• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

Rain yesterday into the early morning today went over to snow. Briefly accumulated about half an inch in the city, after weeks in the 60s/70s. Will be interesting to see what the official snow measurement is - they recorded 0.10" as snow, but all above freezing. Probably only 0.2" or something.

Our house southwest of Bellvue in the foothills had 10” on the ground yesterday morning.  It snowed off and on during the day yesterday but not much more accumulation. 

I’ve kind of lost track of our season total so far but we’ve had our share.  I would say 100” +|- 10%.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mayjawintastawm said:

Good for you Chinook and ValpoVike! We are busting. Snow didn't begin till 6 AM and it snowed for 2+ hours accumulating 1 inch, then changed to freezing drizzle. What a difference a few miles makes!

Sorry to hear that!  I am up to 18" now.  Hoping to get to 20" before all is done.  Then Spring :)

2 hours ago, ValpoVike said:

Sorry to hear that!  I am up to 18" now.  Hoping to get to 20" before all is done.  Then Spring :)

I measured 9.2" The light wind is knocking a lot of snow off the tree branches. All the tree branches have 3" on them.

Edit: 10.5"

I'll be very curious to see the final snow totals for the West in May, but I was pretty optimistic for the high areas for snow for Oct-May last Fall- that looks pretty good overall. The models / SOI are already hinting at some kind of big system at the end of the month with a lot more snow and severe weather too.

And edit: got 3" more this PM so 4" total on this storm, not a total bust after all. With the 4.2" the other day, that makes 11.0" for the month and 89.1" for the season. Pretty sure it's the snowiest "winter season" since we arrived in 2010.

BTW, I heard that the majority of the peach crop in Palisade was lost this week. That REALLY stinks. Best produce in Colorado.

3 hours ago, raindancewx said:

I'll be very curious to see the final snow totals for the West in May, but I was pretty optimistic for the high areas for snow for Oct-May last Fall- that looks pretty good overall. The models / SOI are already hinting at some kind of big system at the end of the month with a lot more snow and severe weather too.

It take guts to put out a winter forecast and I salute you for that and the related detailed analysis. But I think it’s important to honestly grade oneself at the end too. The reality is that the mountains throughout the West have generally had an ok but not great snow year, the Front Range of CO had a good to phenomenal snow year, and most points east of there had a mediocre to historically bad snow year. Meanwhile, here’s your forecast: 

I don’t mean to be a troll but think accountability is important for everyone who,, to your credit, tries to predict the weather. Anyway, hope you’re right about the action to come.

NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. – The U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron “Thunderbirds” will honor Colorado’s front line COVID-19 responders with a series of community flyovers following the U.S. Air Force Academy’s commencement flyover on April 18, 2020.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:15 AM, mayjawintastawm said:

Long as it doesn't get below 20 it should be fine... the buds are starting to come out and it would be nice to see flowers and fruit, especially this year. We've had too many 15 degree mornings in April the past few years.

So that didn't happen. Low temps of 6 -14 in Loveland.

tv4raxb.jpg

5 hours ago, Chinook said:

The USAF flyover did not quite go as planned. I drove down toward Eisenhower Blvd at 12:45. I was expecting to see the jets from 12:50 to 1:00. I finally gave up on it and came home. I heard some distant jets at 1:45.

The AFA graduation was delayed, which caused delays to the flyover.

On 4/18/2020 at 3:08 PM, Chinook said:

So that didn't happen. Low temps of 6 -14 in Loveland.

Yeah, down to 8 F one morning and 12 F another one last week, with others in the mid teens. Amazing sustained cold for this time of year. Unfortunately, spring is as gray as fall was after 10/12. All the blossoms on the trees, even those that were not really out yet, are dead. Maybe a few apple trees in shadier locations will recover, hopefully. 

On 4/18/2020 at 7:26 PM, smokeybandit said:

The AFA graduation was delayed, which caused delays to the flyover.

We have friends in the business who were updating us- delays, plus rain showers and low level turbulence, made for a less than ideal tour with a couple shortcuts toward the end. Still, they did what they could before they bugged out to Nellis. A 7 hour mission in a fighter with multiple midair refuelings makes for a tough day!