SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October/November 2019 Mid/Long Range

mattie g

14 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

GFS with high temps 30F below normal in 10 days. Lol

I’ll take the over. 

As for snow, I consider any non accumulating snow that is noticeable to everyone, and not just us squinting at microscopic flakes, to be great in November. Measurable is a total win. 

What time will Barney hit my house?

Great Lakes to cool off and snow in SE Canada.  Very impressive forecast  map. 

The question later in the month is whether there is a whole sale pattern change,  or just a relaxation , even a version of an Indian summer if you may.  

I remember Joel Myers saying in the old days , 1970's and 1980's you can only pull the rubber band so much before it pulls back or snaps.  In this case keeping a highly anomalous winter like pattern for an extended period of time makes you wonder the implications for the first 1/3 of the meteorological winter.  

Of course, there are things that argue after a brief to moderate relaxation we go back to what the base state may want to provide, which is an active storm track(s), and penetrations of cold air. this takes place as wavelengths continue to lengthen.   

10 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

If nothing else this is a good way to learn about the strengths and weaknesses of the new FV3 GFS.

Leans very suppressed/squashed compared to CMC/EURO/ICON at the moment.

Actually if the new gfs still has a cold bias and we adjust for that it would explain the discrepancy with last nights euro. Remove the colder profile and the enhanced baroclonocity from that and you get a weaker wave sliding off (that is slightly farther north) with very little frozen anywhere. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Actually if the new gfs still has a cold bias and we adjust for that it would explain the discrepancy with last nights euro. Remove the colder profile and the enhanced baroclonocity from that and you get a weaker wave sliding off (that is slightly farther north) with very little frozen anywhere. 

Likely.

I mean, it's fun to see it on a model, but...GFS.  In early November. 

54 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Gonna be fun around here this winter with the "new" GFS.

I’ve had arguments with people in the NWP field and I get that predicting snow is only one factor but snowfall is one of the most high profile events they do predict. Below tropical in impact but snowfall is more common and impacts a much larger population in the U.S.  Severe also but that’s more a nowcast then medium/long range thing.  When it comes to medium range snowfall is the prime time game for many and yet they roll out a model that sucks at it. I just don’t get it.  And I’ve defended our NWP on almost everything. 

• Like 1

This is a touchy setup to be fair- fast flow, cold pressing, plus a SS vort in the SW that could try to partially phase with NS energy as it ejects. That looks less likely on recent runs, and ofc that's what folks in NE are rooting for. This is good practice for us, because odds are no matter how it plays out, it's probably mostly if not all rain for this region. Not sure I saw any flat wave scenarios on the Euro ens members that had much more than a r-s mix on the northern fringe

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

My brief amateur take on the 12z GFS is that not much changed other than the timing -- was earlier and hence less impactful for Central VA. Precip actually took a slight jog north, looked kinda EURO-y but more south for most of the run until it flipped to a NC snowstorm at the end.

It tries to do a bit of a phase job- definitely more dig in the NS- but positive tilt/progressive and it's too little, too late.

3 hours ago, stormtracker said:

Likely.

I mean, it's fun to see it on a model, but...GFS.  In early November. 

Definitely. I’m not negative on winter at all. I see some positive signs. Some things that aren’t great. But all in all I see more I like than not. That probably means not a blockbuster but not a dud either. Maybe better than “most” of our winters. The details of a storm in early November won’t impact my expectations for winter much. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic