• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Autumn/Winter 2019-2020 Banter/Complaint Thread

IWXwx

Another episode of Chicago snowfall futility, brought to you by me.

I had to get a little creative with this one since the early season snows have helped to put the ultimate low mark out of reach, and also did not want to get too far ahead of myself by writing off the entire month of January.

So, this is least snowfall from November 15 to January 15.  If less than 2" additional occurs through January 15, then a top 10 (or should we say bottom 10) mark will be achieved.  

1.3", 11/15/2012 to 1/15/2013

1.7", 11/15/2001 to 1/15/2002

2.0"  11/15/2019 to 1/3/2020

2.4"  11/15/1912 to 1/15/1913

2.6"  11/15/1889 to 1/15/1890

2.7"  11/15/1936 to 1/15/1937

3.5"  11/15/1923 to 1/15/1924

3.6"  11/15/1943 to 1/15/1944

3.9"  11/15/1906 to 1/15/1907

4.0"  11/15/1905 to 1/15/1906

• Sad 2

When I moved back home to the South Bend area I thought I'd see a big dog within a couple of years. I haven't seen a foot of snow on the ground since March 2013 when I lived in Jacksonville, IL.

I moved back to South Bend in March of 2018. Last winter, Central Illinois got a big dog while I was nickel and dimed up here (The snows were more frequent...but I want a big one!). The biggest snow I've gotten in South Bend so far is about 6 inches. While the snow is more frequent it's been incredibly frustrating for me personally. Even the lake-effect has been disappointing outside of one good event this past November.

I know it'll all even out eventually, but I figured this was a good place to vent for now. 

Thank you for attending my Ted Talk. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I do think that later January into February will be wintry, plus the UP already has good snow. I will be going up there in February as usual.

Have you ever considered just flying out to the Rockies? Better scenery for just sightseeing.

28 minutes ago, Jonger said:

We're thinking about buying mountain sleds and storing them in Denver. Just rent a truck... load em up and head up into the mountains.

Even where I live wasn't worth the cost of the machines, maintenance, gear, licensing,permits to use so little. Bought a SxS and will be buying a couple pwc's this spring to use at our seasonal campground.  First winter in 8 years where I haven't really spent much attention on snow or lack of snow and its been a nice reprieve. I still like the snow but now it doesn't really have any impact on my hobbies now has been nice. I figured if I wanted to ever sled would just go to the Rockies and rent a mountain sled,hotel. 

3 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Even where I live wasn't worth the cost of the machines, maintenance, gear, licensing,permits to use so little. Bought a SxS and will be buying a couple pwc's this spring to use at our seasonal campground.  First winter in 8 years where I haven't really spent much attention on snow or lack of snow and its been a nice reprieve. I still like the snow but now it doesn't really have any impact on my hobbies now has been nice. I figured if I wanted to ever sled would just go to the Rockies and rent a mountain sled,hotel. 

Snow in northern lower is really hit or miss. If you lived in the U.P it would be a different story. 

I'm really not all that bummed about things right now... My plan is to just pay this sled off and ride when I can ride. I bought a 1200 Renegade-X for longevity... Oil changes and wearable parts. Beyond that, ownership isn't much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonger said:

Snow in northern lower is really hit or miss. If you lived in the U.P it would be a different story. 

I'm really not all that bummed about things right now... My plan is to just pay this sled off and ride when I can ride. I bought a 1200 Renegade-X for longevity... Oil changes and wearable parts. Beyond that, ownership isn't much.

Almost dying in 5' of snow during a blizzard seems to have really taken the passion out of your hobby.  I rode through that area this fall and stopped to think how scary I'm sure that was and how alone that must have felt being so far from anyone or anything.  It would have changed me I think.

There's been plenty of snow up here for riding for a while now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I've been to the rockies and they are beautiful, but I love going to the UP in Winter. Not to mention it is cheaper lol

I doubt it really going to look much different with 2 feet or 4 feet. 

You need to rent a sled if you want to see deep into the U.P.  

5 hours ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

That one 9in in November storm is feeling like it'll be the only big one. Knowing our luck, winter will only show up in like late Feburary and March again if at all

The 1st 2 to 3 weeks of January have looked hostile for some time now, so that's not going to change. We still may sneak in some storms in that timeframe however, and I do feel it does turn more favorable later in January and into February. That said, don't be surprised if a 9" snowstorm ends up being the largest of the Winter regardless of how snowy of a period you end up getting.

15 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Was thinking about starting a poll thread asking when will the next storm thread be needed/created.  Could just set the over/under for Jan 25 I guess.

We are having one for the weekend by God. I don't care if it's a pencil thin band.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, DaveNay said:

If this extended muddy season continues for another 2-4 weeks, I'm just going to give up and replace the carpet in the spring.

We have 4 big dogs and a mop by the back door.  I think my feelings on mud have been expressed over the years.  Seems to be a running theme the past few winters.  Mushy mud during the day then frozen boot piercing stalagmites at night.   

We have 4 big dogs and a mop by the back door.  I think my feelings on mud have been expressed over the years.  Seems to be a running theme the past few winters.  Mushy mud during the day then frozen boot piercing stalagmites at night.   

3 dogs here. I hear you 100% brother. Last winter and this winter has been especially bad.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jackstraw said:

I'm two weekends out from a weekend camping trip / orienteering race and we like 20 degrees.  The ground is frozen and won't top thaw even with direct sun and it allows for light clothing since moving / hiking keeps one warm.  I already told my friends to sadly plan for mud.