Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Autumn/Winter 2019-2020 Banter/Complaint Thread

IWXwx

Just now, Hoosier said:

ORD has 8.4".  I think you are looking at only the November total but ORD also had the late October storm.  

You're right. I forgot about that. I was only looking at November. So if they're at 8.4", double digits by the end of the month is a no-brainer.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Serious question for a die hard winter guy like yourself.  Which would you rather have, the type of regime we've been in lately or something really torchy like a run of 10-15+ above average?  Have to pick one.

Ugh...if I had to pick one, it would be the current regime, because it’s at least a bit more of a wintry feel than 10-15+ above average temps. More wintry is always better...even if we are talking a score of 5 out of 100 vs. 2 out of 100.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Ugh...if I had to pick one, it would be the current regime, because it’s at least a bit more of a wintry feel than 10-15+ above average temps. More wintry is always better...even if we are talking a score of 5 out of 100 vs. 2 out of 100.

Had a feeling you might say something like that, but wasn't sure.  There are definitely people who are in the camp of "if it's not going to snow it might as well torch" 

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Had a feeling you might say something like that, but wasn't sure.  There are definitely people who are in the camp of "if it's not going to snow it might as well torch" 

I am with beavis. At least it's been chilly outside. We had off and on flakes throughout the week. It's annoying that we were buried in beautiful deep snow in mid November and have nothing on the ground in early December, but but give me cold and gray any day over torch.

10 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Another “good” thing about the current regime is that snowpack is building north of about 44N. If we were torching, we’d lose that snowpack too...which would make a bad situation even worse. 

• Like 3

December has sort of developed a reputation for sucking, or at least not being as good as other winter months.  Is there any truth to that?  Well, here are composite temperature maps of the last 20 Decembers, Januaries and Februaries.  1999-2018 was used for December since December 2019 is obviously ongoing. 

cd2607_fb90_a03d_c947_0_12_ce0e_3f01_343_12.2.4_prcp.png.0b3d399134d7c0c45fea814f3421f572.png

cd2607_fb90_a03d_c947_0_12_ce0e_3f01_343_12.2_53_prcp.png.8b43ea89f5335c724f37a0a70d9c46e1.png

cd2607_fb90_a03d_c947_0_12_ce0e_3f01_343_12.3_47_prcp.png.13dc3d93b0a5f78b5bb24e186ef21020.png

• Like 2

While those maps tell the temps part of the story, I'm more concerned about snowfall (or lack of it). The past (6) Decembers here have such a wide swing in totals, yet when averaged equal 12.96" per year. 

My long-term Dec avg? 13.0"

Snow wise, the month has become bi-polar to the extreme lately with as little as 1.2" in 2014 to 27.6" three years later.  I'm not sure there's any such thing as a "normal" December any more.  

Yeah it would've been interesting to do composite snowfall maps for each of those months, but not sure how to do that.  Despite the December temp composite running on the warm side (around/over 1F warmer than 1981-2010 averages in much of the Midwest for a 20 year composite is actually kinda noteworthy), I suspect a December snow composite over the same period would be closer to if not a bit snowier than average in some areas as there has been a wildly snowy December or two... 2000 immediately comes to mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah it would've been interesting to do composite snowfall maps for each of those months, but not sure how to do that.  Despite the December temp composite running on the warm side (around/over 1F warmer than 1981-2010 averages in much of the Midwest for a 20 year composite is actually kinda noteworthy), I suspect a December snow composite over the same period would be closer to if not a bit snowier than average in some areas as there has been a wildly snowy December or two... 2000 immediately comes to mind.

Not surprising since we've seen a lot of "snowless" Decembers over the past 20 years. I'm sure years like 2018, 2015, 2011 and 2006 come to mind. However, when you consider some of the more snowier Decembers, a majority of them were La Nina's (2000, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2016 and 2017). 

• Like 1