Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

From Banter thread but will live on in here: 

What a Sunday out there.

-22F this morning on the full moon clear skies, fresh deep pack...it looked like the surface of the moon this morning at -20s.

Sun is out and temps are rising fast.  16" of snow depth in the yard.

There's still a pretty good glaze from the ZR before the snow on the pines...they are feeling it after acouple days of solid weight.

Snow_Feb_9.jpg.7d9ab73a5a059e0fab857d6168a72344.jpg

• Like 3

Put together this latest storm's snowfall readings on Mansfield at the High Road Plot.

19" total and I'd wager there was close to 2.0" of water when all was said and done.

155" on the season so far, tracking below the 20 year average but we have now hit the same amount of snow we had in the entire 2015-16 season, ha.

84656250_10104035702741220_1560984960125

11 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

-24 more brrrrr!!!!

Saw that -24F on Alex's weather station.  I can't remember but I think he recorded a -34F last year.  That might be the lowest temperature since moving to there.  I had a balmy 0F up on the hill.  Never do good with radiational cooling my best is CAA temps.

It is really beautiful around here with the ice on the trees.  Starts just north of Tilton NH on Rt 93.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Saw that -24F on Alex's weather station.  I can't remember but I think he recorded a -34F last year.  That might be the lowest temperature since moving to there.  I had a balmy 0F up on the hill.  Never do good with radiational cooling my best is CAA temps.

It is really beautiful around here with the ice on the trees.  Starts just north of Tilton NH on Rt 93.

Yeah, anything below 0 is completely unnecessary...actually anything below 20 degrees is unnecessary. It should just stay at 32, that way we can still have snow, but no one has time for this cold

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

Yeah, anything below 0 is completely unnecessary...actually anything below 20 degrees is unnecessary. It should just stay at 32, that way we can still have snow, but no one has time for this cold

We were lucky we were at LSC in the late 90s and not the 80s.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mreaves said:

I remember many, many -30s in Canaan, Island Pond and other NEK spots in the 70’s & 80’s. -32 at IP this morning. 

I remember watching WCAX one day for the 6 pm news back in January 1994.  It was -27F in S Royalton out my window.  It rained the next day.

Event totals: 1.3” Snow/0.07” L.E.

Our next round of snow came into the area starting late last night with the current system known as Winter Storm Lamont.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 18.6

Snow Density: 5.4% H2O

Temperature: 29.5 F

Sky:  Light Snow (1 to 2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 18.5 inches

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Start low. You can always go lower.

image.png

image.png

Ha. -40 at RUT.  

I was looking at some COOP stuff a while back and saw a -35F even all the way down here in the SVT valley banana belt during JAN 94 at the Dorset COOP.  So guess it's not impossible..but I will take the under on that...lol.

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Ha. -40 at RUT.  

I was looking at some COOP stuff a while back and saw a -35F even all the way down here in the SVT valley banana belt during JAN 94 at the Dorset COOP.  So guess it's not impossible..but I will take the under on that...lol.

And 77 years ago on nearly the same date, CON hit -37 and PWM a head-exploding -39 just a stone's throw from (mostly) salt water.  Even NYC shivered at -8, their 3rd coldest morning on record.

18 minutes ago, tamarack said:

And 77 years ago on nearly the same date, CON hit -37 and PWM a head-exploding -39 just a stone's throw from (mostly) salt water.  Even NYC shivered at -8, their 3rd coldest morning on record.

Massabesic Lake near my birth house in S NH hit -43°.

31.6F  Thick fog.

Gray and wintery today.   Light snow started around 8am and gave me about 1/4".  Bit of freezing drizzle during the day but temps have remained below freezing.  Ceiling has been very low so mostly in low clouds all day.   9" at the snow stake and the snow is dense with quite a bit of sleet mixed in.

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Lowery day for sure.  Something's in the air here in AUG - fog, dz, frdz, can't tell (could go outside, I suppose.)    A number of stations reporting precip outside of the areas of radar returns; maybe it's originating too low to give a return.

We've had 20 minutes of moderate snow with large flakes today, then occasional freezing drizzle and now snizzle

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.01” L.E.

The BTV NWS forecast discussion indicates that tonight’s snow is from the next northern stream shortwave, so this is being recorded as a different event from the one earlier today.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 50.0

Snow Density: 2.0% H2O

Temperature: 31.1 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2 to 8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 16.5 inches

12FEB20A.gif

Early this morning I received a text about an upcoming Winter Weather Advisory for our county.  There’s actually quite a patchwork of advisories out there in the area, with what looks like the lower valleys omitted.  Our point forecast suggest a storm total somewhere in the 3-5” range, which seems consistent with the BTV NWS map.

12FEB20A.jpg

12FEB20B.jpg