Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid October 2019 Bombogensis Coastal

Ginx snewx

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

He said in that tweet, thunder storm winds in the negative trough. I know Forky can't read but et tu?

I'm not putting that much effort into cranky to read a twitter thread. He has neg trough winds and frontal winds so idk what the difference is. Based on the graphic I would think "frontal winds" is more CAA NW gradient related. Whatever though...it's just weird terminology.

17 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Maybe he's thinking Lake Quinsigamond?  "That party boat was the pride of the Shrewsbury side, coming back from some dive bar in Worcerster. As the pontoon boats go it was drunker than most with the crew and good captain all heavin".

The wreck of the evan pontoonin?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

We take 25% off. What makes me a little unsettled for gusts higher than 40 are how the mesolows fuji around each other on the Euro.  Those dry slot gravity waves took us out before too. Just checked with Fisher, baro low record in Oct in Boston is 982, good possibility this takes it down.  Dont think this has enough spatial time to ramp up huge areal area winds but if as modeled depict, some areas could be in for a good blow

40% off all the time

Just like hobby lobby

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'm not putting that much effort into cranky to read a twitter thread. He has neg trough winds and frontal winds so idk what the difference is. Based on the graphic I would think "frontal winds" is more CAA NW gradient related. Whatever though...it's just weird terminology.

Lol its actually in that post

FWIW BOX is going with 35-50 kt gusts on the coastal plain right now. I don't think that's an unreasonable forecast.

These never seem to work out here in NW Essex county however. I'll pretty much always take the under on these events for wind in these parts. October 29-30 2017 was an exception here though, LWM gusted to 51mph before it stopped reporting. I would guess we had a few 65/70 gusts that night. Surprisingly that event doesn't get talked abut much as it was an interesting setup. Those big pines were snapping all over that night.

SfcMap_09Z_Oct302017.gif

Oct30Wind.png

MEthuenWindDamage.jpeg

22 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

FWIW BOX is going with 35-50 kt gusts on the coastal plain right now. I don't think that's an unreasonable forecast.

These never seem to work out here in NW Essex county however. I'll pretty much always take the under on these events for wind in these parts. October 29-30 2017 was an exception here though, LWM gusted to 51mph before it stopped reporting. I would guess we had a few 65/70 gusts that night. Surprisingly that event doesn't get talked abut much as it was an interesting setup. Those big pines were snapping all over that night.

SfcMap_09Z_Oct302017.gif

Oct30Wind.png

MEthuenWindDamage.jpeg

Yea, it will be mundane here. No doubt.

I'm working on some VERY preliminary research up here on stable/neutral wind events and unsurprisingly the best correlation is 925 mb wind speed followed by 925 mb to surface lapse rates. 

I'm still working out the regression equation but it's roughly 50% of the 925 mb and 80% of the lapse rates (positive is more unstable). But since lapse rates rarely are in excess of 10 C/km, that only "adds" at most 10 knots to the forecast gusts. So 925 wind speed does a lot of the work in my regression. Would suggest 30-35 knots is a fine place to start.

That's using the GYX sounding and PWM gust (we don't track gusts here on the hourly).  Overall I think my first pass is failing to capture the higher end events.  So now I'm working on using the GYX upper air and PWM T/gust to see if that significantly changes things (lapse rates are often more unstable at PWM). 

• Like 1

One interesting aspect of the ensembles is that just about every single member is a bomb (GEFS and EPS). 

So it's not like there are a bunch of clunkers dragging the mean down, it's location dragging the mean down. I think it highlights the ingredients are all there for a big system.

While some of these runs are clearly dealing with latent heat release issues, the negatively tilting trof and favorable location within the upper jet structure are good positives to have on your side.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

One interesting aspect of the ensembles is that just about every single member is a bomb (GEFS and EPS). 

So it's not like there are a bunch of clunkers dragging the mean down, it's location dragging the mean down. I think it highlights the ingredients are all there for a big system.

While some of these runs are clearly dealing with latent heat release issues, the negatively tilting trof and favorable location within the upper jet structure are good positives to have on your side.

Anywhere in dacks or Catskills show potential  spots for “surprise “ elevation snow 2.5-3k . I.E Favorable areas for dynamic cooling

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Anywhere in dacks or Catskills show potential  spots for “surprise “ elevation snow 2.5-3k . I.E Favorable areas for dynamic cooling

It's not out of the question. Even in NH I have a few bufkit locations showing flashes of isothermal above 1500 ft.