• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid October 2019 Bombogensis Coastal

Ginx snewx

Wow at Logan. Looking at radar, the wind swath went SE -NW right over ern PYM county including Cape Cod, into Essex county. Just west of low track, the local circulation backed winds to more NE and weakened the Jet a bot due to forward motion. Logan went from 080 to 110 and gusted to 61kts as that occurred. The models really showed that well. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Wow at Logan. Looking at radar, the wind swath went SE -NW right over ern PYM county including Cape Cod, into Essex county. Just west of low track, the local circulation backed winds to more NE and weakened the Jet a bot due to forward motion. Logan went from 080 to 110 and gusted to 61kts as that occurred. The models really showed that well. 

Can you or anyone post the radar loop? Would love to see base velocity and reflectivity for this event. Pissed I fell asleep.

EDIT: Doubt it's possible with TDWR

Something I've really began to notice (especially the past several years) is how often tornado wording gets tossed around on *surprise* *surprise* social media every time we see a low pressure, triple point, or warm front set-up over the area. I totally get these can produce and "you never know" but the word gets tossed around so much people probably just disregard it. We're at a point now where there is enough research, coupled with meteorological knowledge, to have an idea of what variables and combination of variables must be present to truly warrant that risk. Yesterday in my opinion had like a 1%....probably even less chance of producing a tornado...is it really even worth mentioning it for odds that are so low? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

This was kind of a weird event. It was really high end right on the coast...models actually showed this pretty well where inland even 10 miles was drastically less impact. Some events can rip well inland (ala October 2017) but this one was basically if you were on the coast, you got absolutely crushed but just inland it was a typical strong storm (windy but under HWW criteria)...might be able to mix down a few HWW gusts on the WSW CAA today...esp southern areas and if we get some extra sunshine to steepen the LL lapse rates. 

I did clearly state yesterday that would be the case ... re the coastal concern.    Steve... I have lived withing surf-sound of the sea-shore ( say that 10 times fast ) before... I am climate savvy in both worlds, and have written well-received descriptive prosaic works that compare/contrast the culture and setting disparities between the two. But, that is the problem.. one is only as good as their last work in our culture, and since I'm disgruntled and full of snark shit these days... that's all that people read and remember now hahaha

But seriously, the 'weird' thing Will mentions cannot be underscored enough. It's something about this I mentioned a couple three days ago ... how unilaterally the model(s) was/were indicating a truck load of mid level kinematics ...unbalanced by virtually zippo low level thickness gradient across the region.  It was extreme in that idiosyncrasy .. to have that much mechanical power disking over top of an incipid surface layout. 

It may be counter intuitive ...but when it's cold in ALB but warm in ACK ..that horizontal difference means there is stronger frontogenic tendency between... certainly an elevated frontal slope escaping sky-ward with a steeply inclined upward slope; whereby, as DPVA and associated Q-G forcing moves along that sloped boundary ( 2005 Dec ), the inflow jets/restoring motion is thus forced upright very proficiently adding to and exacerbating the UVM.. That draws the deepening potential closer to the surface ...

Sorry for that - it's for the general reader...But the point is, this system was missing the critical component layout ... Man, if there was cold air available to this sucker it REALLY would have been wound up like a top!   Probably would have been 964 mb over ISP, with 850 -700 mb UVM so extreme that concomitant height falls would have drawn the total tropospheric depth SE toward that location and then we really would have had some unbelievable momentum issues and something historically profiling overall...  This basically maxed out what mid levels can do in the absence of surface parameterization - 

What I was really wrong about was the translation speed of this system. I think it is probably more a testament to its compensating mechanical power? It was enough so to quasi cut it off from the flow at least transiently, and thus resist the ambient faster flow over all. I kinda sorta mist that and figured the faster stuff would 'foist' this up toward down East Maine and NS more so than its stall point turned out to be, which was closer to southern NH.   Interest.. But I am highly confident a weaker mechanized system would have carried about NE

This turned out pretty close to what I visualized.  It was pedestrian for 80some % of the region or more, but relative extremeness relegated to shore zones - which may or may not be usefully compared to other events in the past that struck those regions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

My friend Tim is a caretaker up at Hermit Lake hut and he said gusts over 100mph in the Presedentials.  Snow on the rock pile. 

MWN has been over to just rain the past couple hours.... the live cam looks like the most miserable weather on the planet.  

33F rain at 100mph sheets coming at you.

Whiteface in NY getting destroyed.  It’s been in the upper 20s and under the comma head.  80mph winds and heavy snow. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This wind cannot be helping. 

Its not......

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
National Weather Service GRAY ME
959 AM EDT Thu Oct 17 2019

MEZ007>009-012>014-018>028-NHZ001>015-180000-
Northern Oxford-Northern Franklin-Central Somerset-
Southern Oxford-Southern Franklin-Southern Somerset-Interior York-
Interior Cumberland-Androscoggin-Kennebec-Interior Waldo-
Coastal York-Coastal Cumberland-Sagadahoc-Lincoln-Knox-
Coastal Waldo-Northern Coos-Southern Coos-Northern Grafton-
Northern Carroll-Southern Grafton-Southern Carroll-Sullivan-
Merrimack-Belknap-Strafford-Cheshire-Eastern Hillsborough-
Interior Rockingham-Coastal Rockingham-
Western And Central Hillsborough-
959 AM EDT Thu Oct 17 2019

...GUSTY WINDS WILL LINGER TODAY and MAY SLOW POWER RESTORATION
EFFORTS...

While the strong damaging winds from earlier this morning have
subsided, we`ll continue to see winds gust over 35 mph at times.
This may slow efforts to restore power and bring down a few
additional power lines or limbs that were weakened by the strong
winds earlier today.

If you plan on using a portable generator...be sure to observe
all safety precautions to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning...
electrocution...or fire. Be sure to operate your generator in a
dry outdoor area away from windows...doors and vents. Carbon
monoxide poisoning deaths can occur due to improperly located
portable generators!

$$

Schwibs

39 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

MWN has been over to just rain the past couple hours.... the live cam looks like the most miserable weather on the planet.  

33F rain at 100mph sheets coming at you.

Whiteface in NY getting destroyed.  It’s been in the upper 20s and under the comma head.  80mph winds and heavy snow. 

• Like 1

pretty impressive rain totals in New London county 

...NEW LONDON COUNTY...
   1.9 W NORWICH         6.15   730 AM 10/17  HADS                    
   3 SSW CENTRAL WATERF  6.14   700 AM 10/17  COCORAHS                
   2 ENE UNCASVILLE-OXO  5.68   700 AM 10/17  COCORAHS                
   NEW LONDON            5.14   823 AM 10/17  CWOP                    
   1 SW EAST LYME        4.82   600 AM 10/17  COCORAHS                
   3 WNW OAKDALE         4.41   700 AM 10/17  COCORAHS                
   2.0 SE NORWICH        4.40   700 AM 10/17  CO-OP OBSERVER          
   3 NNE NORWICH         4.38   700 AM 10/17  COCORAHS                
   1 NNW NEW LONDON      4.35   650 AM 10/17  COCORAHS                
   NEW LONDON            4.34   821 AM 10/17  CWOP                    

37 minutes ago, MarkO said:

I recorded a low of 28.60" in Lowell, seems a little low?

MWN had snow last night, but warmed up to produce rain. Looks like they should be flipping back to snow based on the soundings and current temp of 32.7F

You probably don't have it reduced to sea level. I'd bet that's actual station pressure. ASH had a min station pressure of 28.57" but the altimeter fell to 28.76".