• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

17 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I really need to sit down and study teleconnections again. I obviously know a little bit about the NAO and what usually works for us, but I can tell you that during my 4 years of studying meteorology, I don't think any one of those indices was ever mentioned a single time (Some of them probably werent even formally named or understood at that time).  You guys definitely have a leg up on me when it comes to following these long term trends and indices. 

Image result for positive pna negative epo map

• Like 1

This little system on Friday actually looks to pose a decent yet short lived high wind risk. Storm tract to our NW, a fairly deep and deepening storm (sub 985), which hits during daylight hours.  I would expect wind advisories to drop sometime tomorrow.  It's better than nothing....haha

• Haha 1

Ok, I'll bite.  That is a generalized overview and some years I suppose that is true, but I can tell you other years it certainly comes out lower than that.  Furthermore, lets roll with that statement as if it is actually fact.  The 50 some inches that we get from lake effect are truly pitiful dinks and dunks.  2 inches of fluff here, 3 inches there (20:1 ratio crap).  Rinse and repeat.  Furthermore, there is a huge difference in total snow across Monroe county.  I sure as shit don't get 50 inches of lake effect snow a year, Webster on the hand most certainly does.  The bottom-line is that the next two weeks look like garbage for Rochester as the models currently stand.  

Noteworthy storms for Rochester come from large Ohio Valley storms passing just south of us or Hudson Valley running Nor'Easters.  I like significant storms with low ratio snow.   I'm happy the lakes keep snow in the air more often than most people, but it just doesn't add up to much (at least in my locale on the west side).  A single SW event off Erie (the type that buffalo is known for) is more significant than a whole seasons worth of NW multi-band garbage that we get.  

1 minute ago, tim123 said:

Here delta. Nws climate narrative.

Screenshot_20191120-143520_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2

i'll look back at my weather journal to see how much snow we actually got during those storms you posted; as the Rochester Airport ASOS is absolutely insane when it comes to snow totals.  Case in point is the storm from this past Monday (11/11).  The ROC airport reported the highest snowfall for any location of WNY.  Just ridiculously inflated numbers with every storm. I swear some guy at the airport is stacking individual snowflakes corner to corner to make those numbers work.  I come in 33 percent lower every season and live 2 miles from the airport.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tim123 said:

I get what your saying delta. But rochester receives more snow annually than buffalo. But they just get bigger chunks at a time usually. 

Half of Rochesters snow is 1:30-1:35 ratio fluff in N/NNW winds. Buffalo probably gets more QPF as snow then Rochester. Our typical lake effect is 1:15-1:25 ratio. Buffalos reporting station is located in a much worst spot then Roc and Syr are. South of Buffalo receives far more snow than anywhere near Rochester receives. 

Just now, tim123 said:

They measure much more often than most probally before compacting. Or wind issues

Absolutely, they really stack the deck to make their numbers look good.  Sometimes I wonder if they even measure more frequently than every six hours or use some other technique to extrapolate snow totals.  It's misleading for sure.  

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

i'll look back at my weather journal to see how much snow we actually got during those storms you posted; as the Rochester Airport ASOS is absolutely insane when it comes to snow totals.  Case in point is the storm from this past Monday (11/11).  The ROC airport reported the highest snowfall for any location of WNY.  Just ridiculously inflated numbers with every storm. I swear some guy at the airport is stacking individual snowflakes corner to corner to make those numbers work.  I come in 33 percent lower every season and live 2 miles from the airport.

Who exactly is measuring there snow? We found out from Erie PA that year it was a school bus driver with little to no training. In the last ASOS report it showed a heading of FED for Rochesters reading. Buffalo is the most accurate report due to Meteorologist actually doing the measuring at the airport where the NWS is located. 

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Who exactly is measuring there snow? We found out from Erie PA that year it was a school bus driver with little to no training. In the last ASOS report it showed a heading of FED for Rochesters reading. Buffalo is the most accurate report due to Meteorologist actually doing the measuring at the airport where the NWS is located. 

This is a great question and likely the reason behind our inflated numbers.  I think the ASOS makes some weird assumptions combined with an inexperienced person taking the measurements in a location that favors drifting.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

This is a great question and likely the reason behind our inflated numbers.  I think the ASOS makes some weird assumptions combined with an inexperienced person taking the measurements in a location that favors drifting.  

They have the highest totals in nearly every synoptic storm. I haven't seen BUF or SYR
beat them in a storm in years. It is odd to me. 

...Monroe County...
Rochester Airport            10.9 in   0700 AM 11/12   Other Federal
2 N East Rochester           9.0 in    0716 AM 11/12   Trained Spotter
Rochester 4.7 NE             8.9 in    0705 AM 11/12   COCORAHS
Honeoye Falls 1.7 NE         4.3 in    0700 AM 11/12   COCORAHS

Just now, tim123 said:

Last storm I buy cause buffalo got almost same report. 11 inches roughly. But rochester got 5 inches of lake effect day after. I got 6 or 7 in walworth

Yup, and the 11 inches were concrete that could barely be compressed at all while the 5 inches could literally be squished down to less than a quarter inch.  Hard to compare numbers like that at face value.  Snow Water Equivalent is a critical metric that rarely gets mentioned in seasonal totals.  

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

...Monroe County...

I think I measured 8 inches but made no effort to measure at intervals.  It's all so ambiguous and completely different than total depth on the ground post storm. 

We should all at least feel lucky that we have these problems,  not many cities in this great nation have seasonal snow totals anywhere near what we get (and we still bitch and moan incessantly).  We have a it good!  Alright, I need to get back to work, lolz.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

...Monroe County...

And yeah, I have no idea what the hell "Other Federal" means, haha.  Your guess is as good as mine.  

I sort of feel in our areas that separating lake effect from synoptic snow totals is dicey since a lot of what BUF and maybe to a little lesser extent ROC receives is a hybrid of both - e.g. lake enhancement.  If BUF gets 10" of snow from a clipper due to several hours of lake enhancement, does that count as lake effect or synoptic...I would call it synhanceffect . 

• Haha 2

I agree with DELTA. Roc inflates snow totals (at times). Two years ago they were criticized for under measuring and ever since they’ve exaggerated.

The pattern everyone is talking about is classic set up for the traditional belts, of which Roc is most definitely NOT ONE. We get enhancements and nickel and dime LES on a north flow- typically unpredictable. We can get big one with a retrograde low that backs into Maine.

But these guys are talking about a system parked over Hudson Bay and a SW or W trajectory. Roc will have sunshine and cold windy weather. At least Delta likes wind. 
Tim is a bit better situated for LES being in Wayne but I gotta say, I can count true Roc LES storms on two hands in the last decade . Usually a sagging front that stalls on the south shore and produces convergence on soft winds. IDK. My two cents (worth one). 
I gotta live for synoptic and I’m not seeing anything promising.