• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Autumn/Winter 2019-2020 Banter/Complaint Thread

IWXwx

I’m not normally one to complain but it really bothers me when people exaggerate their snow fall totals especially in my area. I just saw a snowfall report of 6.8” in Macomb county. I’m calling that BS. I drive through almost the entire county from north to south twice a day and there’s no way they got that much from this storm. I would say they got 4” probably. Why do people have to treat their area like a sports team and they win or lose by whoever gets the most snow? Just tell the truth like snow freak does, no need to exaggerate, nobody’s going to win a prize for the snowiest area. Sorry, been wanting to get that off my chest for awhile now.

1 hour ago, slow poke said:

I’m not normally one to complain but it really bothers me when people exaggerate their snow fall totals especially in my area. I just saw a snowfall report of 6.8” in Macomb county. I’m calling that BS. I drive through almost the entire county from north to south twice a day and there’s no way they got that much from this storm. I would say they got 4” probably. Why do people have to treat their area like a sports team and they win or lose by whoever gets the most snow? Just tell the truth like snow freak does, no need to exaggerate, nobody’s going to win a prize for the snowiest area. Sorry, been wanting to get that off my chest for awhile now.

While I dont doubt some people over measure, some seem to lowball too. Measuring every 6 hours will account for a bit of compaction.  Today was a lot of blowing and drifting too. Im not in Macomb county, but I've heard several people report they had 6-7". Just food for thought.

2 hours ago, slow poke said:

I try to be as accurate as possible.  Often, I wait 8 or more hours to clear my snow board because I don't want to feel like I'm just trying to win a spotter competition.  When there is wind and the snow is drifting, I often end up measuring less than surrounding spotters.

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

While I dont doubt some people over measure, some seem to lowball too. Measuring every 6 hours will account for a bit of compaction.  Today was a lot of blowing and drifting too. Im not in Macomb county, but I've heard several people report they had 6-7". Just food for thought.

I’m actually visiting my dad right now, he lives in Washington Twp just south of Stoney Creek Metro park in Macomb county, maybe with all the strong winds a few of the inches blew into lake st Clair, lol. Honestly, I just asked my dad “how much snow do you think you got here from this storm” his exact words were “they said we got 6 inches but we only got 3” . Now he doesn’t go out and measure every 4 hours or anything like that but he has lived in MI for over 70 years and knows what a 1/2 foot of snow on the ground looks like which this storm did not produce here. I saw reports of 5” to the south and west of here so “maybe” they got 5” here but that’s pushing it, I’m still sticking with my 4”ish report.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, slow poke said:

I’m actually visiting my dad right now, he lives in Washington Twp just south of Stoney Creek Metro park in Macomb county, maybe with all the strong winds a few of the inches blew into lake st Clair, lol. Honestly, I just asked my dad “how much snow do you think you got here from this storm” his exact words were “they said we got 6 inches but we only got 3” . Now he doesn’t go out and measure every 4 hours or anything like that but he has lived in MI for over 70 years and knows what a 1/2 foot of snow on the ground looks like which this storm did not produce here. I saw reports of 5” to the south and west of here so “maybe” they got 5” here but that’s pushing it, I’m still sticking with my 4”ish report.

If that's the case, then shame for overmeasuring if done intentionally). It's actually been a pretty easy Winter for measuring because there's not been too much wind with the storms, with the exception of Wednesday's storm having lots of wind.  For what it's worth I can tell you that my storm total of 5.7" had 0.55" of liquid equivalent, and the snow depth was about 5-5.5 at the end of the storm. Current depth about 4.5.  I notice in open areas all bets are off, drifts of one plus feet and spots with grass tips peeking out. 

22 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

21 hours ago, slow poke said:

7 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

If that's the case, then shame for overmeasuring if done intentionally). It's actually been a pretty easy Winter for measuring because there's not been too much wind with the storms, with the exception of Wednesday's storm having lots of wind.  For what it's worth I can tell you that my storm total of 5.7" had 0.55" of liquid equivalent, and the snow depth was about 5-5.5 at the end of the storm. Current depth about 4.5.  I notice in open areas all bets are off, drifts of one plus feet and spots with grass tips peeking out. 

Compaction definitely plays a role, especially in long duration storms like this one. Plus with the marginal ground temperatures, the snow struggled to accumulate on the concrete until mid afternoon on Wednesday. Some people definitely drift measure or over-inflate their totals for sure, but there are definitely a lot of people that’ll just stick the ruler on the ground after the storm and call it good. For me, I have a snowboard that is placed as well as I can place it and go out and measure every 6 hours (00z, 06z, 12z, and 18z). I make sure it doesn’t get drifted into or anything, and clear it every 6 hours as well. I have one of those official snow measuring rulers and get down low when measuring so I’m staring at the lines straight on. The Tuesday night into Wednesday morning portion seemed to overperform imby, as I measured 2.0”, while areas farther north definitely didn’t get that much. It also basically didn’t accumulate on the concrete except for shaded areas. The afternoon round only brought 4.1” to mby, and I think some of the better banding avoided Macomb County. I can confidently say I measured 6.1” from the event, and then a random 0.1” Thursday morning. I was a student volunteer at DTX in 2016 and I’ve gone through multiple rounds of spotter training, so I know the importance of accurate reports and strive to not low-ball or high-ball amounts. Snow measuring is definitely tricky at times and some people treat it as a competition, so I get how that can be really frustrating. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 5:38 PM, MIstorm97 said:

Compaction definitely plays a role, especially in long duration storms like this one. Plus with the marginal ground temperatures, the snow struggled to accumulate on the concrete until mid afternoon on Wednesday. Some people definitely drift measure or over-inflate their totals for sure, but there are definitely a lot of people that’ll just stick the ruler on the ground after the storm and call it good. For me, I have a snowboard that is placed as well as I can place it and go out and measure every 6 hours (00z, 06z, 12z, and 18z). I make sure it doesn’t get drifted into or anything, and clear it every 6 hours as well. I have one of those official snow measuring rulers and get down low when measuring so I’m staring at the lines straight on. The Tuesday night into Wednesday morning portion seemed to overperform imby, as I measured 2.0”, while areas farther north definitely didn’t get that much. It also basically didn’t accumulate on the concrete except for shaded areas. The afternoon round only brought 4.1” to mby, and I think some of the better banding avoided Macomb County. I can confidently say I measured 6.1” from the event, and then a random 0.1” Thursday morning. I was a student volunteer at DTX in 2016 and I’ve gone through multiple rounds of spotter training, so I know the importance of accurate reports and strive to not low-ball or high-ball amounts. Snow measuring is definitely tricky at times and some people treat it as a competition, so I get how that can be really frustrating. 

Excellent post and I do the same.

52 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Caught something nasty.  Fever, chills, cough, etc.  Really came on like gangbusters on Monday with no real let up yet.  Officially diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection... I'd almost rather take my chances with coronavirus.

You and me both. My kids have both had hospital stays with RSV, so I assume they decided to share. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Caught something nasty.  Fever, chills, cough, etc.  Really came on like gangbusters on Monday with no real let up yet.  Officially diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection... I'd almost rather take my chances with coronavirus.

Same thing started for me Sunday evening. 103 fever, body aches, congested, nausea, chills. Finally ditched the fever yesterday. Had to burn 3 sick days  this week. 

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

5 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

You and me both. My kids have both had hospital stays with RSV, so I assume they decided to share. 

4 hours ago, Chambana said:

Same thing started for me Sunday evening. 103 fever, body aches, congested, nausea, chills. Finally ditched the fever yesterday. Had to burn 3 sick days  this week. 

Thanks for the warning guys. I'll be wearing this when visiting the board from now on.

index.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 2/29/2020 at 2:51 AM, hlcater said:

So... Apparently, its been 47 YEARS since CID last measured 12" of snow. I measured 12" in 2008, but apparently the airport did not. Absolutely astonishing how hard a measly 12" is around here.

http://www.midwestweathercenter.com/nstew-blog/2020/2/28/missing-the-big-one-streaks-without-a-big-snow-storm

12" of snow is not measly at all lol. That is a legitimate snowstorm, especially during the dry season for us

On 3/6/2020 at 9:47 PM, nwohweather said:

12" of snow is not measly at all lol. That is a legitimate snowstorm, especially during the dry season for us

I agree. Lots of 6-10" snowstorms, the 12+ are more rare in the midwest. I'll take our more frequent snows in a heartbeat over a feast or famine climate, but always want the big one.