• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

Nice nippy January day.   Mid teens look to be the high for me.  Waiting on Euro to see ice potential for later this weekend..

I'm still excited about Brian's squall last night.  A few hours with bursts of squalls to give 7" is to be remembered.  

Happy Birthday Scott

Alex, thanks for fixing your cam.  Perfect view of the summit of Mt Washington

Diane, next time I'll make sure you are working before I visit

PS  You can tell I don't like handles.   Jeez,  this isn't a political forum.  We all get along up here  

Alex.jpg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, alex said:

Some nice moderate snow falling; probably looking to say goodbye to our snowpack :lol:

I bet you don't loose your pack.  You go above 40F for 36 hours and probably never hit 50F.   Storms lined up for next week.  You'll be fine.  I doubt I loose my pack either but hopefully a few bare patches for my herd of deer

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I bet you don't loose your pack.  You go above 40F for 36 hours and probably never hit 50F.   Storms lined up for next week.  You'll be fine.  I doubt I loose my pack either but hopefully a few bare patches for my herd of deer

Probably not completely - pack is at 12" and the bottom layer has survived it's fair share of cutters, but it won't be pretty. That said, if things worked out the way the 12Z GFS has them I couldn't care less about the current snowpack - ready for snowpack-V2 :)

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.02” L.E.

Details from the 2:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.7 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 8.0 inches

As of 2:00 P.M. we’d picked up 0.2” of frozen precipitation on the front end of Winter Storm Isaiah as it moves into the area.  The accumulation on the snowboards seemed like a mixture of sleet, graupel, and a touch of freezing rain.

24 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

40s in The Woods...do we hit 50s? Could be!

I take the over. Forecast is 51 and we often go over those forecasts. 

Didn't warm up as fast as the forecast had it though, hovered around freezing till about 6 am. It was interesting when I woke up to see how much dripping was happening at 37 degrees because of the high dewpoint. Out West 37 degrees is pure powder lol

• Like 1

10ply tarp, usually get 3 seasons before I succumb to holes

Brackets, from nicerink.com

1/4” plywood cut for board height. I need 18” on the far side and 10” on the near side

2hp water pump

We tried to skate the pond for a couple winters but it was to inconsistent with water level. The tarp also makes the thaws   more bearable as it is a bonus resurfacing:)

This is from a while ago, it is worth the time off you have the inclination

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 7:59 AM, J.Spin said:

I cored the snowpack for our site as part of this morning’s CoCoRaHS analysis – snowpack water content here is 1.73” ahead of this next system.

Precipitation associated with Winter Storm Isaiah seems to have ended, and temperatures are back below freezing, so I cored the pack to see where it’s at on the back side of this storm.  The core revealed 0.51” of water, so the liquid in the pack dropped by roughly 1.2” with this system.  This system wasn’t a net gain to the snowpack water equivalent down at this elevation, but there is definitely a more substantial base in place relative to what was left after the previous thaw back in mid-December.

8 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Precipitation associated with Winter Storm Isaiah seems to have ended, and temperatures are back below freezing, so I cored the pack to see where it’s at on the back side of this storm.  The core revealed 0.51” of water, so the liquid in the pack dropped by roughly 1.2” with this system.  This system wasn’t a net gain to the snowpack water equivalent down at this elevation, but there is definitely a more substantial base in place relative to what was left after the previous thaw back in mid-December.

This one was an epic annihilation of the snow pack in The Woods. It kinda breaks my heart. So many bare spots on the mountain. All snow in town is gone except for snow banks...it sorta feels like the end of April but we are barely up to Mid Jan. 

55 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

This one was an epic annihilation of the snow pack in The Woods. It kinda breaks my heart. So many bare spots on the mountain. All snow in town is gone except for snow banks...it sorta feels like the end of April but we are barely up to Mid Jan. 

This was quite the thaw.  Pretty high end but not quite to levels like in Jan 2008 and or Jan 96.  I think the summits saw the worst of it.  The valleys drained low level cold in last night near freezing...but up at 3000ft+ it was 45-50F all last night with 1-1.5” rainfall across the Spine here.  

The Mansfield Stake is down to 18” of pack.  It has the slickness of pond ice and the durability of a concrete foundation.  

Last year we hit 100” of depth in January for comparison.

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This was quite the thaw.  Pretty high end but not quite to levels like in Jan 2008 and or Jan 96.  I think the summits saw the worst of it.  The valleys drained low level cold in last night near freezing...but up at 3000ft+ it was 45-50F all last night with 1-1.5” rainfall across the Spine here.  

The Mansfield Stake is down to 18” of pack.  It has the slickness of pond ice and the durability of a concrete foundation.  

Last year we hit 100” of depth in January for comparison.

We spent the entire night in the 50s and even 60+. Pretty amazing stuff - we are usually in the mid 40s even in the summer. It was also interesting to see today how the entire elevated area around us was in the 50s while everyone else was slipping into the 30s. As you said, elevation stood up like islands above a colder layer. Pretty fascinating. 

19DB8447-0033-4107-95B5-9C1785A83080.jpeg