Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid October 2019 Bombogensis Coastal

Ginx snewx

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Mm ...sounds like some storm-interpretive 'over-selling' going on in here, too... :)    

The most exciting aspect about this, relative to our "storm climatology," is that it happened at all. The run up to this thing was uniquely prepping the locals for histrionics because it's like the first 90 F day in June ? It seems reDICulously hot?  Same affect.  It came upon the region during an otherwise dearth of activity, a time in which folks had gotten a bit stirred by withdrawal symptoms ( kidding there...) But either way, a tad anxious for anything at all to happen - 

Look, we've had big rain and/or wind events in storms of lore and past. Plenty that exceeded this thing's impact and how many of them can one name ?  Damage is too sporadic and within expectations for an average New England blow. I'll let all the final reports wonder in before making a final assessment but this event is not that memorable to me, not between northern and central Mass.  

Also - imho - the low pressure descended to 973 mb over SW NH is a record:  that is more a function of 'first time' in that location - and has to be a spatial anomaly more than anything else.. because there are many 970 mb lows in CT/RI and eastern MA in the records...  Because of that spatial idiosyncrasy, that doesn't really reflect any enormity of the cyclone its self - so using that to justify this as something more I don't believe is entirely, objectively fair. 

I'll be fair and say it was more than completely uninspired, insipid and dull - which is the formal-esque definition of pedestrian.. but heh.. not by much when comparing it to everything I've ever experienced between Chicago and Maine. 

Great post..especially with regards to the spatial anomaly discussion. 

The system was certainly anomalous (defining this by 500 height anomalies as well as other anomalies involved), however, the output was not completely anomalous when you compare the output to the product responsible for the output. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Remember folks, it’s not over yet. HWW in effect for many today. Remain on guard and ready to help others in any way you can. We can do this.

I saw garbage cans and recycling cans flipped over on the way to the highway this morning...considered stopping to pick them up but I was running late and y commute is an hour. 

12 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I saw garbage cans and recycling cans flipped over on the way to the highway this morning...considered stopping to pick them up but I was running late and y commute is an hour. 

You’re a good soul. We need more like you but ones who can gather themselves quicker in the morning so they aren’t running late...but just the thought in itself, is a good deed. 

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Way inland peeps always downplaying coastal storms. Tried and true. Poor Tippy needs to move to the coast. Not as bad as Oct 17 here but it ripped and it certainly cranked SECT to EMA Maine. 500K without power 

I'm downplaying it and I'm 20mi from the South Coast..  It was NBD in Taunton.  A few 40mph gusts is like a breeze here.  Wake me up when I see 60mph+

57 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

If it were a sting jet though wouldn't we have seen a period of anomalous gusts? (Gusts that were much higher than the mean over a period of time?) If as that went through and there was a swath of gusts like 65-70+ mph I think you could certainly argue sting jet...but the magnitude of the gusts don't seem to be much of an outlier of what was experienced with the CAA and pressure rises. 

There were quite a few 60+ mph gusts on LI behind the low, including a 76 at Breezy Point and 83 at Stony Brook (both of those obviously need to be checked for accuracy), but it lines up with what a lot of models were showing in a narrow corridor. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You’re a good soul. We need more like you but ones who can gather themselves quicker in the morning so they aren’t running late...but just the thought in itself, is a good deed. 

Although garbage cans tipped over makes it easier for the animals to eat...bears, raccoons, and other creatures need to eat too 

Just now, purduewx80 said:

There were quite a few 60+ mph gusts on LI behind the low, including a 76 at Breezy Point and 83 at Stony Brook (both of those obviously need to be checked for accuracy), but it lines up with what a lot of models were showing in a narrow corridor. 

Oh wow...totally missed those. That's pretty dang impressive. Winds were about that strong not far from the sfc so they seem reasonable. 

28 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Way inland peeps always downplaying coastal storms. Tried and true. Poor Tippy needs to move to the coast. Not as bad as Oct 17 here but it ripped and it certainly cranked SECT to EMA Maine. 500K without power 

This was kind of a weird event. It was really high end right on the coast...models actually showed this pretty well where inland even 10 miles was drastically less impact. Some events can rip well inland (ala October 2017) but this one was basically if you were on the coast, you got absolutely crushed but just inland it was a typical strong storm (windy but under HWW criteria)...might be able to mix down a few HWW gusts on the WSW CAA today...esp southern areas and if we get some extra sunshine to steepen the LL lapse rates.