• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

Going to be a noisy night that’s for sure. BUF already gusting to 53mph last hour and winds aren’t forecasted to peak for another 5 hours. Got caught off guard taking the kids out trick or treating earlier tonight those winds just blew up out of no where. Was thinking it would be a build up behind the front when it passed at 7 but it was like a wall. Had to book it back home.

Flood warning was issued earlier for parts of the county.. Altmar (east) WU station at 3.22" on day and little over 10" for the month..

* Flood Warning for...
  Lewis County in central New York...
  Eastern Oswego County in central New York...

* Until 1245 AM EDT.

* At 858 PM EDT, Doppler radar and automated rain gauges indicated
  that between 2 and 3 inches of rain has fallen in the warned area.
  This will result in flooding in small creeks, and cause ponding of
  water in low-lying areas. Some road closures are possible.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
  Lowville, Central Square, Redfield, Highmarket, Whetstone Gulf
  State Park, Brewerton, Constantia, West Monroe, New Bremen and
  Watson.

21 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

a8ae63a2201bd5bda883209ee9858a53.jpg

b99c32993c7d712d54009ce39a7db20b.jpg

Minimum Pressure dropped to 992.
060e024c4eade7da199aacdcafbb0f54.jpg

On the Canadian side by Dunnville in Haldimand County if you guys know the area. Worst lake conditions I've ever seen here. Minor damage is already occurring all along the lakefront. (trees down, fences ripped out by the waves, ect..) luckily no major damage. 

A portion of my $8000 vinyl fence fell apart due to the wind. I had it installed in late August. I think it was due to me hiring a con artist contractor  (friend of a friend) to do the work more then the strength of the winds. We are going to small claims court against him. A life lesson earned the hard way, always do your research before doing anything on your home. Home advisor, BBB, facebook reviews, etc...A $4,000 mistake. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

A portion of my $8000 vinyl fence fell apart due to the wind. I had it installed in late August. I think it was due to me hiring a con artist contractor  (friend of a friend) to do the work more then the strength of the winds. We are going to small claims court against him. A life lesson earned the hard way, always do your research before doing anything on your home. Home advisor, BBB, facebook reviews, etc...A $4,000 mistake. 

Rough, sorry to hear that. We found a great fence guy on Angie's List. Rock solid construction, didn't move in the wind.

• Like 2

Well it didnt over perform, and it didnt bust.  Pretty much did exactly what was forecast.  Currently over 130 separate outages (~10,000 people) in the Rochester area so thats somewhat noteworthy.  A fun little wind event for an enthusiast such as myself.  I'll give it a 7 out of 10.  Im sad to see it go though :(

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, vortmax said:

but the strongest gusts are still yet to come
from early to mid morning from Rochester eastward.

Anyone experiencing these?

pretty windy IMBY this morning but my anemometer is on the blink so can't quantify...Based on the amount of banging i hear on the house (or don't right now), i'd say it was worse in the overnight hours...

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

Well it didnt over perform, and it didnt bust.  Pretty much did exactly what was forecast.  Currently over 130 separate outages (~10,000 people) in the Rochester area so thats somewhat noteworthy.  A fun little wind event for an enthusiast such as myself.  I'll give it a 7 out of 10.  Im sad to see it go though :(

There is a 1970s 2nd floor addition on our house that is supported by four 6x6 posts. We had one of the posts which was rotted almost entirely through replaced over the summer - glad we did because the addition was shaking in the wind last night.

55 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

At one point this morning here in greater buffalo/ Niagara Falls areas there were approximately 68000 combined outages between National Grid and NYSEG customers...i believe 3 school districts closed for the day and my middle child's school was open but running on generator

19 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

At one point this morning here in greater buffalo/ Niagara Falls areas there were approximately 68000 combined outages between National Grid and NYSEG customers...i believe 3 school districts closed for the day and my middle child's school was open but running on generator

Just lost power at work for 15 minutes, back on now. 

21 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

The wind was a medium type high wind event. Nothing particularly special. It was early in the year with leaves still on trees and saturated unfrozen ground That makes a big difference with re: damage and outages. The sieche was solid and i believe highest in a while (10 ft 6") but some of that is due to the very high antecedent lake levels (running 4 ft over low water datum).

Strongest winds were on the canadian side as the low took a while to get going. Kingston to 107 km/h (66 mph) and Montreal to 105 km/h (65 mph) is not too shabby. Im still a bit suspicious of port colburne obs. I know its on the pier but the ob of 102g130 km/h is super intense and seemingly out of whack compared to other sites and the synoptics. 

12 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Strongest winds were on the canadian side as the low took a while to get going. Kingston to 107 km/h (66 mph) and Montreal to 105 km/h (65 mph) is not too shabby. Im still a bit suspicious of port colburne obs. I know its on the pier but the ob of 102g130 km/h is super intense and seemingly out of whack compared to other sites and the synoptics. 

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BUF&product=PNS&format=CI&version=3&glossary=0

66 in Buffalo 67 in Oswego

Like you said the extremely saturated ground compounded the problems. Most places received over 2" of the rain yesterday. 

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BUF&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0

17 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BUF&product=PNS&format=CI&version=3&glossary=0

66 in Buffalo 67 in Oswego

Like you said the extremely saturated ground compounded the problems. Most places received over 2" of the rain yesterday. 

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BUF&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0

Anecdotally the winds seemed similar to the first of the two big high wind events last winter, but not nearly as bad as event 2 (which I think topped 70 mph in the Buffalo area).

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM EDT SATURDAY TO
1 PM EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Lake effect snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3
  to 6 inches in the most persistent lake snows.

* WHERE...The higher terrain of Chautauqua and Cattaraugus
  counties.

* WHEN...From 8 PM EDT Saturday to 1 PM EST Sunday.

* WHAT...Lake effect snow expected. Total snow accumulations of
  3 to 5 inches in the most persistent lake snows.

* WHERE...The Tug Hill Plateau in Oswego, Jefferson, and Lewis
  counties.
  • Like 1

That was definitely one of the more damaging wind storms we have seen in a while. Trees and power lines down on almost every street here. The lake shore flooding down in Hamburg looked pretty wild. The seiche got so high it even backed the Buffalo River up into the first ward and several homes had to be evacuated.

Lots of large trees into homes surprised no one was hurt or killed.
7a56750b7fc30b8e32d569fe83b569d4.jpg7e0c1fc1fd75ff1afac7ebd78e0eac63.jpgd3db814bbc52ae26810a7db30c0680f1.jpg

Also saw that two sections of the inner harbor break wall were washed away. Just crazy.
4f8072ee856986e40dc192d1b6e31e52.jpg5b92eb04dbc11237d7106cddf1271022.jpg

• Sad 1