Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Idiots are out on Newfound Lake walking on very thin ice.  I took the drone up yesterday.  Lake just skimmed over a few nights ago but days have been above freezing with nights in the upper 20's.  This really puts first responders at risk.  New snow will cover this thin ice tonight making things very dangerous all week without any arctic blast to follow.

Drone video over Newfound that I took Sat PM

I know what Darwin would say...

35 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Are you feeling better?

Today was better, thanks! Last night was rough. I kept having these weird dreams and I was uncomfortable even when I was sleeping. I finally started to sleep decently at 4am but my alarm goes off at 7am. Been keeping up with the advil. 

Event totals: 1.2” Snow/0.14” L.E.

The precipitation here has generally been snow, but I did see some more granular flakes/sleet out there at one point that probably bumped up the density of the accumulation a bit.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.14 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.6

Snow Density: 11.7% H2O

Temperature: 30.0 F

Sky: Snow (2 to 15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

Event totals: 3.2” Snow/0.65” L.E.

The precipitation has been mostly sleet this morning, although there was some glaze in there as well that indicates we had some freezing rain overnight.  More recently, snow has been mixing back into the precipitation as well.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.26 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.7

Snow Density: 37.1% H2O

Temperature: 30.4 F

Sky: Sleet/Snow (5 to 15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.5 inches

19 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 3.2” Snow/0.65” L.E.

The precipitation has been mostly sleet this morning, although there was some glaze in there as well that indicates we had some freezing rain overnight.  More recently, snow has been mixing back into the precipitation as well.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.26 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.7

Snow Density: 37.1% H2O

Temperature: 30.4 F

Sky: Sleet/Snow (5 to 15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.5 inches

Driving back from S. Burlington, hopefully 89 hasn't gotten any worse. 

Just now, mreaves said:

Driving back from S. Burlington, hopefully 89 hasn't gotten any worse. 

As long as it’s been treated I don’t think it should be too bad in this area – precipitation isn’t all that heavy right now (some sleet with occasional flakes) and temperatures aren’t overly cold.

51 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

As long as it’s been treated I don’t think it should be too bad in this area – precipitation isn’t all that heavy right now (some sleet with occasional flakes) and temperatures aren’t overly cold.

Just got back to the office.  89 was crap, getting slushy.  The car thermo read 31° and was down to 27° on the way back.  It was ok if you drove reasonably and shockingly, everyone seemed to be doing that.

This has turned into a high end SE/E  flow wind event here, honestly one of the strongest I've seen.  Has to be some gusts to 60mph(maybe higher :weenie:) along the immediate western slopes.   I saw 3 healthy looking snapped pine trees on one road. One of them snapped as I was driving by within 10-15 feet of my car, pretty scary stuff, and landed in someones yard.  East side of town is littered with debris.

This was about half a mile from where the tree missed my car. This little cabin got lucky, missed this 60 ft pine falling on the house by about 5-10 ft. No ice damage here.  All wind. Its so localized too that even the western side of town when I was over there today was gusting to like 15mph.

702069656_treedown123019.thumb.jpg.fb53830b3056dc7d5281d28a769155eb.jpg

Any update on Stowe or Jay by chance would be greatly appreciated. Have they been mostly snow or are the getting the mix bag?

Was thinking of making the hike up from VA but wanted to check with the local knowledge first. Thinking the upslope looks palatable perhaps through Thursday.

Thanks guys... congrats on the snow (or frozen, at least)

Event totals: 3.6” Snow/0.75” L.E.

There was another period of light freezing rain around here in the midafternoon period, and then the precipitation changed back to sleet.  More recently we’re starting to get some snow in the mix as well, and the forecast indicates that precipitation is supposed to change fully back over to snow this evening.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 4.0

Snow Density: 25.0% H2O

Temperature: 28.9 F

Sky: Light Snow/Sleet

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches