Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

Event totals: 12.1” Snow/1.72” L.E.

With this latest round of observations, the current system (Winter Storm Kade) has become the largest of the season with respect to snow accumulation at our site, passing the system we had in mid-January that brought 11.8” of snow.  This one had already far surpassed that storm with respect to liquid equivalent though, as that one only had a total of 0.65” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 5.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.48 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.8

Snow Density: 9.2% H2O

Temperature: 20.1 F

Sky:  Snow (2 to 15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 17.0 inches

• Like 1

I think it flipped to snow here around 3pm? Maybe it was 2pm, Alex will fire me if I'm wrong :)

It pretty much went right into heavy snow, and roads got bad fast. When I left work at 530pm I had a bit of trouble getting out of the parking lot. My travel lane on 302 was somewhat plowed so lucky me. But I couldnt see more than 25feet in front of me, and when the wind gusted it was almost completely whiteout. It was the heaviest snow I have ever driven in. Not sure what getting out of the parking lot where I live is going to be like in the morning. The parking lot drops down off of 302, so I have to wait for a big opening in traffic and punch the gas to get through the plow pile and out into the road. Fun times.

You could really see the main part of the storm pretty much drying up on the radar, but instead of totally disappearing here, it just seemed to transition right over to northwest flow:

07FEB20B.gif

I just had to pick up my son from work at Shaw’s here in town, and the visibility is still essentially as low as it was this afternoon.  The snowfall probably isn’t quite as intense with respect to total liquid coming out of the sky, but the flakes are much larger, giving roughly the same result.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

I think it flipped to snow here around 3pm? Maybe it was 2pm, Alex will fire me if I'm wrong :)

It pretty much went right into heavy snow, and roads got bad fast. When I left work at 530pm I had a bit of trouble getting out of the parking lot. My travel lane on 302 was somewhat plowed so lucky me. But I couldnt see more than 25feet in front of me, and when the wind gusted it was almost completely whiteout. It was the heaviest snow I have ever driven in. Not sure what getting out of the parking lot where I live is going to be like in the morning. The parking lot drops down off of 302, so I have to wait for a big opening in traffic and punch the gas to get through the plow pile and out into the road. Fun times.

I can’t believe your boss made you work until 5:30. What a slave driver!

• Haha 1

Event totals: 17.0” Snow/1.86” L.E.

We’ve partly cleared out and the radar is quiet, so these snow and L.E. values appear to be the final totals for Winter Storm Kade here at our site.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 80.0

Snow Density: 1.3% H2O

Temperature: 6.8 F

Sky:  Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 20.0 inches

• Like 1

Below is the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas that I’ve seen for Winter Storm Kade.  It appears that Smugg’s topped the list with 29”.  There are a few curious numbers relative to nearby resorts, but the biggest head scratcher is probably the ‘bush reporting 12” while MRG right next door is reporting 22”.

Jay Peak: 19”

Burke: 13”

Smuggler’s Notch: 29”

Stowe: 19”

Bolton Valley: 22”

Mad River Glen: 22”

Sugarbush: 12”

Middlebury: 18”

Suicide Six: 4”

Pico: 8”

Killington: 8”

Okemo: 4”

Bromley: 11”

Magic Mountain: 9”

Stratton: 6”

Mount Snow: 4”

Storm total was about 6"

Interesting ride today from Concord NH north to my house.  I had mostly sleet yesterday with some freezing drizzle and a bit of freezing rain.  Just 5 miles south of me was much heavier freezing rain with all the trees glazed.  A really beautiful ride from here to around Brian's area.  Around Concord NH the ground was snow covered but only looked like a couple of inches.  The hilltops had glaze but lower elevations did not.

I just checked on the snow depth at the Mt. Mansfield Stake, and it looks like Winter Storm Kade was just what was needed to finally catch things up to average:

08FEB20C.jpg

It seems like the potential is there for some additional snowfall this week with multiple systems in the queue, so hopefully Mother Nature can keep at least the usual snow depth increases going over the next several weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Here’s a snow update and a few pics from Bolton Valley yesterday.  They reported a storm total of 22”, and we generally found about 18” of powder atop the base at most elevations.  My son probed the total snowpack depth off piste down near the Timberline Base at ~1,500’ and found roughly 30” of snow.  Using the Mt. Mansfield Stake as an estimate for snowpack near ridgeline elevations of 3,000’ to 4,000’, it’s probably up near the 60” mark.  The only read downside to yesterday was the cold – it sounded like temperatures were just above 0 F down at the main base at ~2,100’, and up above 3,000’ you could really feel that it had dropped off even more.  I’d guess it was several degrees below 0 F up there.  Winds weren’t bad, but we still spent most of our time down in the Timberline elevations because the temperature was notably better and the snow was just as good.

08FEB20B.jpg

08FEB20G.jpg

08FEB20F.jpg

08FEB20D.jpg

• Like 5

I have to laugh at myself for the times I complained up there. North GA got a hit yesterday and here we are still sitting on a trace for the season (which even here is abysmal). This actually ranks as the worst winter I have ever been through. Anywhere south of you guys and the pattern is a complete disaster. I am enjoying all the pics in this thread wishing I was on the slopes again.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1