Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

Just now, borderwx said:

Fingers crossed for tomorrow, a few inches of fluff on this will ski well

Indeed, we’ve had ¾” of liquid put down into the snowpack so far here in the valley, so that’s a solid resurfacing above the old base.  Apropos on that note, right in line with the forecast it’s just switched back over to snow down here at 500’ in the valley, with huge flakes pouring down.  Hopefully the mountains can catch a solid topping over all the dense stuff we’ve been getting.

It has been pouring beach sand on and off all day. I'm pretty impressed, we have a decent accumulation. It is worse to drive in than snow. Closer to Alex and the ski area there is a snow component mixed in. Where I am it has been more sleet. The wind has been surprisingly intense. I'm interested in how the entire evolution will play out.

Event totals: 5.2” Snow/0.85” L.E.

We had light snow/flurries much of the day today, but temperatures also crept above freezing here in the valley, so accumulation was slow.  The above totals should be the final numbers for Winter Storm Gage, and anything we get tonight I’ll roll into the next system that is currently moving in from the west.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 31.6 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 4.0 inches

13 minutes ago, tamarack said:

0.2"  on the board this morning.  Trees still loaded from yesterday's 7" but forecast winds later today should empty everything more than 20' from the ground.

I was just looking up New Sharon Maine, trying to get a feel on where the NNE posters are.  I think you might be the furthest north of everyone.   Alex and Pfreak are slightly south of due west of you.

28 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I was just looking up New Sharon Maine, trying to get a feel on where the NNE posters are.  I think you might be the furthest north of everyone.   Alex and Pfreak are slightly south of due west of you.

Sadly true - I'm at approx. 44.66 N.  Don't know exactly where PF's and Alex's homes are, but using 1.2 miles per (latitude) minute, I'd guess I'm 10-15 miles N of PF, maybe twice that far N of Alex.  We used to have posters from Aroostook and more recently one from the BGR area.  By far the biggest geographical hole in the New England sub-forum is the northern 2/3 of Maine.  That's about 30% of NE's area though probably less than 3% of the population.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Sadly true - I'm at approx. 44.66 N.  Don't know exactly where PF's and Alex's homes are, but using 1.2 miles per (latitude) minute, I'd guess I'm 10-15 miles N of PF, maybe twice that far N of Alex.  We used to have posters from Aroostook and more recently one from the BGR area.  By far the biggest geographical hole in the New England sub-forum is the northern 2/3 of Maine.  That's about 30% of NE's area though probably less than 3% of the population.

I’m 44.15N. A little south of PF and JSpin. 

41 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I’m 44.15N. A little south of PF and JSpin. 

I like my location as far as the boards go because I'm 17 miles north north west of Brian and 600 to 700 feet higher.  Many people are saying Congrads Dendrite so I can take their posts and his forecast and know that usually I'll score a tick or 2 better.

16 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I like my location as far as the boards go because I'm 17 miles north north west of Brian and 600 to 700 feet higher.  Many people are saying Congrads Dendrite so I can take their posts and his forecast and know that usually I'll score a tick or 2 better.

I'm about 42 miles north of Jeff and at 390' a bit higher, and 57 miles NNE of (though 300+ lower than) Lava Rock.  No elevational help here and longitude can be good or bad depending on track, but topography makes the Maine foothills perhaps the CAD kings of New England.

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I’m surprised nobody brought up borderwx in terms of northerly location; his latitude has got to be close to 45° North.  There’s also someone in the Plattsburg area now who indicated he was pretty far north, and don’t we have someone in St. Albans as well?  We’re at 44.36° North here in Waterbury.

6 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Is he also our farthest east poster? 

Narrowly beats James and ACKwaves

Interesting cycle we are in. Yard had 8+ now, a steady shower of alternating snow, sleet, freezing rain, Graupel, one blue patch, all congealing to make another 2” since last night. Coldest has been 27 up to 38 pending what the clouds are bringing.

dense pack, can almost feel it turning to ice:)

I’m at 44.96 but not really a regular