Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October/November 2019 Mid/Long Range

mattie g

22 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

If the 12z EPS is correct, the last week of October will feature EC/WA ridge with high temps of 60 to 70. The previously advertised cold snap has disintegrated.

What was the last run to feature the cold snap? I went back and looked through a few and didn’t see anything that poked out to me.

7 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

What was the last run to feature the cold snap? I went back and looked through a few and didn’t see anything that poked out to me.

2-3 days ago? Look at some of the panels posted in this thread a page or so back.

EPS was never as bullish as the GEFS, but it had a cold look several runs ago.

3 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

If the 12z EPS is correct, the last week of October will feature EC/WA ridge with high temps of 60 to 70. The previously advertised cold snap has disintegrated.

Simply looking at the NAO and the AO you think otherwise to a degree. 

But man, that PNA loves to be negative, we can not shake that. Plus, we can not build any West Coast ridging.   

Of course the model error may have been those typhoons, however, many mets mid week already called for a late month cold snap. Goes to show you how difficult it is to predict the pattern. Can you imagine putting out a seasonal forecast ?    

• Like 1

10 hours ago, frd said:

Simply looking at the NAO and the AO you think otherwise to a degree. 

But man, that PNA loves to be negative, we can not shake that. Plus, we can not build any West Coast ridging.   

Of course the model error may have been those typhoons, however, many mets mid week already called for a late month cold snap. Goes to show you how difficult it is to predict the pattern. Can you imagine putting out a seasonal forecast ?    

I know there isn't necessarily a correlation, but after the persistent false advertisement by the guidance last winter in the LR (wrt epic patterns and esp blocking) I am interested to see what the reality is for this period in which all the major globals were depicting a pattern featuring significant HL blocking and anomalous cold for the east. Yes it seems there was some error on the Pacific side compared to what was projected by models several days ago, impacting the placement and strength of the NE Pac ridge. 

• Like 1

Definitely frustrating seeing that trough end up in the west.  There are some positives with the pattern that opens up Nov, imo.  PSU brought this up in an earlier post iirc....I will be curious if we do get periods of HLB in the NAO region if the winter wavelength produces a situation of cold highs pushing/ overrunning.  Even with a neutral/-PNA.  

Not the pattern that was advertised a few days ago but not a total loss either.  I mean, when did we see this kind of positive make it inside of D5 last year?  

QuN1pBS.png

21 minutes ago, mattie g said:

All the discussion about a cold snap disappearing, yet here we are, a good 8-10 days out from when the chill was looking to begin.

Last I heard, models can be wrong.

The trend is not your friend.   or..

We have seen this many times before.

It is preseason, and I honestly dgaf if it is 70 the last week of October lol.

12 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

The trend is not your friend.   or..

We have seen this many times before.

It is preseason, and I honestly dgaf if it is 70 the last week of October lol.

All cold prior to December 5 th is useless anyways  ......  bring the hammer after December 5 th and put some Bing Crosby on the airwaves....

I would enjoy a warmer day or two in later November anyways to put the lights on the trees, so pretty to look at but so tedious to do.  Takes 1/20 th of the time to undo those wrap-arounds. 

55 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Definitely frustrating seeing that trough end up in the west.  There are some positives with the pattern that opens up Nov, imo.  PSU brought this up in an earlier post iirc....I will be curious if we do get periods of HLB in the NAO region if the winter wavelength produces a situation of cold highs pushing/ overrunning.  Even with a neutral/-PNA.  

Not the pattern that was advertised a few days ago but not a total loss either.  I mean, when did we see this kind of positive make it inside of D5 last year?  

QuN1pBS.png

A great pattern for those North of us in about 30 to 45 days, somewhat a gradient pattern for them.   

11 minutes ago, frd said:

A great pattern for those North of us in about 30 to 45 days, somewhat a gradient pattern for them.   

Agreed.  That block placement isn't ideal for the MA.  I guess my point was that it looks like red paint will actually verify in that region instead of getting pushed/fading.  

30 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Agreed.  That block placement isn't ideal for the MA.  I guess my point was that it looks like red paint will actually verify in that region instead of getting pushed/fading.  

That alone will be good to see, We have had pretty persistent NA blocking during the warm months, so if this look verifies, might be a good sign as we go forward. Now the lack of cooperation on the Pacific side is another story. Lots can change there as we move into early winter, but I don't want to see that big azz  NE Pac ridge become a fixture in the location the ensembles currently have it as we head into Nov. That would be a problem for the lowlands of the MA more times than not even in mid winter. Not a fan of SE ridge and gradient patterns for my neck of the woods.

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Actually Gefs and Eps both look slightly below avg after the 29th or so for several days .Remember that Halloween years ago it was like 80.... and my girls were little then  in full costume and they ripped them off because they were sweating to death lol. They finished trick or treatin in there short sleeves :lol:

12z EURO looks like it... ugh... 850 hPa temperature anomaly on Days 9 and 10 (October 30th and 31st) are +8 to +12, respectively

I don’t get all the lamenting the pattern coming up. I only see the SE ridge truly flex for 48-72 hours as the cold initially dumps west.  But after that I see a broad trough with a suppressed SE ridge and a pattern we would likely be on the right side of the gradient in Winter with. I like the look.  Now that is totally dependent on the NAO blocking being legit but right now it looks it. 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I don’t get all the lamenting the pattern coming up. I only see the SE ridge truly flex for 48-72 hours as the cold initially dumps west.  But after that I see a broad trough with a suppressed SE ridge and a pattern we would likely be on the right side of the gradient in Winter with. I like the look.  Now that is totally dependent on the NAO blocking being legit but right now it looks it. 

Lets see if that look holds, or gets pushed back or ends up with the trough reloading in the west. The "lamenting" is simply pointing out that the models have backed way off on the previously advertised 'favorable' pattern for the last week of this month. Not a big deal because it's not like it was gonna snow or anything. lol. It's preseason, and I am specifically interested in seeing if the -NAO actually does materialize in real time, or if it's just more false advertising on the LR guidance. Also screw those gradient patterns with a persistent SE ridge. If that becomes the mean pattern for winter, that's a winner for places further north the majority of the time. Depending on legit NA blocking is a fool's errand until proven otherwise at this point. You may do ok at times, but that's generally not a good pattern for coastal areas of the MA.

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Lets see if that look holds, or gets pushed back or ends up with the trough reloading in the west. The "lamenting" is simply pointing out that the models have backed way off on the previously advertised 'favorable' pattern for the last week of this month. Not a big deal because it's not like it was gonna snow or anything. lol. It's preseason, and I am specifically interested in seeing if the -NAO actually does materialize in real time, or if it's just more false advertising on the LR guidance. Also screw those gradient patterns with a persistent SE ridge. If that becomes the mean pattern for winter, that's a winner for places further north the majority of the time. Depending on legit NA blocking is a fool's errand until proven otherwise at this point. You may do ok at times, but that's generally not a good pattern for coastal areas of the MA.

It depends how suppressed the pattern ends up. That h5 look in Jan or Feb I bet it’s not a bad bet to get a wave under us. Quite a few gradient  systems worked in 2014 and 2015. The suppression then was due to a favorable PV location but an NAO block with 50/50 can mirror that same effect and offset a west based epo ridge.   But last winter when we saw that same look I remember finding quite a few good results historically from that type pattern. The problem was the NAO part never materialized and so the pacific ridge dominated the pattern. But even with that fact we still got a couple waves to stay under us in February!  It wasn’t a total shutout. Just not the epic pattern we wanted. Add in a true NAO block and its a pretty good pattern.  Keep in mind many of our snows don’t come with a “perfect” pac/atl combo.  That often just least to a huge trough and dry.  Often it’s some convoluted combo that works.  More recently it’s been a good pacific finding a way so I can see being biased toward that, but historically a good Atlantic offsetting a mediocre pacific is even more likely to produce snow.  

But I agree 100% with that fact that relying on the NAO is risky and I would prefer a good pacific look that doesn’t require the Atlantic to offset it at all. So yea this isn’t ideal. But it’s too early for me to go overly negative. One thing my research has shown is that every winter is an island. There is almost no pattern or predictability from one season to the next. I won’t let last years frustrations cloud this years potential...YET lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

You must be new around here...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Gfs pretty progressive with our first real cold push and hard freeze . Now has Tuesday as the transition day . Lots of 40s highs next week . I'm personally rooting for it .

Heck yes! And thanks for response re: GFS. Let’s hope for a crisp rest of autumn and seasons in seasons. 

2 hours ago, yoda said:

I guess @mattie g can change the tag since it reached 4 pages :lol:

It would be nice to see some more rain... have each system bring 0.5" to 1.0" each time they come through the area and our drought will be lessened

Pleasantly surprised by the relatively quick turnaround in this thread's fortunes. Doesn't hurt that we actually got some rain and that the pattern definitely flipped. That, plus the fact that we're seeing some decently chilly stuff at not terribly long range will certainly get the juices flowing.

30 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Gfs pretty progressive with our first real cold push and hard freeze . Now has Tuesday as the transition day . Lots of 40s highs next week . I'm personally rooting for it .

We’ll see what the euro throws out at 12z, but some stark differences between euro and gfs starting this weekend. Euro going cutoff low happy? Gfs too progressive? Hard to say when both models are maybe playing into their biases. Gfs solution looks way more fun, so I’m rooting for it. 

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic