even icing in Acton by 9 pm the night accretion was passing an inch encasement in the towns 8 miles west as the crow flies, but the blue glows immediately preceding their eerie deep resonance emanated from over the horizons and heralded in our town's going down with the ship...F! 

The next morning, it was something... the sullen faces, drawn down under archless eyebrows standing in a line that stretched out a Dunkin' Donuts door and down the parking lot some couple hundred feet.  Apparently since that strip had a CVS there was a generator servicing just that location, and the D&D happened to be on the circuit, and so opened for coffee and minor provisions as long as supplies last.  They were charging or it too. The people occasionally peered at watches as they stood on line just before rotating their glances to and fro as though belated in coming to terms with the it all.

I sat there peering through my windshield as my car slipped into park, wondering if it was worth it to get in that line, and felt embarrassed. How even I was so beholden to the grid, exposing the arrogance of a society that lives in a delusion of security provided by electricity, and has long become vastly too wholly dependently reliant upon it.  It's not like I hadn't experienced that kind of outre shame before - whenever the power goes out that's part of it.  But sitting there, in that moment, for some reason I was more profound struck by it, and how fake everything really is 

What's funny  ... you can go to a camping or outdoors prep store and buy these small wood stove coffee maker set ups inside of 20 bucks... No one in that line even knows that's true.  

39 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah obviously it’s more economical in more densely packed areas, but it should start somewhere. I agree, tough in rural areas.

However, you’d think issues and maintenance once it was installed would be significantly less than current values. I mean.... how much money are we spending every time we get a storm like this or someone crashes into a pole, etc etc. can’t be cheap.

Might pay for itself In the long run 

Nothing to prevent your town from doing it on their own, such as was done in the picturesque village of Woodstock, VT.  Helps to have some Rockefellers to pay for it, like they did. But there's always prop 2 1/2. 

2 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

Agreed.

That lack of antecedent boundary layer inhibition ( i.e., no cold air ) was also instrumental in why the surface low 'tucked in' west so quickly - I think ...well, hope anyway, that with that identifiably the case it might protect model interpretation from making that mistake.  

But ya never know huh 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, radarman said:

Nothing to prevent your town from doing it on their own, such as was done in the picturesque village of Woodstock, VT.  Helps to have some Rockefellers to pay for it, like they did. But there's always prop 2 1/2. 

I’d be okay with it.... the wiring on my street (newer development) is all underground. Doesn’t help when someone hits a pole down the street though.

It’s not unlike all the other infrastructure in this area... antiquated and in need of serious upgrades/replacement 

Electricity being sent long distances over powerlines with massive efficiency losses will be antiquated much sooner than you think. Solar and battery storage and small local microgrids are coming. 

My house is all electric powered 100% by my solar panels. I am totally ready to call Eversource and tell them I dont need their line anymore once battery storage comes down in price. That is already happening in Hawaii and New England is right behind Hawaii with the most expensive electricity in the US. Utilities are already using large scale battery storage here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

Our mostly rural town of less than 1,500 has about 75 miles of roads.  Spread that over Maine's nearly 500 municipalities, and probably double the total to account for towns/cities with far greater road/powerline density, and the total at $5 million/mile would cover the entire state budget into the 22nd century.

Even as the wind was blowing water up my rain jacket as I was trying to pull the dead fir off our road and go to work, I didn't think it was all that strong, maybe into the mid 30s.  Later in the morning we had gusts well into the 40s at 1,600' on Bigelow Mountain's lower slopes.  The roar of that later wind was many decibels beyond the earlier wind plus rain.  Lots of rain, though - 1.80", significantly more than the other 2 cocorahs reports from Franklin County.  Despite the non-exceptional winds at home, our power was off 4 AM yesterday thru 9:15 AM today.  Only the 30 hours in December 2000 lasted longer.  That one was SW gusts ahead of a CF, took down a dry pine long enough to smack the wires and break about 8' from a utility pole.  Both that tree and yesterday's fell out of our on woodlot - c'est la vie.

2 hours ago, radarman said:

Can’t even get my road to be decent never mind burying cables.    Strange thing is that the part of my road that is a disaster has buried cables. Lol

2 hours ago, radarman said:

Ha, Stowe Village has been under construction all summer to bury power lines, especially Main Street.  No tourist wants to look at above ground power lines, sheesh.

Stowe and Woodstock are two towns that have the money to do it.  What a cluster f*ck though living through that process though.

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I was talking about something else ..- and, I was feeling devious and wanted the reactions. Ha. boy did that work!

I understand what you are saying and in fact,  that psychology and so forth is entirely obvious. Of course there is a relative impact/imprinting thing there..

But I also mean what I said - I sometimes do at times get sick of it before it even occurs, and start looking beyond the storm before it even happens. That has nothing to do with invalidating this event - which is interesting the reaction that followed. It proves the sensi bias of readers.  

So trolling,  great to know, I will just skip your prose. NBD

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Electricity being sent long distances over powerlines with massive efficiency losses will be antiquated much sooner than you think. Solar and battery storage and small local microgrids are coming. 

My house is all electric powered 100% by my solar panels. I am totally ready to call Eversource and tell them I dont need their line anymore once battery storage comes down in price. That is already happening in Hawaii and New England is right behind Hawaii with the most expensive electricity in the US. Utilities are already using large scale battery storage here.

What happens in 20 years