Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2019-20 Preseason Discussion

WxUSAF

9 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

If I was going to try and interpret that precip map, which isn’t easy, I’d say it screams a cutter pattern. How else do you end up with positive anomalies along the apps and Ohio Valley and simultaneous abnormal dryness along the southeast and mid Atlantic coasts?

Miller B.

3 hours ago, UniversesBelowNormal said:

No established ENSO pattern.. in non-El Nino it's been a bad run for the last 5 years. I also see that the jet stream is generally lifting north. 

I don’t disagree totally but the last enso neutral winter we had was 2013/14 so I don’t think we can use a “trend” to dismiss this winter. 

6 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Webb says winter will arrive! Although early/mid January seems pretty normal for a Nino, not that early. 

Yea in most ninos with a torch December the flip happens sometime in January, typically in a step down that starts early January. So no idea how he gets that conclusion. I agree the progression based on the mjo is ahead.  If we actually do enter the warm phases early December it’s unlikely that it lasts into January. Last year we entered mjo hell about Dec 15 and by early Jan we were getting colder and that was a record long warm phase wave. His timing of a month long warm phase mjo induced torch seems odd imo. Maybe there are other factors he isn’t articulating well in the posts here. But his January flip idea wouldn’t be early either, actually typical for a nino. 

ETA:  it’s kind of like he is the anti JB.  Where everything is skewed towards the best case scenario for snow with JB...Webb skews everything towards the worst. So getting a typical outcome is like the best case scenario to him. 

• Like 2