• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

Started looking like winter after 2.5" of dense snow this morning... about half fell before 6am and half between 6-9am.

It was heavy dense snow, almost sand-like with mixed precipitation mixed in.  Made a huge difference in ski conditions....had to be a good shot of liquid, maybe 0.25-0.3" as I bet it was under 10:1 ratios.

Jan_15_High_Road.jpg.3e997d24a671470711091b9df4a8c716.jpg

IMG_5425.thumb.JPG.336755ddcdb103c3a7ce8badab92d203.JPG

83049386_10104002230933990_7737454248840

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Started looking like winter after 2.5" of dense snow this morning... about half fell before 6am and half between 6-9am.

It was heavy dense snow, almost sand-like with mixed precipitation mixed in.  Made a huge difference in ski conditions....had to be a good shot of liquid, maybe 0.25-0.3" as I bet it was under 10:1 ratios.

That’s great to hear – these first couple of systems were expected to be the smaller ones, so getting a dense accumulation like that is kind of a bonus, and perfect to have below whatever comes from these next events.

Event totals: 2.8” Snow/0.22” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.22 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.7

Snow Density: 7.9% H2O

Temperature: 31.3 F

Sky: Snow (3 to 15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

Snowfall started up at the house last night sometime after 10:00 P.M., and I found 2.8” on the boards this morning at observations time amidst fairly vigorous snowfall.  I see from our webcam that we’ve had at least another couple of inches since then.

Event totals: 7.0” Snow/0.50” L.E.

Details from the 4:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 4.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.28 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 15.0

Snow Density: 6.7% H2O

Temperature: 27.5 F

Sky: Snow (5 to 10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 8.0 inches

The roads in Burlington were really in good shape when I left today, they were just wet and no snow was falling.  That was the situation all the way through to Richmond, but changed as got onto Route 2.  Clear tire tracks of pavement were available for a while, and then snow started picking up as I got to Bolton.  By the time I got up to the house, snowfall had intensified to the point that visibility was down to about ¼ mile.  The snowfall has been coming in pulses and bands as the radar shows:

16JAN20A.gif

This is the storm that keeps giving.  6 inches by 10 am here in Waterbury Center several hour lull and then 3 more in the last 2 hours.  About 8 inches of depth.  Looks like the snow isn't making over the spine as much anymore but the western slopes sill getting pounded for those super lucky special magic reasons.

WUNIDS_map.gif

26 minutes ago, dmcginvt said:

This is the storm that keeps giving.  6 inches by 10 am here in Waterbury Center several hour lull and then 3 more in the last 2 hours.  About 8 inches of depth.  Looks like the snow isn't making over the spine as much anymore but the western slopes sill getting pounded for those super lucky special magic reasons.

WUNIDS_map.gif

See that streamer shooting straight down past where 89 makes a sharp south turn? That’s been over my house. We must have close to 2” more since I snowblowed the driveway between 4:00 and 5:00. 

24 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Wonder if someone in the Underhill/JSpin corridor squeezes out a 12" from this?

We’re just passing 11” now, so that’s certainly a possibility.  My next analysis is at 10:00 P.M. so we’ll see where we are at that point.  With the snow on the back side of this storm it’s actually become that largest we’ve seen here this season, moving ahead of the 8.4” storm back on December 6th.

• Thanks 1

We were at a school meeting tonight and I got a text alert of an updated Winter Weather Advisory for our area.  The BTV NWS talks about it in their discussion:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT/...

As of 649 PM EST Thursday...Have issued winter wx advisory for the western slopes and mountains of central/northern VT, including the NEK thru 05z as crnt headline was expiring at 7 PM. Thinking the combination of additional snowfall of 2 to 4 inches and very strong/gusty winds will produce areas of blowing/drifting of snow, along with continued poor traveling conditions. Have received several reports of near white conditions across north/central VT this evening, so advisory looks reasonable.

16JAN20A.jpg

16JAN20B.jpg

46 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Wonder if someone in the Underhill/JSpin corridor squeezes out a 12" from this?

I bet they can for sure.

There's another 2" of just absolute fluff here since 4pm....up at 7.5" here and the narrow band that has been crushing Mansfield this evening is moving back north.

Jan_16_9pmComposite.gif.235a612cd74fc4c61c7df148c87812e2.gif

5 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

We were at a school meeting tonight and I got a text alert of an updated Winter Weather Advisory for our area.  The BTV NWS talks about it in their discussion:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT/...

As of 649 PM EST Thursday...Have issued winter wx advisory for the western slopes and mountains of central/northern VT, including the NEK thru 05z as crnt headline was expiring at 7 PM. Thinking the combination of additional snowfall of 2 to 4 inches and very strong/gusty winds will produce areas of blowing/drifting of snow, along with continued poor traveling conditions. Have received several reports of near white conditions across north/central VT this evening, so advisory looks reasonable.

16JAN20A.jpg

16JAN20B.jpg

That <1” for my area has busted badly already. I think I’m near 2” since 5:00 and it’s still going

10 minutes ago, mreaves said:

That <1” for my area has busted badly already. I think I’m near 2” since 5:00 and it’s still going

Always nice when those skinny bands sit over your house.:)

6.8" here final most likely, twice has much I was thinking originally.  Although I just ran into town and seemed to be around 3-3.5" on ground and seemed to rain at some point as there was a dense crust in the middle.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

6.8" here final most likely, twice has much I was thinking originally.  Although I just ran into town and seemed to be around 3-3.5" on ground and seemed to rain at some point as there was a dense crust in the middle.

Good event region wide in NNE it seems...cool B)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

It is. It happens once or twice a year and is usually good for a few unexpected extra inches. In 2007 we had some sort of lake effect streamer that absolutely pounded us with about 10”. A couple miles either direction had less than half that. We then got an MLK Day sleet bomb that sort of limped is along to the great VDay storm and a string of big snows through most of March. Town meeting day storm, St.Patricks Day storm were all 12”-20” if memory serves me. 

48 minutes ago, mreaves said:

It is. It happens once or twice a year and is usually good for a few unexpected extra inches. In 2007 we had some sort of lake effect streamer that absolutely pounded us with about 10”. A couple miles either direction had less than half that. We then got an MLK Day sleet bomb that sort of limped is along to the great VDay storm and a string of big snows through most of March. Town meeting day storm, St.Patricks Day storm were all 12”-20” if memory serves me. 

2007 was epic, worst winter ever, until late Jan and the Vday happened to this day my penultimate experience.  38" of joy.  And it snowed for the next 2 months like it was going out of style.  The company I work for used to have a ski day every year for the owners bday on March 18th, but for some reason that yr it was April 5th and with the base we had from the previous 2 months and the heavy snow that day (that wasn't wet it was like January that day) it was just absolutely unreal. There was so much snow there was no boulder on the lower narrow section of  goat, it was like a little mogul on gulch.  Makes me think of 2005 too which was no slouch in extreme snow and not the nickel and dime we usually get (which I'm not complaining about simply acknowledging that's how we typically get our snow).  Sigh, I'm just loving the snow and pontificating about old snow and speaking parenthetically way too much.  I digress.  Looking forward to more this weekend even if lacks the original hype, more is just cake at this point.  I'm not greedy likes those sne'ers

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Good event region wide in NNE it seems...cool B)

5.3" at my place, a bit more than I'd expected.  Maine bullseye was Cumberland County just inland, a number of double digit reports topped by 14.2" in Standish, south side of Sebago.  (LES?  The lake is almost totally ice free.  :lol:)

I’ve got the latest maps from the BTV NWS for upcoming Winter Storm Jacob.  The point forecast here has seen a bit of a bump with the latest update, suggesting 6-12” through tomorrow night.  We’re in the 6-8” shading on the projected accumulations map, although there is some 8-12” shading nearby as well that covers the higher elevations around here.

18JAN20A.jpg

18JAN20B.jpg