Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Autumn/Winter 2019-2020 Banter/Complaint Thread

IWXwx

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Ive never seen a soapbox like yours lol.  You have a right to your opinion but so does everybody else. You literally just said the climo in the entire lower 48 is terrible. I don't know why you don't just move to the North Pole lol. I have seen nobody sugar coating this Winter, if anything, any optimism it is immediately shot down with negativity.  Yes, the Winter as a whole has sucked. Yes, we have had many winters like this before. And yes, most other sub forums have it worse than us.  I spent lots of time outdoors whenever there has been snow this season, and I highly suggest others do the same. I said it last week and I will say it again, it absolutely kills me when I see someone, assumably sitting inside, complaining about how the long range looks bad when they have snow outside their window. Then when its melted, i do indoor activities lol.

Josh from downtown for 3.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

I hear you, but it’s all relative to what you hope for. Yes, 2013-14 actually felt like winter...but that’s how winter should be. Cold and snow. But December 2013 wasn’t that great and there was no White Christmas, so it could have been better. But overall, I agree it was pretty good. 

The only cool summer I remember here was 1992. No argument there. But 98 out of 100 summers have a majority of days that are 80F+ from June 10th through September 10th. In other words, it consistently feels like summer during summer. I don’t wake up on August 1st and think that it might be a cold day. But February 1st is never guaranteed to be a wintry day. Not many winters here are consistently wintry. We are all smart people; we know this, but no one wants to admit it. “Wintry” means a high temp in the 20s or colder with 2+ inches of snow cover. 

For people who love severe weather, I imagine that Chicagoland is not the best place to be either, due to the cool lake messing things up in the spring. Occasional bouts of severe weather, but you can’t count on it. And in the open plains, the visibility and openness is much better, to actually see, enjoy, and/or chase the storms. I guess I’m the andyhb of winter weather. Can you believe it - I made a post about a non winter aspect of weather. :lmao:

Yeah but most of the Plains averages less snow than Chicago and is even more prone to torching in winter.  :guitar:

2 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Beavis isn't asking for feet of snow, he's simply asking for respectable wintertime condtions in the middle of goddamn winter!

Its just a shit winter. We don't have great winters every year, unless we live where you live. Every year up there is a jackpot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Beavis isn't asking for feet of snow, he's simply asking for respectable wintertime condtions in the middle of goddamn winter!

:wub: 

And to others - it’s not meant to be preachy or a soapbox. You’re completely missing the point, and my intent. Just complaining about our climo, hoping others will empathize and join me. That’s how it is for a winter weenie. We all like winter, that’s why we’re here. Some of us get more sad and frustrated than others when we don’t have it. It’s a very emotional thing. In northern WI a couple weeks ago, the locals were talking about the weenie roasts on the frozen lakes. :gun_bandana:The lakes are always frozen this time of year and there is always snow hanging from the black spruce trees. That’s where it’s at, very simple. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Its just a shit winter. We don't have great winters every year, unless we live where you live. Every year up there is a jackpot.

But summer is a blip on the calendar to get that. The old saying about the snowbelts of the UP "If summer falls on a Sunday.." isn't far from the truth! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Actually i disagree. All of us winter lovers want respectable conditions for mid winter. In fact we had them just last week. There is absolutely NO denying this is not the courier and ives winter snowlovers want. And also, i am probably more like beavis than most on here. I dont care about how impressive the storm is (if i did, this winter is not that bad actually). I just want a winter landscape, and if it comes from sifter snow for days on end while the big ones are suppressed, so be it. But beavis typical gripes about climo and unrealistic demands of winter are very far off the grid. And this is in no way a knock on him, as i said, we are probably the best match on here.:drunk:

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

35 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Actually even that's not true. Snow weenies in washington dc or cincinnati would kill to have the winter Detroit or chicago has had thus far. Its all relative. I was up in bos neck of the woods in 2016 (or was it 17 bo?) when they had a very subpar winter for their standards. It was still about a foot to foot and a half of snow on the ground, but in marquette city there were actually bare patches in the urban areas. Of course I was in heaven, but that foot might as well have been a balmy 60° to the locals who expect feet upon feet at that location in the heart of winter.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

I hear you, but it’s all relative to what you hope for. Yes, 2013-14 actually felt like winter...but that’s how winter should be. Cold and snow. But December 2013 wasn’t that great and there was no White Christmas, so it could have been better. But overall, I agree it was pretty good. 

The only cool summer I remember here was 1992. No argument there. But 98 out of 100 summers have a majority of days that are 80F+ from June 10th through September 10th. In other words, it consistently feels like summer during summer. I don’t wake up on August 1st and think that it might be a cold day. But February 1st is never guaranteed to be a wintry day. Not many winters here are consistently wintry. We are all smart people; we know this, but no one wants to admit it. “Wintry” means a high temp in the 20s or colder with 2+ inches of snow cover. 

For people who love severe weather, I imagine that Chicagoland is not the best place to be either, due to the cool lake messing things up in the spring. Occasional bouts of severe weather, but you can’t count on it. And in the open plains, the visibility and openness is much better, to actually see, enjoy, and/or chase the storms. I guess I’m the andyhb of winter weather. Can you believe it - I made a post about a non winter aspect of weather. :lmao:

You're hoping for something that is not realistic for where we live.

Winter 2013/14 is not how with should be. That season was a severe anomaly in the grand scheme of things. And for you to say it was just "pretty good" is quite lol worthy. 

I can also tell you don't follow summer that closely given you think the only cool summer was 1992 in somewhat recent times. While yes, many summers have a majority of days from early June-early Sept that are 80+, this is just like most winters have a majority of days that are in the 30's or colder.

3 hours ago, Indystorm said:

Winter is over.  We had it in November.  Now I look forward to spring.  Saw my first robin of the season today on grass at the base of a small tree by the Greenfield public library.  Yes, I know that some robins stay here thru the winter, going into deeper forest cover, and then come out to lawns when temps get warmer.  But today is the earliest in my life I can ever recall seeing the first robin of the season.  It will be interesting to see who wins out during the month of Feb......the robin or the CPC forecast of colder temps.

When you are as old as us, that's saying something. lol  I'm rooting for the robin, but the last half of February may freeze their tail feathers.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I came up with the perfect Chicago winter for beavis.  164.8" of snow.  How did I come up with that number?  It is the total when you combine each snowiest month from Oct to May.  :snowing:

It would be even more if you added up the snow totals of all the GFS clowns all winter (see Cyclone77 above).

• Haha 1

YYZ is actually above normal for snow this winter still. Happens every winter but once I start seeing February and March roll around on the calendar I start getting excited about those first 50s and sun type days. My favorite part of winter isnt even really in winter. Its October-December when the first frosts and snowstorms herald a full change of seasons. 

I just finished re-reading about the 2012 Morch and subsequent Summer heatwave and im ready for spring and summer. Bring on the 90s and 100s haha  

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

:wub: 

And to others - it’s not meant to be preachy or a soapbox. You’re completely missing the point, and my intent. Just complaining about our climo, hoping others will empathize and join me. That’s how it is for a winter weenie. We all like winter, that’s why we’re here. Some of us get more sad and frustrated than others when we don’t have it. It’s a very emotional thing. In northern WI a couple weeks ago, the locals were talking about the weenie roasts on the frozen lakes. :gun_bandana:The lakes are always frozen this time of year and there is always snow hanging from the black spruce trees. That’s where it’s at, very simple. 

That’s why I advocate Minneapolis as a reasonable compromise city for those who love winter weather but need to support a family. Snowcover since November 26, frozen lakes that just hosted a large national pond hockey tournament...and it’s been a mild with average snowfall. 

You be you Beavis.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Winnipeg also has had two days this month where the high failed to go above  0F. 

Im sure they have. It was strictly a snowfall comparison as to what the UP might average without lakes.  Winnipeg, like Minneapolis only even more so, certainly makes the most snow cover wise out of the amount of snowfall they receive. But we were strictly discussing how much snow the Great Lakes may avg... without the Great Lakes