Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
“Let’s Talk Winter”

Steve

4 hours ago, buckeye said:

gotta admit, I'm kinda jealous of the folks in the 'wet & wild' zone.

Also, what's happening in IL and IN?  Are they wet & wild too?   Figures we'd get donut-holed out of the fun.

Right? Wet & wild. Hmmmm.... Sounds like the Old Farmer’s gotta get his mind outta the gutter! LOL

9 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Leaves have peaked, season's first snow is in the forecast, will certainly pale in comparison to west of here in the N plains, nonetheless, winter is very close to setting in here in Michigan's north woods.

Most years areas they get MUCH less snow than you, and less snow than me, get snow before us out in the Plains. Obviously the northern plains get harder hit but even further south. Just how it works, and a sign that Winter is knocking on the door!

18 hours ago, pondo1000 said:

Right? Wet & wild. Hmmmm.... Sounds like the Old Farmer’s gotta get his mind outta the gutter! LOL

...too many jokes about his daughter has finally taken it's toll.:P

Good to see you back pondo.  Hopefully we'll have something to discuss this winter other than the latest local met scandals and deaths.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Most years areas they get MUCH less snow than you, and less snow than me, get snow before us out in the Plains. Obviously the northern plains get harder hit but even further south. Just how it works, and a sign that Winter is knocking on the door!

It’s just their climatology. Dry and super cold is what they do best.

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

...too many jokes about his daughter has finally taken it's toll.:P

Good to see you back pondo.  Hopefully we'll have something to discuss this winter other than the latest local met scandals and deaths.

Good to see everyone back and ready for winter. The gut says wild, but I don't know how wet. 

Buckeye, did your daughter graduate? Hopefully you won't have to go back to the hellhole that is Marion, IN. Caveat: The campus is very nice.

On 10/11/2019 at 4:33 PM, IWXwx said:

Good to see everyone back and ready for winter. The gut says wild, but I don't know how wet. 

Buckeye, did your daughter graduate? Hopefully you won't have to go back to the hellhole that is Marion, IN. Caveat: The campus is very nice.

Yep.  She graduated this past spring.  Working in Columbus now.   Agree...campus is very nice. 

4 hours ago, buckeye said:

in non-weather news....from the little sleepy town of Westerville....

I can see the building where the dem debate is being held from my upstairs windows.

....should I hoist a MAGA flag?    :gun_bandana::devilsmiley:

Not sure that last sentence, with the following emojis, is very wise or even remotely funny considering the current political environment :wacko:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WxMatt21 said:

Not sure that last sentence, with the following emojis, is very wise or even remotely funny considering the current political environment :wacko:

Amazing times we live in. I've used that smiley dozens of times in the years I've posted here and just like all those other times it's never been meant literally....just a way to illustrate a smart*** remark/action, (ie hoisting a maga flag in the epicenter of the democrats campaign stop).

But unfortunately you're right, people take that stuff totally different now.   Lol...I never even remotely thought of that post the way you did until I read your reply.  I guess I'm just not 'woke' enough...or twisted enough.   :rolleyes:

In fact now that you bring it up, I'm  kind of surprised it's still an available emoji.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,  I'm on a business trip in Longmont, CO this week, geeze, went from 70 degrees to 18 in a 3 hour flight yesterday!!!  Never thought I'd see the worst winter weather of the 2019-20 season in October, you won't believe the low temp records their logging here in the Denver area (the deep snow is nothing to them).  I-70 is closed just east of here, they got like a foot and a half in these two storms.  Only about 7-8" here in Longmont, but still coming down!  I'll have some pics when I get home.  :blink:  Forgot to mention they're expecting a possible all time record low for Oct. Thurs morning, -2 is the record and might hit -4 at DEN.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HighTechEE said:

Hi Guys,  I'm on a business trip in Longmont, CO this week, geeze, went from 70 degrees to 18 in a 3 hour flight yesterday!!!  Never thought I'd see the worst winter weather of the 2019-20 season in October, you won't believe the low temp records their logging here in the Denver area (the deep snow is nothing to them).  I-70 is closed just east of here, they got like a foot and a half in these two storms.  Only about 7-8" here in Longmont, but still coming down!  I'll have some pics when I get home.  :blink:  Forgot to mention they're expecting a possible all time record low for Oct. Thurs morning, -2 is the record and might hit -4 at DEN.

Fellow Bellbrookian....my daughter lives in Denver. She's a chip off the old block (Head) and loves winter weather. She is chagrined because she is on a business trip to Vegas and missing the fun. She is scheduled to return today though. If they get the record low tonight....it will be another landmark for them. A couple weeks back they hit 9 degrees...which was the earliest single digit low in the city's recorded weather history. Told her she needs to ship some of that cold and snow east on the jet stream.

• Haha 1

On 10/29/2019 at 10:25 PM, HighTechEE said:

Hey now, dont sell your winter short long before it starts lol. You may see more severe winter weather than that. However that said, whats going on in the Rockies is VERY impressive. They are used to October and May snows, as well as January days of 70F, but this is something else. With all the subpar winters Denver has had lately, this might be one of the severest stretches of winter weather theyve had in some time.

Regardless of any snow threats, this week after Wednesday and into next week is looking pretty cold through at least mid-month. 

For Columbus, here were the coldest November 1-15 periods.

Top 10 Coldest Average High: 1976: 43.5, 1967/1997: 44.7, 1996: 44.9, 1991: 45.1, 1910: 45.4, 1894: 45.7, 1921: 46.5, 1995: 46.6, 2018: 47.5, 1907: 47.7

Top 10 Coldest Average Low: 1976: 26.3, 1991: 27.2, 1908: 29.8, 1995: 30.2, 1951/1954: 30.9, 1886: 31.1, 1996: 31.3, 1953: 31.4, 1921: 31.9, 1905/1910: 32.3

Top 10 Coldest Mean: 1976: 34.9, 1991: 36.2, 1996: 38.1, 1995: 38.4, 1967: 38.8, 1910: 38.9, 1908: 39.1, 1921: 39.2, 1894/1951: 39.3, 1886: 40.0

Models have been spitting out average means for the first 15 days between 34-37 degrees. There doesn't seem to be any direct correlation to winter as there were both awful and very good winters in these years. 

1 hour ago, jbcmh81 said:

Regardless of any snow threats, this week after Wednesday and into next week is looking pretty cold through at least mid-month. 

For Columbus, here were the coldest November 1-15 periods.

Top 10 Coldest Average High: 1976: 43.5, 1967/1997: 44.7, 1996: 44.9, 1991: 45.1, 1910: 45.4, 1894: 45.7, 1921: 46.5, 1995: 46.6, 2018: 47.5, 1907: 47.7

Top 10 Coldest Average Low: 1976: 26.3, 1991: 27.2, 1908: 29.8, 1995: 30.2, 1951/1954: 30.9, 1886: 31.1, 1996: 31.3, 1953: 31.4, 1921: 31.9, 1905/1910: 32.3

Top 10 Coldest Mean: 1976: 34.9, 1991: 36.2, 1996: 38.1, 1995: 38.4, 1967: 38.8, 1910: 38.9, 1908: 39.1, 1921: 39.2, 1894/1951: 39.3, 1886: 40.0

Models have been spitting out average means for the first 15 days between 34-37 degrees. There doesn't seem to be any direct correlation to winter as there were both awful and very good winters in these years. 

Wasn't the first half of November quite cold last year too? Then we had a pretty chilly first week of December followed by some terrible mild weather for what felt like forever. Hopefully we don't repeat that.

13 hours ago, Gino27 said:

Wasn't the first half of November quite cold last year too? Then we had a pretty chilly first week of December followed by some terrible mild weather for what felt like forever. Hopefully we don't repeat that.

The first week or so of November 2018 was actually around normal/a bit warmer than normal, with 4 days hitting at least 60.  The coldest weather happened after the 8th, which limited 2018's position on this particular ranking.  2018 does show up on the coldest average high ranking, though, for the first 15 days of November. This year looks to blow that away, though.

Yesterday when locals were calling for 1-2" today I was scratching my head wondering what model showed that...other than the nam of course.    Next week is reminding me of that mid November outbreak...(I think it was '14 or '13...I'm terrible with recalling years), but I remember driving to an appointment in the evening out in the country and it was in the low teens, with low visibility from snow blowing across the road.    These shots this time of year are not unheard of....but still too damn early IMHO lol.

edit:  Actually it was Nov. 13, 2014....just looked back on my calendar

• Like 2

On 11/4/2019 at 9:02 PM, Gino27 said:

I don't know what it is about winters lately,  but good ole fashioned cold and snowy Decembers are about as rare as a triple phaser anymore.   Same thing with winters that end when they're suppose to rather than dragging into fricken April and May. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:10 PM, iluvsnow said:

Fellow Bellbrookian....my daughter lives in Denver. She's a chip off the old block (Head) and loves winter weather. She is chagrined because she is on a business trip to Vegas and missing the fun. She is scheduled to return today though. If they get the record low tonight....it will be another landmark for them. A couple weeks back they hit 9 degrees...which was the earliest single digit low in the city's recorded weather history. Told her she needs to ship some of that cold and snow east on the jet stream.

Finally slowed down to a gallop from my Colorado trip, here's some pics, first one snow in Longmont morning of Tues Oct 30th we got about 4 more inches to total about 8" with temps 16-18 all day, middle is Thursday morning after the snow system cleared out was 3 degrees (didn't know the mountains were that close lol), last pic is from the east side of Boulder looking back west towards the mtns on our way back to the DEN airport.

XSWG Snow Pic1 sm.JPG

XSWG Snow Pic2 sm.JPG

Boulder Snow Pic1 sm.JPG

• Like 4