Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

21 hours ago, J.Spin said:

...it looks like we’ve got a chance for a bit of snow today into tomorrow, and then a slightly larger system in the Tuesday timeframe.

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.02” L.E.

This first event has always been shown as fairly weak in the modeling, but when I heard the plow go by this morning I assumed we’d picked up something.  I found 0.7” of fluffy snow on the boards, and the BTV NWS forecast discussion assigned it to a weak cold front traversing the area.  I’m not sure exactly when the snow fell, but I could tell that the accumulation had settled a bit from what it had initially been – the overall surface still had the subtle ridges and valleys that come from irregular accumulations or larger flakes and flake clusters, but it had the smoothed over look in the way that initially dendritic accumulations settle down.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 35.0

Snow Density: 2.9% H2O

Temperature: 22.5 F

Sky:  Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 15.5 inches

The next system is still expected to affect the area in the Tuesday/Wednesday time period, with 2-4” in the point forecast here.  Beyond that through the weekend, the BTV NWS says to watch for a couple of upper level shortwaves traversing overhead, but in general the weather will be quieter.

My records indicate that we’ve just passed the two-thirds point in the snowfall season, so at this point we’ve got roughly a third of the way to go on average.  A check on seasonal snowfall here shows the mean for today at 106.3”, and we’re just a bit behind that pace at 104.4” with this morning’s snow included in the total.

14 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Pretty decent plow pile

11 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol yea that was what I was looking at, lots of Turkeys around our woods too.

They aight all things considered. The bigger pile is by the birds. We don’t melt a lot of snow on the north side of the hill. They get pretty high in AN winters.

5A27E174-DB25-49E4-8E20-DC65F4376FFE.jpeg
61C18B2D-67AE-4EE0-B248-385C93EA28A9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They aight all things considered. The bigger pile is by the birds. We don’t melt a lot of snow on the north side of the hill. They get pretty high in AN winters.

5A27E174-DB25-49E4-8E20-DC65F4376FFE.jpeg
61C18B2D-67AE-4EE0-B248-385C93EA28A9.jpeg

I had to stay home Saturday because one of our dogs tore his ACL but my wife had a great time at the ice castle and Woodstock Brewery.  Sent me a bunch of pics,decent snow cover. Another 4 to 6 there and ski areas. Great vacation week for many.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I had to stay home Saturday because one of our dogs tore his ACL but my wife had a great time at the ice castle and Woodstock Brewery.  Sent me a bunch of pics,decent snow cover. Another 4 to 6 there and ski areas. Great vacation week for many.

Damn it, I wish you were up here,  I would have met you for dinner or something

4 hours ago, dryslot said:

Put 98 miles on yesterday riding local and for what snow there was, It wasn't to bad, We headed NW of here thru Turner, Buckfield, Canton and Jay area then back thru Livermore, Leeds, Greene and Lewiston, So whatever falls tomorrow will add to what we already have out there.

Lots of sled traffic this weekend on the club trail thru our woodlot.   16" a the stake so a bit thin for good grooming.  Snowshoeing with our Dudley Lab was excellent - at least something good came from the sleet fest 10 days ago.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dryslot said:

Put 98 miles on yesterday riding local and for what snow there was, It wasn't to bad, We headed NW of here thru Turner, Buckfield, Canton and Jay area then back thru Livermore, Leeds, Greene and Lewiston, So whatever falls tomorrow will add to what we already have out there.

image.png.6281a2982c511d6895b7db85bee2a73a.png

image.png.e2d2681b2f264e924d7b0bd938397b78.png

Nice. Did 105 Saturday and 91 yesterday. Got to get it while you can. 

• Like 1

The first flakes I saw this morning at the house in Waterbury appeared around 7:15 A.M. or so, and it was certainly picking up in intensity by the time I was leaving around 7:45 A.M.  As I headed west though, the snow stopped altogether, which may be due to some of that downsloping that the modeling shows for the western slopes.  There was nothing going on here in Burlington when I arrived around 8:30 A.M., but there’s a steady light snow out there now.

Event totals: 1.0” Snow/0.10” L.E.

The snow accumulations in the Burlington area seemed similar to what I found here in Waterbury, but in line with what I saw on the way into town this morning, there was essentially no visible accumulation in the Richmond area by I-89.  I’m guessing it was due to downsloping along the western slopes of the Greens.

The snow had stopped and we just had some mist falling at observations time here at the house, but not long after that it changed back to snow and we’ve had light snow falling here since that point.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 31.3 F

Sky:  Mist

Snow at the stake: 15.5 inches

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Only 2" for this event at the ski resort.... a very light crust too from some freezing mist of about a couple tenths of an inch on the top of the snow surface.

Roger that, we had that mist as well around observations time yesterday evening.  It was really brief in this area though and quickly turned back to snow - I couldn’t even detect it when I was clearing the snow off the webcam board this morning.

We had another round of snow this morning, which brings the total to 1.7” for the event.  That’s a touch below the 2-4” in the point forecast, but I find the lower end of the range is common in these types of events with more southerly component to the flow and small flakes/snow grains.