Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October Coastal - Big Rain Potential

dendrite

26 minutes ago, Greg said:

This situation sort of reminds me about in the winter when storms do hit us but because of the super dry airmass or positioning/strength of the high pressure, the snow just has a hell of a time reaching the ground or at about half of it gets eaten up overall.  I hope this isn't a harbinger of things to come.:yikes:

Was thinking the same thing when I was outside under big cold raindrops but every storm is different not predictors

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Dream job for a snow deprived weenie!

Oh man is she in for a treat.  

Either that or we know who the sacrificial lamb is if SNE gets crushed over and over while NNE smokes circus for 3 months.  Can’t wait for her to have that first big NW flow upslope event.

• Haha 1

Not for me ... I was down on this all along... 

case 1   NAM is routinely too far W and NW with cyclonic influence in the west Atlantic.  Not sure if that is true everywhere...it may be something unique to the oceanic-continental interfacing that exerts intense baroclinic compression in that vicinity that sometimes entices the physical processing of the model to overdo it at times.   

case 2   I'm not sure that is entirely untrue for all guidance frankly - if perhaps just more vividly coherently biased in the NAM than those others.  Several significant cases where W-NW arcs were too extreme in models ...  NWS bit hard on a Euro lie just a few recent years ago ( for example ) when that model was backing in a whopper CCB shield with 20+" of champagne snow in 55 mph wind gust clear to NE NJ and they had all of NYC in a high-end headline blizzard warning ... which busted with equal failure in the other direction. This stems back too...  The big event in March 2001 that pivot into a C-NE and effectively jilted everyone ~ south ..that thing was originally slated to be an MA/NE juggernaut and that all but failed in most areas outside of central and N NE ... 

case 3   I mentioned two or three days ago that the isentropic surfaces on the Euro did not look that impressive ( anyway... before even considering the biases ) which made me wonder where the QPF was really coming from.. .Yeah, we could have argued for oreographic enhancing but 2 " ?  heh... that's what I was seeing on some media coverage and I wasn't honestly a big fan of bigger numbers.  

I am actually singularly impressed that a cyclone of this satellite presentation and verification even got this far, considering the antecedent loading/kinematics were so weak.  It seems this low was really almost born out of planetary torque balancing more so than a typical 'slug' of wind/max associated vorticity advection in the deep layer.  Default in other words, ... big high moves E of Ontario over 2 to 3 languid days and all of the basic S of NS is in an E trade scenario probably just ends up twisting in on its self.  Not sure that has the same mechanical forcing to drive a heavy rain shield W though.   Some of this part is speculation...  admittedly.  

Overall, it didn't sit well with me and I said so. 

This system really was an epic waste of time and coverage.   It really had 0 redeeming value to it... All it did was ruin the sensible weather for three days, while simultaneously busting forecasts.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not for me ... I was down on this all along... 

case 1   NAM is routinely too far W and NW with cyclonic influence in the west Atlantic.  Not sure if that is true everywhere...it may be something unique to the oceanic-continental interfacing that exerts intense baroclinic compression in that vicinity that sometimes entices the physical processing of the model to overdo it at times.   

case 2   I'm not sure that is entirely untrue for all guidance frankly - if perhaps just more vividly coherently biased in the NAM than those others.  Several significant cases where W-NW arcs were too extreme in models ...  NWS bit hard on a Euro lie just a few recent years ago ( for example ) when that model was back 20+" of champagne snow in 55 mph wind gust to NE NJ and had all of NYC in a high end headlined blizzard warning ... which busted with equal failure in the other direction. This stems back too...  The big event in March 2001 that pivot into a C-NE thing was originally slated to be an MA/NE juggernaut and that all but failed in most areas outside of central and N NE ... 

case 3   I mentioned two or three days ago that the isentropic surfaces on the Euro did not look that impressive ( anyway... before even considering the biases ) which made me wonder where the QPF was really coming from.. .Yeah, we could have argued for oreographic enhancing but 2 " ?  heh... that's what I was seeing on some media coverage and I wasn't honestly a big fan of bigger numbers.  

I am actually singularly impressed that a cyclone of this satellite presentation and verification even got this far, considering the antecedent loading/kinematics were so weak.  It seems this low was really almost born out of planetary torque balancing more so than a typical 'slug' of wind/max associated vorticity advection.  Default in other words, ... bit high moves E of Ontario over 2 to 3 languid days and all of the basic S of NS is in an E trade scenario probably just ends up twisting in on its self.  Not sure that has the same mechanical forcing to drive a heavy rain shield W though.   Some of this part is speculation...  admittedly.  

Overall, it didn't sit well with me and I said so. 

This system really was an epic waste of time and coverage.   It really had 0 redeeming value to it... All it did was ruin the sensible weather for three days, while simultaneously busting forecasts.  

2 of the worst busts I've ever been apart of living in NE NJ. Such disappointment in 2001 when I was a kid expecting 2-3 feet of snow and barely ending up with 6 inches. I can still picture that Weather Channel graphic with a huge area of purple covering pretty much all of the Mid-Atlantic into SNE saying "widespread 2-3+ feet" and Paul Kocin honking hard.

Jan 15' was like 50 miles too far west with the big snows but because it's one of the most populated 50 mile areas in the country, it was a big deal.

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

the 'swaying sky scrapers' makes it! hahaha ... oy

I don't know what that is from, but it sounds like a numbed version of a p-wave event off and asteroid impact scenario.   

Pretty sure it was a discussion out of the NO NWS or NHC for Katrina.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

She went right to the top of the class, rivaling J.Spin inch for inch out of the sky.

Alex and Diane are good people and we get another NNE poster too!  All is good even though the SNE storm is not quite working out.

Also great sunset possibilities for those on the western edge of the cloud shield later today

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

She went right to the top of the class, rivaling J.Spin inch for inch out of the sky...after so much winter rain in recent years.

I can’t even figure out some of those set ups where she got rain and even the cape got snow LOL. But good for her and hopefully she has a fun winter up there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

She’s not even going to work. She’ll be out in the snow like Winona Ryder in Edward Scissorhands....just twirling around in the dendrites. 

Don't know how she would be able to work anyways being in awe with snow falling 24/7 outside the window D-J-F-M....................:lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Could also throw out the ol’ “it’s good to see coastal storms in October” as that’s a weenie lore good news sign.

It was about this time in 1995 when the coastals began their endless parade.  (A parade that sadly was contaminated by some truly destructive cutters in JFM.)

2 of the worst busts I've ever been apart of living in NE NJ. Such disappointment in 2001 when I was a kid expecting 2-3 feet of snow and barely ending up with 6 inches. I can still picture that Weather Channel graphic with a huge area of purple covering pretty much all of the Mid-Atlantic into SNE saying "widespread 2-3+ feet" and Paul Kocin honking hard.

Jan 15' was like 50 miles too far west with the big snows but because it's one of the most populated 50 mile areas in the country, it was a big deal.

I was fortunate enough to come of age during NNJ's snow bonanza of 1956-61, with 7 storms of 18"+ (though 2/58 might've been a bit less) and 3 of them reaching 24", possibly more.  Feb. '61 records include the only 50"+ depths I've seen for NJ, though our place topped out closer to 45".  However, I share your grief about Jan. '15 - was hoping the grandkids in SNJ would see their first ever 10"+ event.  Forecast was 12-16 as we went to bed on the 26th, which verified as 1.5" during the mid morn, all melted by 2 PM; bleah!.  They did get their snowcave-building crush job a year later.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Belichick is really going to hate meteorologists now. He probably got word of 5-10", practiced all week with a soaking wet ball and wind mills, and game time ends up 5mph with a scattered sprinkle.

Eh all that practicing for rn+ will probably serve him well come week 16 @ home just before Christmas

:devilsmiley:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

So much Diane talk, her ears must be ringing! I should clarify, she hasn't officially accepted yet but we are definitely interested. She is currently on her way to Mass then we should be able to meet over the next several days to make things official. It will be fun to have another weenie in the area, so we can go from me JSpin and PF to 4 when we talk about never ending flurries. :)

Watch this be the year we get nothing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1