• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

2 minutes ago, WNash said:

I’m the idiot who loves snow but lives near the Buffalo-Amherst line, where we get less than half of what they see in the southtowns and only 75% of what the airport records just a few miles due east. But an average season here is still way more than the snowiest winters I saw when I lived downstate.

You’re not alone...I rival the biggest snow lovers, but moved last year from N. Cheektowaga to Snyder, a bit further from the snow belt. Couldn’t justify leaving so many conveniences for what amounts to about 10 weeks of lake effect snow potential. I’ve mastered the art of the chase at this point, so no big loss.

Anywhoo...psyched about the early storm coming up. These are rare...Couple inches of slop before Nov 15 is typical, but this not so much. Much more likely IMO to get a late April pasting than an early November synoptic hit.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

25 miles North of Syracuse, average is around 140 or more. I know the Cuse is 123"

Wow that's  amazing.  Oswego  county ?

28 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It’s the greatest winter experience of all time. Being in a strong lake effect band is unmatched.  Come up this year! 

My friends and I have been talking about it. One day we will come up there to chase.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It’s the greatest winter experience of all time. Being in a strong lake effect band is unmatched.  Come up this year! 

I remember that video, epic!  Having been in the middle of several “mega bands” off Erie and Ontario, I gotta say the heaviest snow rates I’ve experienced are always with no wind.  Winds on the band edges might be 10 or more mph, but the real crazy heavy stuff is calm with near 0 vis from the falling snow alone. That’s the euphoria zone. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Yeah was just gonna post that..

The rgem p-type shows all snow but the 540 thickness line makes it into southern Oswego..Not that it can't snow with high thickness lol But it can also indicate sleet/mix..

rgem_mslp_pcpn_neus_23.png

Can notice the banding developing in WNY within the deform band. That banding could result in some higher totals where ever that sets up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

I remember that video, epic!  Having been in the middle of several “mega bands” off Erie and Ontario, I gotta say the heaviest snow rates I’ve experienced are always with no wind.  Winds on the band edges might be 10 or more mph, but the real crazy heavy stuff is calm with near 0 vis from the falling snow alone. That’s the euphoria zone. 

I go back and watch these videos all the time. Helps me relive the moments on how truly epic this event was. Once in a lifetime stuff.

28 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Yeah was just gonna post that..

The rgem p-type shows all snow but the 540 thickness line makes it into southern Oswego..Not that it can't snow with high thickness lol But it can also indicate sleet/mix..

rgem_mslp_pcpn_neus_23.png

With that being said, rgem still rock solid according to the clown maps..

sn10_acc.us_ne (11).png