Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid October 2019 Bombogensis Coastal

Ginx snewx

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

More annoying is not possible. It was like that from the get go after sn change. Like he just magically changed his online identity and with that, came an abundant amount of nonsense and trash trolling. Surprised he’s allowed to hang around as long as he has. Ignore button is your best friend.

I still think this isn’t a big deal west of river in CT but we’ll see if a cell can drop the winds down to the surface and cause some weenies to bust on themselves before bedtime. 

Totally Agree. He needs a time out from Mods for sure.

Who was he before screen name change? 

I think we’re gonna get a Good slug of Rain..heavy at that.  Winds are always a disappointment most times inland here..but we’ll see if we can CAA some wind in our hoods??  

It should be interesting to see how this all comes together later today and overnight? 

I'm not so sure I agree with their notion of "window of opportunity for surface-based convection". There is a bit of a spike in some sfc-based instability on the CAMS, however, this really happens behind the area of precipitation and is tied into the steepening of the mlvl lapse rates as the main energy moves overhead...along with the dry punch. 

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Sting jet possibility?

it's a good question.

I'm not personally aware of any specific tech that's developed the specifically progs that kind of phenomenon, but there are recognizable attributes/synoptics that portend.  Typically, neggie tilt with extreme VV peeling NW around a deep mid level height fall ...which, heh, seems similar to this don't it - 

But, they don't all do it..   And, the isollabaric wind acceleration in this may be potent and could mimic that/and/or make it difficult to separate the two.  Edmond Fitzgerald 1975 bomb over Lake superior and more recently, the 2005 Dec even that strafed the south coast ...are both very good examples of stratospheric entrainment

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I'm not expecting much here, In between both areas of maxima on precip, And with the SLP cutting west and occluding over SNH maybe some wind in the 30 mph range and rainfall just over 1", Some will see a decent event though.

I'm prob gonna head to Cape Elizabeth at sunrise and hopefully see a 50 mph gust.  Mostly hoping for rippin' seas

36 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm not so sure I agree with their notion of "window of opportunity for surface-based convection". There is a bit of a spike in some sfc-based instability on the CAMS, however, this really happens behind the area of precipitation and is tied into the steepening of the mlvl lapse rates as the main energy moves overhead...along with the dry punch. 

I dunno those backside winds are often just standard take the leaves down variety for wct. I don’t recall a damaging wind event from a dry w/nw flow. Do you?

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I dunno those backside winds are often just standard take the leaves down variety for wct. I don’t recall a damaging wind event from a dry w/nw flow. Do you?

I can't either. I don't think backside winds will be overly crazy...but it will be region wide. I'm thinking 35-45 mph gusts on the backside...maybe 50 in the exposed areas.

There was this one event we had...think it was March...no clue on the year but it was between 2010-2012 and we had a crazy overperforming wind event on a NW flow...that was a completely different set-up than this was...we ended up with like full sun that day and mixed way deeper than forecast. There was a decent amount of damage reports/power outages...and trees were still naked. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

There was one nuts event in the Mid nineties(95 maybe, and it was late winter early spring), no leaves on the trees, and it was insane here.  Some of the strongest winds I’ve ever witnessed, and it was a sunny Morning/midday.  Winds were sustained very high, and gusts were upper sixties low seventies.  Somebody was killed in Farmington I believe when a tree blew down on their vehicle.  That event stands out in my mind for sure.   Very impressive event.  

maybe somebody will remember the exact year??  

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Looks like it is in the process of taking on a negative tilt now and jet streak starting to round the base of the trough. These next 2-3 hours will tell us all we've been wondering. 

I’ll tell ya that radar is looking impressive to me heading up from the south...definitely coming together, gonna rain hard here in a few hours. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

HRRR winds will ebb and flow with each run showing a slightly different depiction. I'm still a little less bullish for here..thinking 40-50 stuff. I think potential is higher, but I don't see concrete evidence that states it will happen for BOS area. 

It doesn't make sense unless something tracks right across the area.

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

I’ll tell ya that radar is looking impressive to me heading up from the south...definitely coming together, gonna rain hard here in a few hours. 

Yeah timed for rush hour too. I was hoping I'd be able to beat it home...going to be close at the speed it's going. 

I still feel like this is all timed a few hours quicker...which typically isn't a big deal but what I think that could mean is a later bombing out. I think the only thing in question right now is whether the Cape gets the goods with those winds and whether some of those get inland (not talking about backside winds). 

• Like 1

hmmm...the convection would actually develop on the backside of the precipitation shield...at least that's what the HRRR suggests. I recall a couple of events in the past where something similar happened. One was a winter event...maybe like 2009 and it was a crazy light show. I remember a while back...a long time ago Scott made some in-depth posts discussing all the processes involved behind that...big contributor was edge of dry slot.