Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Nice visible satellite image this Wed AM.  You can clearly see where the snow line is.  The Northern part of Lake Winn. is white while the Southern part is not.

About 15-20% snowcover remains in my hood.   Bluebirds have arrived and are seeking out our birdhouses.

Untitled.jpg

The Rangeley area lakes show up bright and white, but not the Belgrade lakes, which also remain almost totally ice covered. Odd. 

I’ve got the latest BTV NWS maps for the current storm, which has been given the name Winter Storm Quincy by TWC.  There aren’t really any winter weather alerts this far north in the state, but I have seen some fairly steady snow this afternoon in the Burlington and Waterbury areas.  The projected accumulations map has us in the 3-4” range, and the point forecast suggests something in the 2-4” range, so the agreement is fairly good there.

23MAR20A.jpg

23MAR20B.jpg

I saw this band approaching on the radar, and the snowfall rate turned out to be pretty robust as it came through here.  I’d cleared the snowboards at 6:00 P.M., and as of 6:30 P.M. there was already an addition 2.6” of accumulation, so the snowfall was in excess of 5”/hr. during that period.

23MAR20A.gif

39 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I saw this band approaching on the radar, and the snowfall rate turned out to be pretty robust as it came through here.  I’d cleared the snowboards at 6:00 P.M., and as of 6:30 P.M. there was already an addition 2.6” of accumulation, so the snowfall was in excess of 5”/hr. during that period.

23MAR20A.gif

Nice J.Spin!

I was thinking at least 2" in a half hour with that band. 

BTV and MVL both reported the extremely rare M1/4 visibility as it is very tough to get those automated stations to show "under 1/4 mile" in heavy snow. 

Looked like MVL and MPV put up 0.17-0.22" water in that band.

I got a text alert around 7:30 P.M. that we’ve been put under a Winter Storm Warning here in Washington Country, no doubt due to the continued heavy snowfall.  The BTV NWS has updated their maps as well, which I’ve included below.

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

758 PM EDT Mon Mar 23 2020

NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT/...

As of 748 PM EDT Monday...Well its been an extremely busy evening here at the office, as we expanded the advisories north to the international border and placed central/southern cwa into winter storm warnings. Expecting storm total of 2 to 6 inches advisory and 4 to 8 inches in warnings, with many reports of 6 inches or so from Newcomb to Port Henry to Orwell to Bridport. A meso- band developed and moved further north than anticipated, causing snowfall rates of 1 to 3 inches per hour. We picked up 2.9 inches in 1 hour here at BTV during this band. Moving forward expect this initial band to lift northeast of our cwa by 02z, however, some additional lighter bands of snow will continue to impact central/southern cwa thru midnight or so. Have updated snowfall maps and qpf to match our thinking.

23MAR20C.jpg

23MAR20D.jpg

34F OVC with snow grains falling--all of VT socked in looking at this VIS sat, maybe we can get some peeks of sun later and warm it up some.

8.2" final.  Season at 84", which is probably close to normal give or take a few inches trying to gather historical COOP data taking into account micro climate biases.

Man, time goes quick, already been 6 winters here in VT. 6 year average 92"

With the fresh powder from Winter Storm Quincy, my younger son and I headed out for a ski tour at Bolton Valley yesterday, so I can pass along some snow updates and images.  Depth checks of the new snow at 1,500’, 2,000’, and even up above 3,000’ were all essentially the same in the 7 to 8” range.  That’s essentially the same as what we picked up at the house, so overall, there really didn’t seem to be much change in accumulation around here from 500’ on up to above 3,000’.

Temperatures stayed well below freezing even at 2,000’, and probably even down to 1,500’, so the turns were very nice.  The powder was of medium to perhaps slightly higher density, the snow had a nice surfy consistency, with enough buoyancy for bottomless turns on even steep pitches in the black diamond range.  You could certainly hit bottom on the very steepest pitches, but we focused on medium-angle terrain and it was bottomless all the way.

With many people not going to work right now as the state strives to minimize the spread of COVID-19, and a fresh dump of powder on the slopes, I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised at how many people were out for turns.  The number of people touring seemed notable though – between Timberline and the Village, there were at least several dozen cars out there.  Despite the number of people up at the resort, it was clear that even resort ski touring is still a great activity for social distancing.  As is typically the case, we actually saw only a few people while we were out on the hill, and you still never had to go within 50 feet of anyone if you didn’t want to.

A few shots from the tour:

24MAR20B.jpg

24MAR20F.jpg

24MAR20D.jpg

24MAR20E.jpg

24MAR20C.jpg

24MAR20A.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, borderwx said:

Only a couple inches up here J. Still made for decent Gilpin turns. 

Nice, glad to hear you got out into the backcountry.  I was actually thinking of touring on the Bolton BC Network when we were out the other day – with so many people off from work, the resort trails are getting more traffic than usual.

The snowpack at the Mt. Mansfield Stake is still 60 inches, and the forecast shows various chances for snow in the higher elevations over the next week.  Even if none of the snows are very substantial, there don’t seem to be any overly warm temperatures, so the snowpack at elevation shouldn’t be going anywhere.

I’m hoping we get some more rounds of spring storms with accumulations like this last one – it’s kind of strange having the resorts closed here in March, but it’s presenting some unique opportunities.

The time of year is always so great with the deep snowpack and longer days, and the warm spring skiing is certainly fun, but the spring powder days have such a cool vibe – you get a piece of winter sort of transplanted into spring, atop what is typically the deepest base of the season!

Enjoyed last nights thunderstorms.  We had a couple move through during the evening.  The best one was late evening.  Temp at 33F with heavy rain turning to heavy sleet.  Enough to whiten the ground.  At first I thought it was hail and maybe under certain unique weather conditions both could fall if there was enough convection above the cold lower layer.  That's a question for the Mets...

Looking forward to some snow this afternoon and then we are under the wheel of misfortune for awhile

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Enjoyed last nights thunderstorms.  We had a couple move through during the evening.  The best one was late evening.  Temp at 33F with heavy rain turning to heavy sleet.  Enough to whiten the ground.  At first I thought it was hail and maybe under certain unique weather conditions both could fall if there was enough convection above the cold lower layer.  That's a question for the Mets...

Looking forward to some snow this afternoon and then we are under the wheel of misfortune for awhile

We had both here. The first set of cells was all small hail. There was a layered look to the hydrometeors and some were a little smaller than peas. That last line started as hail, but transitioned over to regular sleet and the temp responded with a quick drop from 35F to 33F. Some of the colder surfaces still had a coating of it remaining this morning.

There was some decent hail here near the CON-Pembroke line as well as I saw large piles of it built up near storm drains and other runoff areas.

I'm starting to get that itch to start working on my yard and plant things. Then I checked last year records to see the last frost and realized we were at 35F in late June. That's 3 months away. Just shoot me...

Sap is going strong though so at least there's that. 0.8" of cement last night; made it easier to carry the sap sled 

March Totals

Accumulating Storms:  7

Snowfall:  12.9”

Liquid Equivalent: 3.34”

March mean and median snowfall here at our site are both right around 30 inches, so this March was definitely somewhat lean in that department, running 0.86 S.D. below average.  This March certainly won’t go down as a “middle of the pack” type of month, but it’s definitely not in with the “bottom of the barrel” type seasons like ‘09-‘10 (2.1”) and ’15-‘16 (5.7”) either.  It even edged out ‘08-‘09 (12.6”), although it certainly falls in that group with seasons like ’11-‘12 (14.2”) and ’14-‘15 (17.2”).

Total liquid for the month was a bit below the mean (3.67”), but pretty typical overall.

The total number of accumulating snowstorms was actually right about the average (~7.5).

Now that we’re on to April, the yard snowpack is dwindling and I suspect the last vestiges will be gone within a few days.  It will likely disappear earlier than average (4/15), but it already looks like it’s going to persist longer than some of the very early seasons like ‘09-‘10 (4/3).  This season had a very early snowpack start though (11/8), so the duration of the continuous winter snowpack here in the yard is already at 148 days and beyond the average duration.

March snowfall here (15.5") was below the mean of 17.5" but above the median of 14.9" - getting 55.5" in 3/01 skews the average a bit.  Ground's been white from 11/11 onward but with only 7" this morning it's only got a few more days.  Current consecutive run is 145 days, and amazingly given the quality of this winter, that trails only last winter and is 4th for total 1"+ days.  We'll pass 2002-03 (another low-snow winter, but due to suppression) on Sunday and would tie 2014-15 at 150 if the cover survives until Wednesday evening - I think not.  SDDs are well below both average and median, same as 02-03 though we're a bit higher than that winter.