• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

Nice sunset tonight.  Brian might know where this is.  Pretty pathetic snow cover for Feb 4th.  That looks to change Thursday/Friday

I have been out of the loop for so long.  Trying to figure out sensible weather from me to Concord NH on Thur/Friday.  Seems like a total mess.  I'll take snow but seems like quite a bit of ice will be involved with part 2.

Brian Feb 2020 sunset - Copy.jpg

• Like 3

This week I have come to appreciate the impact a layer of snow flakes can make. Each day we have picked up a quick layer ii a passing flurry, currently dropping some slow flakes.

The back yard xc ski center has moved scary fast to enjoyable skiing with literally three layers of snow flakes.  Kind of surprised to see us in the 13" bracket for the upcoming event. If that verifies, going to need to move onto steeper slopes:)

Event totals: 2.4” Snow/0.24” L.E.

The snow falling this morning was composed of small 1-2 mm flakes, and I’m not sure what the flake structure was in the wee hours, but the core came in a very straightforward 10 to 1 for the snow to liquid ratio.  Driving toward Burlington this morning, the snow accumulations seemed to drop off a bit once I hit Jonesville on the western slopes, and they may have picked up a bit less snow, but I think the shallower snow cover there before the storm was what contributed to much of that impression

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.24 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 20.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 to 2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

I got an alert yesterday afternoon that we were upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning in our county, and as the BTV NWS advisory map shows below, the northern counties across NY, VT, and NH are under a similar warning.  The updated projected accumulations map suggests the highest accumulations will be along the northern part of the state with areas in the 18-24” shading.

06FEB20A.jpg

06FEB20B.jpg

2 inches of snow and then it was a sleet party off and on all day...then it was rain and sleet. At one point driving home from work it starting pouring sleet and I had my high beams on and it looked like diamonds...never experienced that before. No Idea what this next wave will bring.

Event totals: 3.1” Snow/0.42” L.E.

The family was home due to a snow day, so they were able to put out a noontime board that allowed me to get an intermediate reading on today’s snow density.  After the 6:00 A.M. clearing we picked up 0.4” of snow containing 0.08” of liquid, and then from 12:00 P.M. to 6:00 P.M. the accumulation was as detailed below.  We had quite a burst of sleet earlier this evening, but there’s also been snow mixed in as well.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 3.0

Snow Density: 33.3% H2O

Temperature: 28.0 F

Sky: Sleet/Snow

Snow at the stake: 9.5 inches

On the BTV NWS area advisories map there’s been an expansion of Winter Storm Warnings off to the west since my last post, so I’ve added the updated map below.  I’ve also included the latest map for projected accumulations, which continues to show the highest totals along the Canadian border.  Our point forecast here calls for an additional 8-14” on top of what we’ve had, which may be a bit high relative to the mapping, but we’re right on the edge of the 12-18” shading, so that’s reasonably in sync.

06FEB20C.jpg

06FEB20D.jpg

Odd sequence for this event - 1.5" of 20:1 fluff in 2 pre-dawn hours yesterday then 1.0" of 6:1 tiny-rimeys during the day, and perhaps 0.05" of zr overnight (bucket is warming near the stove.)  GYX says 1-3 today, very little this evening and 5-8 for the 2-day total, down from 6-10 last evening.   I don't think we'll even get to the 5.  State offices are closed, though I think that a 2-hour delay to let the salt-sand folks do their thing would've been appropriate. 

Event totals: 3.9” Snow/0.74” L.E.

Since 6:00 P.M. yesterday evening we’ve had some sleet here, but much of the time the precipitation has been very small snow grains.  That precipitation type seems to have dominated since the southwest flow of moisture pushed into the area more heavily around midnight.  The snow grains have been incredibly small, often 1 mm in diameter at most, and they pack very densely – the 0.8” of accumulation we’ve picked up overnight (which I can tell from handling the core has a bit of sleet in there as well from earlier) contained 0.32” of liquid.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.32 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.5

Snow Density: 40.0% H2O

Temperature: 27.8 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 10.0 inches

11 minutes ago, borderwx said:

We crust:)
33F with a calm mist

It’s interesting that you guys are getting freezing/glazing precipitation farther north – there’s definitely a thick layer atop our pack from the sleet and these snow grains, but the only hint of freezing precipitation I’ve seen was just the faintest whiff of something on the rain gauge at observations time this morning.  I was going to say that maybe these snow grains we’re getting are very tiny sleet pellets that are small enough freeze on the way down, but I don’t think that’s it.  I’m not sure if sleet even gets that small, and these snow grains have hard, irregular edges like snow grains do.  I guess the atmosphere is doing a lot of different stuff around the area right now.

19 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

It’s interesting that you guys are getting freezing/glazing precipitation farther north – there’s definitely a thick layer atop our pack from the sleet and these snow grains, but the only hint of freezing precipitation I’ve seen was just the faintest whiff of something on the rain gauge at observations time this morning.  I was going to say that maybe these snow grains we’re getting are very tiny sleet pellets that are small enough freeze on the way down, but I don’t think that’s it.  I’m not sure if sleet even gets that small, and these snow grains have hard, irregular edges like snow grains do.  I guess the atmosphere is doing a lot of different stuff around the area right now.

I'm glad that I'm not the only having a hard time describing what has been coming out of the sky.  Similar to you, we have a pretty thick crust but no glazing to speak of.

33 minutes ago, Albert A Clipper said:

Heavy snow on the Bolton access road , 26 degrees only to return to frizzle and sleet at the base of Bolton, 29 degrees.

putting the orca back in the car haha 

I was going to comment that it was probably still transitioning – I just checked their live webcam and they’re snowing at the main base.

Event totals: 6.9” Snow/1.24” L.E.

The noontime core analysis contains some of the sleet that fell after this morning’s observations, so the density isn’t fully representative of the current snow that falling.  The next analysis should give us an idea of that density.  In any event, this last round of precipitation brought another half inch of liquid equivalent, so we simply flew past the 1” L.E. mark for the storm.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 3.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.50 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 6.0

Snow Density: 16.7% H2O

Temperature: 25.5 F

Sky:  Snow (2 to 10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 12.5 inches

• Like 1

1 hour ago, borderwx said:

7.5” since the switch, full whiteout conditions, 28 with occasional gusts

It’s been similar here – I just checked and we’ve got 4 inches out there since I cleared, so that’s 7 inches for this part of the storm.  The flakes have generally been on the smaller side, so it seems like the snow is coming in at a typical synoptic density.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

The flakes have generally been on the smaller side, so it seems like the snow is coming in at a typical synoptic density.

Actually, I just checked and the flakes are notably larger now.  I see on the radar that the flow has shifted to much more westerly, so that may be part of the change.

07FEB20A.gif