• Member Statistics

    16,052
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    David herry
    Newest Member
    David herry
    Joined
Steve

“Let’s Talk Winter”

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, pondo1000 said:

Nope

Lol...im with ya buddy.  I view any model showing significant snow for us with great skepticism.  Teleconnections say no way.  47.5% chance  a decent low pressure cuts and screws us.  47.5%  chance its a sheared out wave with garbage precip....and 5% chance we thread the needle and get an event.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Lol...im with ya buddy.  I view any model showing significant snow for us with great skepticism.  Teleconnections say no way.  47.5% chance  a decent low pressure cuts and screws us.  47.5%  chance its a sheared out wave with garbage precip....and 5% chance we thread the needle and get an event.

And other than Uncle Ukie, what other model has anything significant? Most show a POS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When is the last time central or southern Ohio got a real, honest-to-goodness snowstorm (let's say 6+ inches)? I moved to cbus 4 years ago and have yet to see more than about 4 inches imby... 

(tho at this point I'd gladly take anything...) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This past January in Cincinnati failed to measure a daily 1+" snowfall for the first time since January 2015 and at least the 29th time ever recorded. Of all those instances, at least 20 Februaries that followed those Januaries would have at least one day with a daily measurable snowfall of at least an inch. The earliest last 1+" snowfall on record is January 19, 1955 with a daily measurable snowfall of 1.4 inches.

In Columbus, this past January failed to measure a daily 1+" snowfall for the first time since January 2017 and the 22nd time since records began in 1883-1884. Of all those instances, 15 Februaries that followed those Januaries would have at least one day with a daily measurable snowfall of at least an inch. Currently, CMH is on track for the second earliest last 1+" snowfall on record with a daily snowfall of 1.5 inches that occurred back on December 15th, only behind the earliest last 1+" snowfall on record on December 13, 2016 with a daily measurable snowfall of 3.2 inches.

In Dayton, this past January failed to measure a daily 1+" snowfall for the first time since January 1998 and the 15th time since records began in 1893. Of all those instances, 12 Februaries that followed those Januaries would have at least one day with a daily measurable snowfall of at least an inch. 1918-1919 is the only season where every single month (even October, November, March, and April) failed to measure a daily 1+" snowfall the entire season. Currently, DAY is on track for the second earliest last 1+" snowfall on record with a daily snowfall of 1.3 inches back on December 16th, only behind the earliest last 1+" snowfall on record on November 27, 1931 with a daily measurable snowfall of 5.3 inches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jaf316 said:

When is the last time central or southern Ohio got a real, honest-to-goodness snowstorm (let's say 6+ inches)? I moved to cbus 4 years ago and have yet to see more than about 4 inches imby... 

(tho at this point I'd gladly take anything...) 

6.8" on 2/21/2015 was the last 6"+ event (including 2 day totals) for CMH.

Franklin County/CMH has only been under 1 Winter Storm Warning since the winter of 2014-15 and that event (1/19-1-20/2019) busted big.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OV is in a big storm slump after the 2000's boom of big storms. Hopefully the business cycle is back on the upswing soon!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, osubrett2 said:

6.8" on 2/21/2015 was the last 6"+ event (including 2 day totals) for CMH.

Franklin County/CMH has only been under 1 Winter Storm Warning since the winter of 2014-15 and that event (1/19-1-20/2019) busted big.

No kidding on the one from last January - hyped as a mega-storm by local media so much that schools canceled all events and ended up an all-day rain with some snow overnight. 

Not getting excited about this one - stranger things have happened. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, osubrett2 said:

Welp, yeah sorry fellas. Looked decent for a split second, but a stronger system on Wednesday ruins any chance for the OV on Thursday/Friday.

This could be the first time in history Columbus goes through January and February with less than 1" of snow combined.  It's really looking like the exact same pattern for February as January.  Warm, rain, some flurries, repeat.  It's one of the worst winter patterns I've ever seen.  If there is no accumulation over the next week, it enters the top 10 least snowfall to date.  Most of the rest of the state isn't doing much better.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we for the love of God get a shift south just once...is that to much to ask for??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Steve said:

Can we for the love of God get a shift south just once...is that to much to ask for??

Today’s run did, a little bit. Need that caboose wave to deliver. That’s our best shot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know my stock comment, "32.1 degrees and rain'n like its 80 out" :fulltilt:  We've had really bad winters in Ohio, 70-75 were little to no snow ice skated all winter long as it was cold but never had to worry about cleaning snow off the ponds, most of the 80s were bad winters and 97-2001 was pretty weak as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HighTechEE said:

You know my stock comment, "32.1 degrees and rain'n like its 80 out" :fulltilt:  We've had really bad winters in Ohio, 70-75 were little to no snow ice skated all winter long as it was cold but never had to worry about cleaning snow off the ponds, most of the 80s were bad winters and 97-2001 was pretty weak as well.

When I was in junior/senior highschool we had a pond across the street.  It was a rare winter that we didn't have at least a few week period of ice skating.   Most of the time we also were able to sled down the hill and build ramps out of the snow to land on the ice.   We would pour water on the banks of the sled run so it would freeze up like a luge shoot.   Can't even imagine that scenario lately.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't look now, but it looks like the mid-day nam and gfs are showing us a little (a very little) more love with the final wave this week... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, buckeye said:

NAM is such a tease

Granted half of that is freezing rain, but the other half is the 'caboose' system (as pondo called it).  

NAM18.jpg

Take it to the bank!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, buckeye said:

NAM is such a tease

Granted half of that is freezing rain, but the other half is the 'caboose' system (as pondo called it).  

 

Jack calls that a "reach around"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CoachLB said:

I went from freezing rain to pounding sleet. Covered the roadways pretty quickly.

Quickly turned to rain here thankfully 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.