Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

28.9F

Tough to post in the other thread. Nice to see a little more juice to the north on the euro for Tuesday. Hopefully we can cover the blades down here.

Ha, Mother Nature has given SNE the winter taste after last season, and that won't be satiated for quite a while.  But good for them, they had it really rough last year while we were piling up feet in the hills.

I'm glad we put down almost 2" in squalls at home today... grass covered again and looks like winter with blowing snow, comes with the benefit of very little shoveling too.  It's always odd to me that I check the models all the time on little events like Tuesday but then you get some squalls and it delivers probably more snow than the highly tracked event. 

Regarding Tuesday... certainly not feeling all warm and fuzzy, the convective looking stuff after that event though might be interesting. 

52 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 1.9” Snow/0.79” L.E.

The initial small accumulation of snow from early today melted back down, but eventually as temperatures dropped and the snowfall picked up, accumulations happened quickly.  There were some intense periods of snow as darkness approached, and it really played havoc with the roads.  I headed out to a Christmas party this evening and was lucky I was using Route 2 and timed it such that they’d just put down brine to quickly take care of the flash freeze.  I-89 is still all backed up in various places though with what looks like a number of accidents, and I’m sure it’s been frustrating for folks who have been stuck in that traffic.

In Stowe alone, RT 108 closed due to accidents at Harlow Hill just by the XC Center at the ski area.... took folks leaving the mountain almost an hour at 4pm to get out as Stowe PD shut the road down until it could be plowed/salted.  Apparently it was so slick you could barely walk on the pavement near the cars that ended up into the guardrail there.  Barrows Road was also closed for a bit near the High School due to an accident and RT 100 was shut down for a time by Gregg Hill Rd near that wood carving place.

A friend who left the mountain at 5:45pm just got home to Burlington at 8:30pm.  Said I-89 was a pure skating rink with snow on top of it and every highway board was just flashing "CRASHES DRIVE WITH CAUTION".... 5-15mph the whole way from Waterbury to Burlington with occasional periods of full stoppage.  There's a FB video I saw of folks getting out of their cars to stretch, and then sliding on the black ice even standing there.

High impact event.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

LOL. You know you’re salivating to rub it into Kevin when he pings after 1.5”.

I don’t really want to remove 12ft of snow, but another dumbfounding 07-08 would be enjoyable.

I actually am happy when everyone gets snow...even him. But it’s tough to have legit weather discussion when the correctional vector always points toward Robin Circle.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I don’t really want to remove 12ft of snow, but another dumbfounding 07-08 would be enjoyable.

I actually am happy when everyone gets snow...even him. But it’s tough to have legit weather discussion when the correctional vector always points toward Robin Circle.

Well he has his December to Remember to protect. :lol: 

Good grief... on a Sunday evening none-the-less.  What the hell happened on 89 in the western BTV suburbs.

VSP HAZARDOUS TRAVEL ALERT:

Travel remains treacherous due to snow and ice on Interstate 89, especially along the corridor between Richmond (exit 11) and Burlington (exit 14), although hazardous conditions persist along much of the highway and secondary roads. Traffic is reported to be stopped both northbound and southbound from exit 11-14, with as many as 30 or more slide-offs and other crashes.

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

In Stowe alone, RT 108 closed due to accidents at Harlow Hill just by the XC Center at the ski area.... took folks leaving the mountain almost an hour at 4pm to get out as Stowe PD shut the road down until it could be plowed/salted.  Apparently it was so slick you could barely walk on the pavement near the cars that ended up into the guardrail there.  Barrows Road was also closed for a bit near the High School due to an accident and RT 100 was shut down for a time by Gregg Hill Rd near that wood carving place.

A friend who left the mountain at 5:45pm just got home to Burlington at 8:30pm.  Said I-89 was a pure skating rink with snow on top of it and every highway board was just flashing "CRASHES DRIVE WITH CAUTION".... 5-15mph the whole way from Waterbury to Burlington with occasional periods of full stoppage.  There's a FB video I saw of folks getting out of their cars to stretch, and then sliding on the black ice even standing there.

High impact event.

I am sure it was a blast driving up the hill before descending into Williston. Anyway that is when you just go back to the lodge for a few more rounds ;)

That is pretty nuts what was going on up in NVT last night.  We had some squalls here and roads were snow covered on my way to Stratton yesterday, but nothing more than a few tenths it looked like...maybe 1/2" at best. Nothing at home, just barely a dusting.

Event tomorrow looks pretty meh.  OceanSt and also ALY mentioning pretty poor snow growth, coupled with the fact the most qpf is south.   Taking the under on ALYs forecast of 4" here.

Just reading up on the thread as to what happened last evening.  Had know idea.  We did have a moderate snow squall that whitened the ground and blew around.  Every once in a while a streamer gets across the Greens on a west flow.

Hoping for a few inches tomorrow.  Frost will get deep in the ground without a protective coat of white.

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It's always odd to me that I check the models all the time on little events like Tuesday but then you get some squalls and it delivers probably more snow than the highly tracked event. 

Regarding Tuesday... certainly not feeling all warm and fuzzy, the convective looking stuff after that event though might be interesting. 

I was just taking a peek at the models, and with respect to subsequent events the next week or so has a potentially nice look.  We’re really going to need multiple rounds to get surface conditions back to something respectable, but on top of last night’s back side squalls, there’s:

·         Tuesday system (Winter Storm Finley)

·         Wednesday’s cold front/squalls

·         Sunday

·         Mid next week?

Of course those latter potential events are well up in the air, but much of what’s shown is bread and butter northern stream flow, which is typically much more reliable.  At face value all these events would be forecast as “light” snow, which is prudent, but we know what can and often does happen when they hit the mountains.  I guess we’ll see how it goes, but in many ways it would be nice to just have these things deliver ahead of the holiday week vs. some potentially larger storm screwing things up.

I just checked my numbers, and average snowfall through the 15th of December at our site is 30 inches, so even with the ups and downs, we’re still a few inches ahead on seasonal snowfall.  In terms of monthly snowfall, we’re just about on track as well with 17 inches.  So despite the lackluster conditions at the moment, there hasn’t really been a big snowfall issue.  These past couple of warm storms have been what’s really knocked down conditions.  Using my data, the snowpack depth sort of shows that – it’s only about an inch or so at the house, whereas the average for this date is in the 6 to 8-inch range.

Hopefully we’ll get some of that…

Bread&Butter.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dendrite said:

Hasn't been in the cards so far for more wintry weather up here, Your area and mine kind of gets lumped into NNE which i consider more into CNE, But some think we all live in VT and had a record year last year and was off to a great start this season which is not the case, We have been up and down over the past several seasons though and really can't complain.

25 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Pretty big bump in the short term for the king on the clowns.

Yeah, we’ll have to see what the NWS offices think when they make their afternoon updates.  Actually, when I looked at some of the midday model runs I saw a lot of guidance showing a level of overall northward movement, but I’m going to assume that’s not quite a main topic of conversation in the storm thread.

5 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, we’ll have to see what the NWS offices think when they make their afternoon updates.  Actually, when I looked at some of the midday model runs I saw a lot of guidance showing a level of overall northward movement, but I’m going to assume that’s not quite a main topic of conversation in the storm thread.

Its not about us up here in there lol, That's why i posted it in here, The models have been moving more north with the whole system, I thought the GFS has done a good job so far on this, Wouldn't mind seeing a couple more tics north either over the next couple runs and overnight as we get closer, Right now, Barring us not getting the next weekend event up here, This month will go down well below normal for snowfall.

10 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Bread and butter on Wednesday evening.  

This is obscene at BTV during rush hour.  

Snow growth smack in some insane lift as that arctic shortwave moves through...that has another evening of absolute mayhem on I-89 written all over it. 

4D177F7D-6228-4755-9733-F5CE445AE71C.thumb.jpeg.81bc456ab72be727745f61d349d28682.jpeg

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Bread and butter on Wednesday evening.  

This is obscene at BTV during rush hour.  

Snow growth smack in some insane lift as that arctic shortwave moves through...that has another evening of absolute mayhem on I-89 written all over it. 

Simulated reflectivity looks like a summer squall line. 

Tomorrow later afternoon looks very interesting for upslope areas.  Zooming in on Alex's area my snow products are showing over 6-9" in squalls.  I would guess the shoot would want snow coming down but with the arctic front it looks like near blizzard conditions later in the day

• Like 1