Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Autumn/Winter 2019-2020 Banter/Complaint Thread

IWXwx

10 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, I need northerly flow or at least some minor variation of that to have a shot.  So not a common occurrence but not very rare either.  Just haven't had a setup where that wind direction and good parameters and long enough residence time have come together.  

Yeah, lake effect hasn't been great this year. Even places like Buffalo aren't doing too good in that department. 

The best bet for winds straight out of the North is after a storm cuts through the Upper Lakes and cold Arctic air flows in from the Upper Midwest and Hudson Bay. We'll see if that changes in February as the lakes are open for business. Hopefully you get lucky with a nice streamer. 

I'm liking the 7 to 8 inch snow along the I-70 corridor in IL and IN earlier this season.  Now I am starting to look for tornado and svr outlooks for 2020 for the south and midwest.  Good luck Chi towners.  My family up in the Calumet region is moaning the lack of snow there and envious of this latest storm giving snow to areas north and west and over in Michigan.

• Like 2

Gonna be the first to bring this up, but as far as temps and snowfall, this winter has rivaled 2011-2012 in terms of suckiness. 

Last year was the worst winter I’ve ever personally experienced. So much rain ice and wind - lots of fog too. This winter is even worse so far. Still time this winter for some fun tho, good luck!
  • Like 1

Since the final weekend of December, every single weekend had an overcast day occurring on at least Saturday or Sunday, even with precipitation. The final weekend of December, as well as this weekend have been absolute shutouts. Next week does not look to be any better. Neither would Groundhog Day weekend be any better at all, according to the GFS that has been hinting it for almost every run for several days. I'm beginning to favor the weekend solutions, especially on the GFS. At this going rate, this winter will be mostly remembered for its sunless weekends.

49 minutes ago, Spartman said:

Since the final weekend of December, every single weekend had an overcast day occurring on at least Saturday or Sunday, even with precipitation. The final weekend of December, as well as this weekend have been absolute shutouts. Next week does not look to be any better. Neither would Groundhog Day weekend be any better at all, according to the GFS that has been hinting it for almost every run for several days. I'm beginning to favor the weekend solutions, especially on the GFS. At this going rate, this winter will be mostly remembered for its sunless weekends.

Welcome to winter in the midwest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chinook said:

Are there any Toronto area people talking about this storm? The models are not in total agreement, but Toronto could get some snow on Saturday.

Going to be mostly rain before a switch over to wet snow especially across higher elevations away from the Lake. 

NAM 3km has ~4" for Toronto but that all depends how fast temps drop on Sat.

Better get at least 3" tomorrow night.  Getting an inch followed by 30+ hours of rain/mostly non accumulating snow and then like 2.5" Fri night/Sat would be a messed up way of getting your first 3" "event"

Seems we’ve had very similar winters so far. Only once did I have to shovel last year and so far this year I haven’t had to shovel. Cold, rain, fog, ice.

Yesterday was nice in the morning with some flakes falling. I just miss the feel of a winter - I’m not asking for much
  • Like 1

ZZZZZZZZZZZ........

Sunday
Cloudy, with a high near 35. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday Night
Cloudy, with a low around 29.
Monday
Cloudy, with a high near 37.
Monday Night
Tuesday
Tuesday Night
Wednesday
Wednesday Night
Thursday
Cloudy, with a high near 39.

Just now, IWXwx said:

ZZZZZZZZZZZ........

Sunday
Cloudy, with a high near 35. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday Night
Monday
Monday Night
Tuesday
Tuesday Night
Wednesday
Wednesday Night
Thursday
Cloudy, with a high near 39.

No sun in sight.   A Spartman special.

• Like 1

IWX earlier today says it all...

For Sunday through Thursday little if any precipitation is
expected with seasonably mild temperatures for this time of year.
Highs should be from around 35 to 40 each day with lows from the
mid 20s to lower 30s each night. Most noticeable will be the
absence of arctic air with the continued pattern of above normal
temperatures (Fort Wayne has only had 3 days the temperature has
been below normal during the past nearly 5 weeks).

This winter really is pretty awful.  I'd give it a D or D- at this point.  The thing saving it from an F is the Halloween snow, which was pretty cool.  But other than that, it checks all the boxes for failure whether it's a lack of snow overall, lack of any remotely decent storm imby, terrible December (a month I prioritize), etc.  

It reminds me of some of those 1990s winters growing up.  Getting a 4-6" snow was a pretty big deal.  Really got spoiled between 1998 and 2007... off the top of my head I can think of 5 double digit storms in that timeframe with 2 of them being near/over a foot and a half.  It's been so bad I'd even take the GHD sleet repeat at this point lol  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

This winter really is pretty awful.  I'd give it a D or D- at this point.  The thing saving it from an F is the Halloween snow, which was pretty cool.  But other than that, it checks all the boxes for failure whether it's a lack of snow overall, lack of any remotely decent storm imby, terrible December (a month I prioritize), etc.  

It reminds me of some of those 1990s winters growing up.  Getting a 4-6" snow was a pretty big deal.  Really got spoiled between 1998 and 2007... off the top of my head I can think of 5 double digit storms in that timeframe with 2 of them being near/over a foot and a half.  It's been so bad I'd even take the GHD sleet repeat at this point lol  

I'm surprised at the relative lack of big lake snows there.  Ever since you moved from LAF back to where you are now I can't remember you having a major lake event there.  Maybe I just forgot lol.  I always figured anywhere from the IN/IL border and points east got blasted all the time during the winter.  Guess it isn't as common as I thought.

9 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

I'm surprised at the relative lack of big lake snows there.  Ever since you moved from LAF back to where you are now I can't remember you having a major lake event there.  Maybe I just forgot lol.  I always figured anywhere from the IN/IL border and points east got blasted all the time during the winter.  Guess it isn't as common as I thought.

I wish that were true.  If I had to guess I'd say Lake county IN gets a les event of 6+ (talking all or mostly les, not 5" of synoptic followed by a couple inches of les) once every few years on average, with the eastern part of the county having a little better chance than west.  Probably the standout event since I moved back was 3/14/2017.  It had the heaviest snow rates I have ever witnessed... a little over 4"/hr and it was actually the whole hour and not an extrapolated thing of it snowing an inch in 15 minutes.  Wish I would've been here for the Jan 2014 event, that was a real big dog les with about 2 feet that fell very quickly.  

• Like 1