• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Autumn/Winter 2019-2020 Banter/Complaint Thread

IWXwx

Still early, but I'm leaning towards a D or D- winter for a grade unless we can get a quality event between now and March.  Even though we have a good shot at getting close to avg if we can muster another 10", it's been a very unsatisfying winter.  Almost every snow event has been at night, and there's just not been much to get excited about overall this season.  Systems downtrending in the final 48hrs has been an unfortunate theme this winter.  We need a good widespread winter storm with some balls to wipe away the lameness that dominated this season.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jonger said:

It's like living in Cincinnati. 

GW

everything is shifting north.   We're like Nashville now.   Can't wait til Josh has to go through a 'columbus-esque' winter.... it's coming Josh...it's coming :devilsmiley:

Hopefully it keeps up.... wouldn't mind a solid Atlanta-type winter pattern in the future...I'm getting too old for the cold

6 minutes ago, buckeye said:

GW

everything is shifting north.   We're like Nashville now.   Can't wait til Josh has to go through a 'columbus-esque' winter.... it's coming Josh...it's coming :devilsmiley:

Hopefully it keeps up.... wouldn't mind a solid Atlanta-type winter pattern in the future...I'm getting too old for the cold

I dont mind the cold so much. Its the endless days of cloudy weather that depresses me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, buckeye said:

GW

I'm more or less blaming it on the jet stream being uncooperative. Yea, we might average an extra 1C spread out over a year, but this is simply pattern related.

• Like 1

Pretty brutal winter, especially with the abysmal model performance. Tough to get excited about any potential storm, as inevitably, they shear out and end up as garbage within 36 hours of the event. 

Ready to turn the corner into spring, but I have to keep reminding myself that we just started February.... 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

GW

Haha i hope it isnt coming. As jonger said, just a bad pattern this year, it happens.  We've "lucked" out since we are far the North, but it's been a bad pattern.

Pretty brutal winter, especially with the abysmal model performance. Tough to get excited about any potential storm, as inevitably, they shear out and end up as garbage within 36 hours of the event. 

Ready to turn the corner into spring, but I have to keep reminding myself that we just started February.... 

Feb is a breeze for me to get thru. It’s March and April that I struggle with, been pretty chilly springs lately.
  • Like 1

I'm on the north side of the mediocre winter climo for this sub so it's really got to be bad for me to complain.  I need to pick up 20 inches to reach average this year.  Wouldn't be so bad if I had a year in the last 8 that was 20 inches over but only had 2 that were at or slightly above average since I moved back. The only good thing about this trend is slowly lowering the average thereby lowering expectations.  Geez, next year if I get 6 in 24 hours with a 25mph wind I'll be comparing it to 77 :fulltilt:

Good to know that winter is happening somewhere.  Deadhorse, AK had a wind chill of -80 at 6 PM local time on 2/7/2020.  Temp -47 with a SW (offshore) wind at 15 mph.  It's their 2nd coldest wind chill on record, behind the -85 in January 2012.

Coldest AK wind chill in 2020 so far is -84 in Nuiqsut; temp -53 with a S wind at 12 mph on 2/7/2020.  The blog below said -82, but the METARs confirm -84.

http://ak-wx.blogspot.com/2020/02/north-slope-cold.html

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

I will be so glad when this winter is over. Tired of chasing ghosts on the models, hell a 2 day forecast can't even be done right.

Yeah I feel like a cat endlessly chasing after some kind of toy.  For a bit you can tell it feels kind of stupid for continuously chasing it, but then quickly resumes chasing after it.  

4 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah I feel like a cat endlessly chasing after some kind of toy.  For a bit you can tell it feels kind of stupid for continuously chasing it, but then quickly resumes chasing after it.  

I mean how many storms looked at least decent in the day 2 to 4 range only to be crap when they hit. I can count 3 within the last week.

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I mean how many storms looked at least decent in the day 2 to 4 range only to be crap when they hit. I can count 3 within the last week.

That mid-December storm was a let down. 

We haven't had legit blocking over the Arctic since 2010-11 in DJF. That probably plays a role as well. 

9 hours ago, Stebo said:

After the November 11 storm way overperformed and the Jan 18 storm met expectations, i laughingly thought this would be the season when Winter storms got better within short range. Since then its the frequency of snow has picked up but every event (except LES) has ended up much less than it first looked. 

• Sad 1