• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

I agree great moisture from this storm!  I’m in the foothills northwest of Fort Collins - we got about 8.5” of snow and pretty good rain before the snow started (probably .5  - 1.0 “)

This storm was just perfect - great moisture but not an excessive amount of snow/ damage that people just need to deal with right now.

April looks like a much more interesting than March, I think we all got a bit spoiled last month. There was a sh-t load of moisture in the Southwest this month, it just missed south of me, unlike in late November.

The CFS has trended very cold for April in the West, except for where I am. We'll see where it ends up - it usually has some skill for the next month this close to it.

The Canadian actually had a very good forecast for March on Feb 29th - new outlook from them should be out tomorrow. Definitely beat the CFS -

The forecast big -NAO is actually pretty consistent with the cold West the CFS has for April. The wet signal for the CO/WY border is there too. The CFS map is actually pretty close to what I forecast in my Spring Outlook from February, just a bit colder everywhere.

The GFS and the UKMET are still holding on to the forecast of several inches of snow at Larimer/Boulder Counties. The NWS expects > 3" above ~8000ft in Larimer County and areas closer to Casper, WY. It'll be a shocker, for sure. At my area, we had 70 degrees today.

I think my place got 1.63" of precipitation in March, and 5.3" of snow. This is a slightly above average value of precipitation, even though Fort Collins-CSU got a little below average. Temperatures were just a bit above normal. This time of year generally the day of the maximum snowpack depth in Colorado, so I thought I might post some maps.

7WAoFY6.png

yUXyetb.png

TmcY0Ir.png

Ja1pqaB.png

15 hours ago, Chinook said:

The ECMWF/GFS/Canadian are starting to agree on snow for Sunday and Monday, possible lows in the mid-20's Tuesday morning. It's unseasonable, but I guess there are no leaves on the trees just yet.

Long as it doesn't get below 20 it should be fine... the buds are starting to come out and it would be nice to see flowers and fruit, especially this year. We've had too many 15 degree mornings in April the past few years.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:15 AM, mayjawintastawm said:

Long as it doesn't get below 20 it should be fine... the buds are starting to come out and it would be nice to see flowers and fruit, especially this year. We've had too many 15 degree mornings in April the past few years.

I actually saw a mosquito up here on my deck last night.  That is super rare any time of the year.

For our snowstorm, model QPF values are 0.4" to 0.8" for the plains,  1.0"-1.30" for mountains. I am pretty sure that winter storm warnings will be issued for areas of Wyoming, Nebraska, and the Colorado mountains above 9000ft. Northeast Colorado could get a winter weather advisory or possibly even a winter storm warning. Powering up this system, a shortwave trough in a strong northwesterly flow out of northern Canada. You could say that this is an arctic air mass in central Canada. Canada is usually some 25 degrees F warmer at this time of year.

Euro has been showing a pretty good snow storm for New Mexico on its last few runs. The timing is pretty consistent with the huge SOI crash early month, and also the 3.5 month lag to the late December system. Still amazes me that since I've lived in Albuquerque we've had more snow in the city in April than in March, but, it looks like 1-3" is possible here if temps are cold enough and the wind cooperates. Haven't looked in detail yet though, since location for the precip shield will continue to change.