Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Hi Guys  (and Diane).

I have been missing in action the past week to 10 days.  My husband caught Pneumonia over 3 weeks ago and it has been quite the battle.  At first it was not too bad with home care but  by last weekend he was in the hospital.  Things got worse and worse and we almost lost him on Monday in ICU.  He has been on a ventilator since then but finally today came off and is doing better but he has a strange fungal infection and they  told me to expect several more weeks in the hospital.   That is the only downside of living in NNE away from big medical centers.  So give your love ones an extra hug because life can change in a flash.

Taking a hospital break and looking at what might happen this evening. 

4pm 33.1/32F here.   Was 32.7/31 when I got home 2 hours ago.  Noticed Euro gives me a few sloppy inches this eve but seems too warm?  

Holy crap Gene.  I'm so sorry you are going through that.  That's insane that pneumonia can do that.  

Best of luck and will be thinking of you.

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.07” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 6.7

Snow Density: 15.0% H2O

Temperature: 34.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (2 to 4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

As I mentioned in my previous post, the precipitation started as sleet here back around 3:00 P.M.  At that point the temperature was up around 37 F, and it’s been falling through the evening.  Snow began mixing in at some point, and then that became the predominant precipitation type.  Temperatures are still above freezing thought, so accumulation has been fairly slow.

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Hi Guys  (and Diane).

I have been missing in action the past week to 10 days.  My husband caught Pneumonia over 3 weeks ago and it has been quite the battle.  At first it was not too bad with home care but  by last weekend he was in the hospital.  Things got worse and worse and we almost lost him on Monday in ICU.  He has been on a ventilator since then but finally today came off and is doing better but he has a strange fungal infection and they  told me to expect several more weeks in the hospital.   That is the only downside of living in NNE away from big medical centers.  So give your love ones an extra hug because life can change in a flash.

4pm 33.1/32F here.   Was 32.7/31 when I got home 2 hours ago.  Noticed Euro gives me a few sloppy inches this eve but seems too warm?  

Holy crap, I'm so sorry, prayers and healing energy for you and your husband.  Please keep in touch!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Hi Guys  (and Diane).

Hope to see him back on his feet soon. Give him a hug from me and Aaron!

• Like 1

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.37” L.E.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.17 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 1.8

Snow Density: 56.7% H2O

Temperature: 32.9 F

Sky: Snow (2 to 20 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

Since it changed over from sleet in the afternoon, the precipitation has been all snow this evening.  At times the flakes have been small, but the heavier echoes bring big aggregates.  Accumulations have been very waterlogged and sloppy with temperatures around the freezing mark.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Huge aggregates at home, a coating of wet snow way down here in the valley at only 750ft...  Feels like a Pacific NW style storm.  Too bad we didn’t have more QPF.

No rain at the ski area... just wet snow.  A quick 2" this evening at elevation.

Net gain in the mountains AMOUT.

Well, the projected snowfall numbers in the Mansfield point forecast through Monday night are certainly nothing to scoff at – even the low end of those accumulations would be a solid addition:

Overnight

Snow, mainly before 4am. Low around 27. Windy, with a south wind 27 to 32 mph decreasing to 17 to 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Sunday

A chance of snow before 7am, then a chance of snow showers after 7am. Cloudy, with a high near 28. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Sunday Night

Snow showers. Low around 21. Windy, with a west wind 25 to 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Monday

Snow showers. High near 26. Windy, with a west wind 22 to 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Monday Night

A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 17. Windy, with a northwest wind 22 to 31 mph. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Wx2fish pointed this out, but looks like a good blocked flow event today near BTV?

It’s been snowing steady paste at the mountain. Only about an 1” today so far but I bet it’s under 10:1 ratio.  Pacific NW style stuff.   White rain down in town.  

Mountain dodged a huge bullet... never rained above 1,200ft or so.  About 3” of cream cheese skiing today.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s been snowing steady paste at the mountain. Only about an 1” today so far but I bet it’s under 10:1 ratio.  Pacific NW style stuff.   White rain down in town.  

Mountain dodged a huge bullet... never rained above 1,200ft or so.  About 3” of cream cheese skiing today.

We’re on the gondola right now heading up, and the conditions at elevation are simply fantastic.  Yeah it might have been only a few inches of new, but it’s on top of a LOT of great snow below it.  Unsettling snow of piste is actually quite deep where it hasn’t been touched.  The line where you hit that PNW-style wet pack on the groomed surfaces is right around the 2,000’ mark on this side of Mansfield based on what we experienced on our last run.

4 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

We’re on the gondola right now heading up, and the conditions at elevation are simply fantastic.  Yeah it might have been only a few inches of new, but it’s on top of a LOT of great snow below it.  Unsettling snow of piste is actually quite deep where it hasn’t been touched.  The line where you hit that PNW-style wet pack on the groomed surfaces is right around the 2,000’ mark on this side of Mansfield based on what we experienced on our last run.

Yup that’s what I found.  It gets that wet packy weird snow below 2,000ft where your skis sort of do their own thing lol.  It’s an odd surface.  But up high is great.  Really fantastic in the woods.  That dense snow gives a nice buffer in the Glades.

Event totals: 0.6” Snow/0.42” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 3.3

Snow Density: 30.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (2 to 10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

We were out much of the day at the mountain, but it looks like the snowfall was fairly minimal here at the house.  The flow was from the south much of the day, but I see that it’s turned more to the west now and the snowfall has really picked up with much larger flakes.

26JAN20A.gif

17 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yup that’s what I found.  It gets that wet packy weird snow below 2,000ft where your skis sort of do their own thing lol.  It’s an odd surface.  But up high is great.  Really fantastic in the woods.  That dense snow gives a nice buffer in the Glades.

Yeah, that wet pack snow is very PNW-like.  I’ve experienced it most intensely at Whistler Blackcomb with their relatively low base elevation.  It was kind of fun today though using the end of runs to work with the boys and discuss technique.

At the mountain today we typically stayed out of steep off piste areas below -2,500’ because they need just a bit more base to really be in prime form, but above that it was fantastic as you noted.  We generally found 18 inches of powder up high before we’d encounter any crusty layers.  Even if the 40” or so at the stake is below average, that's still a lot of snow – we could routinely stick our poles into the snowpack right up to the handle.  A few shots from today’s outing:

26JAN20F.jpg

26JAN20D.jpg

26JAN20E.jpg

26JAN20A.jpg

26JAN20B.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Event totals: 1.4” Snow/0.49” L.E.

We’ve been having on and off rounds of light snow on the back side of this system, with another batch of flakes starting up as I was leaving the house this morning.  Details from the past couple rounds of observations are below, and the snow density has definitely come down some as we head into this part of the storm.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.0

Snow Density: 8.3% H2O

Temperature: 33.1 F

Sky: Cloudy

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.5 F

Sky: Cloudy

13 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

This my first winter here, but upslope has been really hard to manifest here...maybe the flow is all wrong...Alex and I were talking about what summer is like up here. I'm excited to go through all my 1st seasons up here.

I was under the impression that uplsope was very localized in that area and closer to Breton woods and that 6 mile road to cog , but someone up there may have a better grip on the details of the mostly elusive white’s upslope areas

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It's been snowing nicely this evening.  Roads were snow covered but slick... folks may hate on the upslope at times, but it keeps snow going when there are no real storms in sight.

Wet snow still...sticking to every little branch.  Mountain has had several inches since 4pm.

Jan_26_9pm.gif.74ccea2779142a07aebf53742d75de30.gif

Who hates on the upslope?

17 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I was under the impression that uplsope was very localized in that area and closer to Breton woods and that 6 mile road to cog , but someone up there may have a better grip on the details of the mostly elusive white’s upslope areas

That's correct. The entire area between Hart's Location (Crawford Notch) - St. J, VT - Jefferson - Berlin gets SOME, but the more intense stuff is usually quite localized to just about the snowmobile parking area at the start of the Lower Falls trail in Bretton Woods up Base Road and Rt 302 about 1/3 of the way down the Notch - not much past the 2 waterfalls as the elevation decreases significantly. 

When speaking of upslope, though, one also needs to keep expectations in check. Down here in the valley, with a few exceptions when you get a foot to as much as 30" (I believe that was 2 years ago), upslope just means days on end of flurries that at times turn to moderate snow and gives you a couple of inches - usually 1 to 3, sometimes 5 or 6. It's a very similar pattern to what JSpin reports from his house. To find the higher amounts one needs to go up in elevation - and I never go up and measure what it's doing at 4000 feet (nor do I really care), unlike some of our VT friends who are in similar partterns but may give a perception that upslope means 6" every day. It doesn't - at least not here; if it did, instead of my 170" or so average, we would have 300". 

In a normal winter, it adds up to a significant depth because there is little melt. This year, not so much - and I think that's where some of the difference (and disappointment) comes from. Our snowpack (at least, my snow stake)  is currently at just over 6" and it's never gone higher than 14" if I remember correctly. That's pretty pathetic for end of January at 1500+ feet 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, alex said:

That's correct. The entire area between Hart's Location (Crawford Notch) - St. J, VT - Jefferson - Berlin gets SOME, but the more intense stuff is usually quite localized to just about the snowmobile parking area at the start of the Lower Falls trail in Bretton Woods up Base Road and Rt 302 about 1/3 of the way down the Notch - not much past the 2 waterfalls as the elevation decreases significantly. 

When speaking of upslope, though, one also needs to keep expectations in check. Down here in the valley, with a few exceptions when you get a foot to as much as 30" (I believe that was 2 years ago), upslope just means days on end of flurries that at times turn to moderate snow and gives you a couple of inches - usually 1 to 3, sometimes 5 or 6. It's a very similar pattern to what JSpin reports from his house. To find the higher amounts one needs to go up in elevation - and I never go up and measure what it's doing at 4000 feet (nor do I really care), unlike some of our VT friends who are in similar partterns but may give a perception that upslope means 6" every day. It doesn't - at least not here; if it did, instead of my 170" or so average, we would have 300". 

In a normal winter, it adds up to a significant depth because there is little melt. This year, not so much - and I think that's where some of the difference (and disappointment) comes from. Our snowpack (at least, my snow stake)  is currently at just over 6" and it's never gone higher than 14" if I remember correctly. That's pretty pathetic for end of January at 1500+ feet 

Holy shit!  You only have 6” at 1500ft?  

I have 6” at 750ft and there’s 18-19” at your same 1,500ft at the ski area.  

Mountain picked up another 6” in the last 24 hrs from the upslope burst last night and it’s still snowing...total of 8” so far from the entire event as of 11:30.

Finally getting winter momentum going again.

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I was under the impression that uplsope was very localized in that area and closer to Breton woods and that 6 mile road to cog, but someone up there may have a better grip on the details of the mostly elusive white’s upslope areas

34 minutes ago, alex said:

That’s really interesting with respect to the localization.  We really didn’t know much about the upslope snows in the Whites on the forum here until Alex joined, and we’re certainly learning more about it with Diane in the area as well.  We’ll have to get PF into the conversation to get his thoughts on the localization issue, but it does sound a bit more restricted over there in the Whites.  As “localized” as we talk about it over here in the Greens, it’s always felt to me that it’s there pretty much up and down the entire spine, even down into SNE.  It just becomes less and less intense and frequent as one heads south from the Jay Peak area at the international border.  We get it to a certain distance east and west of the spine, and that depends on the Froude Numbers associated with each event, but it seems like it’s over the entire length.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Holy shit!  You only have 6” at 1500ft?  

I have 6” at 750ft and there’s 18-19” at your same 1,500ft at the ski area.  

Mountain picked up another 6” in the last 24 hrs from the upslope burst last night and it’s still snowing...total of 8” so far from the entire event as of 11:30.

Finally getting winter momentum going again.

Yep, it's pretty pathetic! There's probably more if you went into the woods and took cores, but I go by my stake and either way, it's not great. 80" of snow to date, and 6" on the ground on January 27th.  Our torches have been brutal!

6 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

That’s really interesting with respect to the localization.  We really didn’t know much about the upslope snows in the Whites on the forum here until Alex joined, and we’re certainly learning more about it with Diane in the area as well.  We’ll have to get PF into the conversation to get his thoughts on the localization issue, but it does sound a bit more restricted over there in the Whites.  As “localized” as we talk about it over here in the Greens, it’s always felt to me that it’s there pretty much up and down the entire spine, even down into SNE.  It just becomes less and less intense and frequent as one heads south from the Jay Peak area at the international border.  We get it to a certain distance east and west of the spine, and that depends on the Froude numbers associated with each event, but it seems like it’s over the entire length.

Hard to tell without much data from places like St J, Littleton, Jefferson etc but you may be right. The terrain here is also different - more rugged than the Greens in general, which maybe leads to more localization? There are some spots here that are really impressive for their ability to get no snow - Rt3 right after Cannon, for instance, and even Twin Mountain just 5 mile s west of me

Wish there were more coops with snow data across Coos County. There was one up by Diamond Pond for a while and they get crushed. That area to Pittsburg gets upslope, but it seems generate off the terrain from Dixville Notch extending northeastward, not the whites. 

Further south, Randolph seems to do really well in most setups, atleast where the cocorahs observer is. 

18 minutes ago, alex said:

Yep, it's pretty pathetic! There's probably more if you went into the woods and took cores, but I go by my stake and either way, it's not great. 80" of snow to date, and 6" on the ground on January 27th.  Our torches have been brutal!

That's amazing. I've had half your snowfall but twice the pack (though it may lose an inch today.)  It's where upslope goes to die but is great for CAD.  I wonder if some of the southerly warmth running up the CT River spills over the NH notches but can't pass the Mahoosucs.  There have been several times during warm-tongue events when I've been 5-10° cooler than BML/HIE here at 390'.

27 minutes ago, alex said:

Awesome upslope paste event still in progress over here at 1,500ft!  We’ll try to send some your way.

This has added some decent QPF as these ratios are under 10:1 wet snow.

Base of the ski resort is a winter wonderland.  A bunch more snow once above that 2-2.5kft elevation. 

BBA31512-9B83-4C72-A289-9879E45DB7A3.jpeg.c80a58c9b0179b71fea480eb4cc6b77a.jpeg

• Like 1