• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

With the improvement in conditions thanks to these past couple of storms, we hit the mountain for a bit of skiing around New Year’s, so I’ll pass along some Bolton Valley conditions and pics.  The additional snow that came on the 1st is when the resort really starting opening up natural snow terrain.  On Tuesday, snowpack in mid to upper elevations offered about 4 inches of powder atop a thicker layer/crust, and then there was another roughly 4 inches of dense snow below that, and then you got to the base snow.  By Wednesday that topmost layer of powder was generally 6 inches plus, so the powder skiing off piste was definitely improving.  There’s still not enough snow to open more than moderately-pitched natural snow terrain, but another storm or two without any major warm storms will obviously get terrain expansion going.  There is a decent amount of natural snow terrain that’s set for powder skiing and should be great with additional accumulations:

31DEC19A.jpg

01JAN20C.jpg

31DEC19B.jpg

01JAN20E.jpg

01JAN20G.jpg

31DEC19C.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hitman said:

First flakes just started.  32f in the valley.

Snow started up here in the Waterbury area around 10:00 A.M. – it’s still fairly light at this point, but I’m seeing some of those larger flakes you mentioned and we’re starting to get a bit of accumulation down here at 500’.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The Sugarbush web cams looked real nice this afternoon.  I think SB jackpotted today.  We are up to 3” at high elevations but only 1-2” down around the base area.

Yeah, I don’t know.  They reported 4” at 4pm and the cams both have 4”.  I’m eyeballing 3” down in the valley.  We’ll see tomorrow morning.

4ED72AFF-2E41-4A86-A619-53466A12C0E2.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Hitman said:

Yeah, I don’t know.  They reported 4” at 4pm and the cams both have 4”.  I’m eyeballing 3” down in the valley.  We’ll see tomorrow morning.

4ED72AFF-2E41-4A86-A619-53466A12C0E2.jpeg

The radar certainly supported Sugarbush getting more today.  Overnight it could dry out and the northern spots may catch up with upslope on half the liquid.  

I do think SB/MRG got the best QPF.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Pretty good upslope flow going on this morning.  Moisture getting wrung out rather efficiently right now.  Big wind blow flakes at the mountain.

Yeah, there’s some nice efficient production of flakes and you can really see it banking up against the spine:

05JAN20A.gif

We’ve had about another inch or so here at the house, and it’s stacking up nicely with minimal wind, so I’m sure the next analysis will come in with a pretty high snow to water ratio.  Wind was picking up in more exposed areas when we were in town though, and the Vista Quad is currently on wind hold up at Bolton Valley.

Event totals: 3.9” Snow/0.31” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 20.7 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 6.0 inches

The snowfall had tapered off quite a bit and it looked like this would be the last round of accumulation for this event, but it’s picked back up this evening so there will be at least a bit more to report.

Event totals: 4.3” Snow/0.31” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 12.6 F

Sky: Mostly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 5.5 inches

We picked up a final round of super dry snow last night, and that should mark the end of Winter Storm Henry.

The next system in line is quickly moving into the area though, with snow expected to start later this morning and roughly 1-3” of accumulation expected down at our elevation and more at elevation:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

639 AM EST Mon Jan 6 2020

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY/...

As of 320 AM EST Monday...Cloud cover is overspreading the North Country this morning in advance of an occluded front. This front is expected to bring snowfall to much of the region with northern New York and the spine of the Green Mountains expected to see decent snow accumulations through Tuesday morning. Models continue to remaining good agreement with snow totals generally 2-4 inches across northern New York, 1-3 inches across Vermont and 3-6 inches across the higher summits of the Green Mountains.