Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October Coastal - Big Rain Potential

dendrite

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This storm is a great reason why the whole field will be replaced by robots soon enough. It's ok to mention that the impacts might not be what was first though a couple of days ago. That message was seen on guidance yesterday, but even now...I am seeing 2-3" to the north of Boston and 3-6" just south of the city. I don't understand why we can't just convey what will happen when things begin to change. We keep continuing with this notion to continue to sensationalize everything and it does nothing but make the science and the mets look bad. In my business, we are always trying to push situational awareness out and at least convey as accurately as we can when things change. Sometimes it's a little too late, and you can't knee jerk either...but we all know when it's time to hold 'em or fold 'em. 

Its been like this as long as I have been around. Remember all your early childhood disappointments when 8 to 12 turned to 1 to rain. You didn't probably realize the rain option because all you heard was snow. Nothing has changed hype wise just more access to hype. Rather than news at 6 and 11 its news every press of your finger all built on the initial hype. 

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

I think there is a tendency to get too specific too early. It's one thing when we talk about impacts here on the board, but when actual forecasts are going out that describe in detail how the storm will evolve 72+ hours in advance stretches beyond our capabilities. QPF is a great example, it's just a poorly forecast variable by the models and even over 48 hours it can change quite a bit. I know with my colleagues I see way too much trust in models, and especially the latest model run.

The hill I'm prepared to die on this winter is holding onto watches longer. We shouldn't be crying wolf on 40% of them. 

I do understand people want to prepare and sometimes we go out of our comfort zone to help do that and risk not having a good forecast due to what you describe above. It seems like we have trouble (or maybe fear?) of adjusting to near term trends/guidance. 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I do understand people want to prepare and sometimes we go out of our comfort zone to help do that and risk not having a good forecast due to what you describe above. It seems like we have trouble (or maybe fear?) of adjusting to near term trends/guidance. 

I think one of the hardest things to do is pull the plug on your own forecast. And I know people I work with struggle to know when to take the forecast in a new direction (positive or negative busts) in the near term. Like it's fine to say gusts to 70 mph are possible on the Cape, but if that's the upper bound what's the lower bound? 48 hours out 30 mph might be just as likely as 70 mph, but we never hear the 30.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Forecasts have improved immensely. Nws are hereos in tragic conditions. Hype is off the hook in this country.  Being first, being the loudest wins. If wrong, like bad news reporting, rarely gets walked back and move on to the next hype. Pete Repete

That I'll totally agree with. The NWS is struggling with that mentality given all the social media-rologists out there. My opinion is I would rather the NWS be the right answer than the first answer. 

If nothing else maybe the HazSimp process will move us towards a more traffic light mentality. Have a yellow light/caution product that "gets the word out" without details, and when it's time to honk you have the red light/warning. As things currently stand we don't have a great product set for events we know will be below warning criteria but will still have impacts.

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I think one of the hardest things to do is pull the plug on your own forecast. And I know people I work with struggle to know when to take the forecast in a new direction (positive or negative busts) in the near term. Like it's fine to say gusts to 70 mph are possible on the Cape, but if that's the upper bound what's the lower bound? 48 hours out 30 mph might be just as likely as 70 mph, but we never hear the 30.

That I'll totally agree with. The NWS is struggling with that mentality given all the social media-rologists out there. My opinion is I would rather the NWS be the right answer than the first answer. 

If nothing else maybe the HazSimp process will move us towards a more traffic light mentality. Have a yellow light/caution product that "gets the word out" without details, and when it's time to honk you have the red light/warning. As things currently stand we don't have a great product set for events we know will be below warning criteria but will still have impacts.

Its like DIT is running the world.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It better pound between now and 18z if the hi-res stuff is going to be right. Inch an hour for the next 4 hours?

PYM south look good. But BOS north seems to be on the line. Looking at GYX, that rain shield is not gaining latitude really. Look at 850 theta-e. Where is the WAA? if anything is dries out again this ftn north of the pike. In fact, best WAA doesn't come until it occludes and unravels tomorrow aftn.

6 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Mea Culpa..Scott was right. I should have listened. Wish casting this into a big deal wasn’t going to make it happen. 

Models didn't make much sense. Pumping out high qpf results when you could clearly see mid levels and the surface low looked to consolidate SE. 

The mesoanalysis page is truly a godsend. 

• Like 1

yesterday on FB, NWS BOX posted a rainfall map with totals at the MA/NH border around 1.5-2.0”. around the same time, NWS GYX posted a rainfall map with totals at the MA/NH border around 0.25”. it must have been pretty crazy, seeing that gradient on the models. Hard to believe that the state line can stop qpf like that!

Seriously, though, GYX and BOX need to coordinate more. that is just not a good look

• Confused 1