Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

31 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

The models do suggest that lake moisture will move back south as the winds shift and things eventually dissipate.  It certainly doesn’t look as intense as the moisture passes back through the area, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some additional flakes.  Some of the models have flakes lingering through Sunday morning.  We just got hit by another pulse that dropped a fresh couple of tenths:

28FEB20A.gif

Firehose pointed at Alburg, VT, Chazy, NY and St. Armand, PQ

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It probably was a good condition for moisture to be wrung out near the spine there. That's pretty cool. 

It was a very memorable event.  This place can still bring those high end surprising events but the signs were there... you'd just never forecast it.  The long duration Lake Ontario band was aimed somewhere in this region and most models had a huge streamer even getting to NH/ME.  That type of moisture with fantastic snow growth mixing with the orographic lift?  Bonkers.

Froude numbers were around 1.0 which is pretty much perfect for the east slope on Mansfield.  The best lift is right over the crest and then you have the strong westerly flow that is able to blow those fluffy dendrites pretty far downwind.  Town rarely gets into stuff to that extent, too.  10" out of this was quite the surprise.  It's already settling as the last few inches was pretty much pure lake effect, stacking high on trees and powerlines with fluff.  The first round was wet paste and then ratios kept increasing from there.

Overall, this wasn't as much an upslope event, it was a Lake Ontario event that got a pretty substantial bump when it interacted with the Spine.  It was like 10" of dense synoptic snow, then 20" of blower lake effect on the mountain.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Stake is now a few inches under the 7 foot mark... probably right around 80".

Well, the updated Mansfield Snow Depth Plot pretty much tells the story – this is clearly the most substantial deviation above average we’ve seen so far this season.

28FEB20A.jpg

33 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Well, the updated Mansfield Snow Depth Plot pretty much tells the story – this is clearly the most substantial deviation above average we’ve seen so far this season.

And just like that, 15" above the normal level.

This one was memorable for how it happened from a skiers perspective.  I may never have runs like the past couple days again.  Yesterday was pure untracked sweetness in Tres Amigos with literally no tracks in huge swaths, for several laps.  Today the Quad opened at like 1pm after wind hold all morning.  Folks were tired or started leaving thinking the Quad and Sensation wouldn't open today.  Then bam at 1pm everything popped open as the wind abated.  All that snow sitting there for a couple days of very low to no traffic/lift access in spots...you don't get that lucky sneaking out for runs at 2pm ever.

Event totals: 11.0” Snow/1.67” L.E.

We picked up another 0.2” through midnight last night, and then I woke up to another 3” as the lake effect band has been moving back southward.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 3.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 42.9

Snow Density: 2.3% H2O

Temperature: 16.9 F

Sky:  Snow (2 to 10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 16.5 inches

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

9" more at High Road Stake this morning.

39" total at that location on Mansfield.

This is getting out of hand.

5" more in the parking lots at 1,500ft...almost two feet now at base level.

What’s the deal with the upcoming week though? Most weather outlets are reporting rain on Wednesday:( I was suppose to ski sugarbush or Stowe but now thinking I should head to Jays peak to play it safe with the slopppp. Thoughts? 

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Here we go again. The ski area is in the firehose again.

IMG_6063.JPG.af9cfd2466b8ac1b552290913fba9f76.JPG

I am still in disbelief that it did it again last night.  Look at that firehose... with lake effect those yellows are like 2"/hr on the hill.

Like 30 hours of this lake effect streamer being aimed in the Mansfield direction.

Finally down to just a few flurries now and even a couple breaks in the clouds.

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

And just like that, 15" above the normal level.

This one was memorable for how it happened from a skiers perspective.  I may never have runs like the past couple days again.  Yesterday was pure untracked sweetness in Tres Amigos with literally no tracks in huge swaths, for several laps.  Today the Quad opened at like 1pm after wind hold all morning.  Folks were tired or started leaving thinking the Quad and Sensation wouldn't open today.  Then bam at 1pm everything popped open as the wind abated.  All that snow sitting there for a couple days of very low to no traffic/lift access in spots...you don't get that lucky sneaking out for runs at 2pm ever.

I saw the chairs were off the quad at around 11 and thought there was no way they would open it.  Went out after lunch and got some of the first runs in... You are not exaggerating!!  Maybe ski patrol and people who work at a resort see that sometimes but for the average skier, it was unbelievable...From the four runner on the way up, it sounded like people were having orgasms in the woods...Best skiing in along time.  The top of Starr and Hayride were just sick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

9" more at High Road Stake this morning.

I’ve updated the north to south listing of available totals from the Vermont ski areas for Winter Storm Odell with what I’ve found today.

Jay Peak: 32”

Smuggler’s Notch: 32”

Stowe: 39”

Bolton Valley: 28”

Mad River Glen: 14”

Sugarbush: 11”

Pico: 11”

Killington: 11”

Okemo: 2”

Bromley: 6”

Magic Mountain: 4”

Stratton: 6”

Mount Snow: 5”

On 2/5/2020 at 1:56 PM, J.Spin said:

Correlating data from my site, Mansfield at PF’s ~3,000’ plot should be averaging roughly three storm cycles per season with >24”, two per season with >30”, one per season >36”, one per season >40”, and a cycle of >48” about every other season.  I’m not sure if he’s even had a >24” storm cycle yet this season?  I think he’s probably due based on the statistics.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This is getting out of hand.

Well, based on the numbers above that I posted earlier this month during the Winter Storm Kade period, you should reel in roughly one 36”+ or 40”+ storm cycle a season on average.  Sometimes they sort of sneak up on you like this one, but it certainly delivered.

Here at the house, this storm has definitely been an assist with respect to keeping us at the roughly average snowfall pace we’ve been riding for much of the season.  Average snowfall to this point in the season is a bit over 120”, and we’d been slipping behind that pace, but Odell has brought us back up within a couple inches of average.  

• Like 1

We finished with a 40" storm total at the High Road Snow Plot.  This is high-end.  Andre and I are big fans of documenting events and a 40" storm total sounds outrageous, but that's what it was at the regular High Road Plot at 3kft on the east slope of Mansfield.

This is the same location we measure all winter and have used for Stowe snowfall over the past decade. It is certainly not a drift. This was one of the more freakish events I have ever seen at the mountain. Along with that, the 25" stack that Andre found yesterday morning is one of the single largest stacks we have ever seen there, though it was a full day of accumulation due to the previous day wind hold.

88236515_10104057583541920_3679032719049

Event totals: 1.5” Snow/0.04” L.E.

The backside lake-effect snows from Winter Storm Odell finally tapered off today, but the models have been showing another system on its heels in the Saturday night timeframe.  I’d actually forgotten about this system until I looked out back before heading off to bed and saw a stack of snow on the snowboard.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 37.5

Snow Density: 2.7% H2O

Temperature: 14.7 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2 to 8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 16.0 inches

It’s still snowing out there, but this evening’s accumulation will mark the end of February snow for this season.  The month will therefore finish with 37.5” of snow, which is just a bit below average thanks to the productivity of the past few days.