• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

Totally random question--but whats up with BTV going 73 years without reaching 100" between 1892-1965? Siting issue or measuring techniques? I mean they only made it  to 90" twice during that whole span.  Doesn't seem possible.  

From 1965 to current (54 years) they hit 100" 10 times and 90" 12 times. I guess that's why people talk about historical records not being homogeneous.

https://www.weather.gov/btv/historicalSnow

43 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Totally random question--but whats up with BTV going 73 years without reaching 100" between 1892-1965? Siting issue or measuring techniques? I mean they only made it  to 90" twice during that whole span.  Doesn't seem possible.  

From 1965 to current (54 years) they hit 100" 10 times and 90" 12 times. I guess that's why people talk about historical records not being homogeneous.

https://www.weather.gov/btv/historicalSnow

From discussions here and elsewhere, I recall that at points in the past, observations were made right in Burlington proper, closer to the lake, vs. where they are now out by the airport a few more miles inland.  There’s certainly less snow accumulation (at least in the fall and early winter when the lake is warm) right down by the lake front, so that’s a possible contributor.  I’m not sure when the location change happened, but PF might have some insight into it.

21 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

From discussions here and elsewhere, I recall that at points in the past, observations were made right in Burlington proper, closer to the lake, vs. where they are now out by the airport a few more miles inland.  There’s certainly less snow accumulation (at least in the fall and early winter when the lake is warm) right down by the lake front, so that’s a possible contributor.  I’m not sure when the location change happened, but PF might have some insight into it.

Yea I know the BTV temp thing is talked about a lot by PF and recall people talking about site changes. That makes sense being that close to the warm lake could cut down early in the season with accumulations.  But only 2 times above 90" in 70+ years?  Who knows what really was happening back in the days of yore.  Maybe it really was a long, long  long relatively non snowy period..lol.  Most likely there is some other explanation. 

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.01” L.E.

As of 6:00 P.M. observations we’d picked up a couple tenths of an inch of snow from the front end of the current system.  Since then there’s been a bit more snow as well as some sleet and mist.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 34.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (2 to 10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

11 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea I know the BTV temp thing is talked about a lot by PF and recall people talking about site changes. That makes sense being that close to the warm lake could cut down early in the season with accumulations.  But only 2 times above 90" in 70+ years?  Who knows what really was happening back in the days of yore.  Maybe it really was a long, long  long relatively non snowy period..lol.  Most likely there is some other explanation. 

I don't know when the site changed but the airport location is definitely a snowier spot than lake front.  I know the 60s and 70s were snowier, along with recently in the 2000s... big storm frequency is also up.  It would be interesting to compare various sites around New England.

14 minutes ago, alex said:

Downsloping??? I wish, at least it'd be dry. It's raining from Florida to the St Lawrence. That'd be one big area of downslope!!! :)

More worried about downsloping on Tue/Wed but we'll see. December to remember my a$$

I meant in the fact that the temps were up a bit at that that time. I think when she posted that last night the temps were in the mid 30s with rain while dendrite and Gene were in the upper 20s to around 30F even though they are south  of you and remember Gene posting even a little snow obs. There seemed to be some downsloping  and compressional warming going on near you guys even with the precip. Downsloping doesn't always mean dry with no precip(obviously there will be less), I downslope here and still get a good amount of precip during some events gusting to 40-50mph at times.

At that same time it was 36F here and gusty on the western slopes and 30F on some east slope spots last night I'm SVT.

But, yes everyone is raining up through Canada for most of this event. I guess the downsloping post didnt make sense without context:)

6 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I meant in the fact that the temps were up a bit at that that time. I think when she posted that last night the temps were in the mid 30s with rain while dendrite and Gene were in the upper 20s to around 30F even though they are south  of you and remember Gene posting even a little snow obs. There seemed to be some downsloping  and compressional warming going on near you guys even with the precip. Downsloping doesn't always mean dry with no precip(obviously there will be less), I downslope here and still get a good amount of precip during some events gusting to 40-50mph at times.

At that same time it was 36F here and gusty on the western slopes and 30F on some east slope spots last night I'm SVT.

But, yes everyone is raining up through Canada for most of this event. I guess the downsloping post didnt make sense without context:)

Ah! Yes that makes sense :)

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.44” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 34.9 F

Sky: Rain

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

After 6:00 P.M. observations yesterday, we had a bit more snow, the some sleet, and the precipitation has been rain since then.  The forecast indicates that precipitation heads back to snow tonight into tomorrow on the back side of the system:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

730 AM EST Sat Dec 14 2019

.SYNOPSIS...

Tonight rain will change to snow showers with snow accumulations of 2 to 5 inches likely from northern New York into parts of northern Vermont by Sunday afternoon.

43F  Moderate drizzle and  light rain.  1.78" stratus so far

Last evening will be remembered as one of the worst commutes in a long time.  Total s..tshow.  NWS put up a winter weather advisory I believe late morning or certainly by afternoon but the state seemed totally unprepared in the Lakes Region.  Maybe because this was advertised as a big rainstorm in all areas.

Light snow grains and a bit of light snow started here mid day.  All afternoon we had snow grains that left a slight coating.  Temps in the mid to upper 20's.  Heavier freezing rain began later in the day and the roads became skating rinks.  I think it was because the previous rainstorm washed away any residual salt/sand.  Also the ground was very cold.  So everything including Rt 93 from about Exit 20 on up through this area of Exit 26 was ice covered.  90 minute commute from a friend for 25 miles with many, many accidents on Rt 93 and all the state roads around here.  Temperatures went above freezing by midnight.

When warm air comes from above it really takes a long time to scour out at low levels, especially with light winds.  

NNE snowcover seems decimated. Now we can look forward to a system on Monday night.  I am worried it will be so weak it will trend south and leave NNE out of anything meaningful. Maybe a few inches to whiten things back up.  There is very little snowfall left in my area.  I don't see any storms after that for awhile, just some weak systems.  Ski resorts like Tenney without snow making are going to really hurt.  Upslope fluff will not be enough. 

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

43F  Moderate drizzle and  light rain.  1.78" stratus so far

Last evening will be remembered as one of the worst commutes in a long time.  Total s..tshow.  NWS put up a winter weather advisory I believe late morning or certainly by afternoon but the state seemed totally unprepared in the Lakes Region.  Maybe because this was advertised as a big rainstorm in all areas.

Light snow grains and a bit of light snow started here mid day.  All afternoon we had snow grains that left a slight coating.  Temps in the mid to upper 20's.  Heavier freezing rain began later in the day and the roads became skating rinks.  I think it was because the previous rainstorm washed away any residual salt/sand.  Also the ground was very cold.  So everything including Rt 93 from about Exit 20 on up through this area of Exit 26 was ice covered.  90 minute commute from a friend for 25 miles with many, many accidents on Rt 93 and all the state roads around here.  Temperatures went above freezing by midnight.

When warm air comes from above it really takes a long time to scour out at low levels, especially with light winds.  

NNE snowcover seems decimated. Now we can look forward to a system on Monday night.  I am worried it will be so weak it will trend south and leave NNE out of anything meaningful. Maybe a few inches to whiten things back up.  There is very little snowfall left in my area.  I don't see any storms after that for awhile, just some weak systems.  Ski resorts like Tenney without snow making are going to really hurt.  Upslope fluff will not be enough. 

Yup...complete shitshow. Idk what NHDOT was doing. They have RWIS sites with road surface temp sensors and icing detectors. They should've been out there pretreating all afternoon. Dumb.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 9:33 AM, J.Spin said:

The forecast indicates that precipitation heads back to snow tonight into tomorrow on the back side of the system:

We’ve had flakes in the air at least since observations time this morning, but they’ve been very small and sparse.  And, temperatures were still well up into the 30s F, so there was no accumulation to report.  The skies did start to darken somewhat in the later morning, and around 11:30 A.M. the pace of the snowfall picked up to the point where we started to get some accumulation.  We’re still a bit above freezing down at this elevation, but temperatures are supposed to come down as we head into the afternoon.  The moisture from the west is certainly visible on the radar though:

15DEC19A.gif

36 minutes ago, alex said:

Upslope has been pretty limited so far... just some lights stuff, enough to whiten the ground but pretty pathetic. Kinda like December as a whole

The flow is from the west and not the northwest or north.  So my guess is the Greens are going to get accumulations as they go below freezing.  West flow is not nearly as good for you as northwest since that different lifts the air right into Bretton Woods and the mountains just to your south

6 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

The flow is from the west and not the northwest or north.  So my guess is the Greens are going to get accumulations as they go below freezing.  West flow is not nearly as good for you as northwest since that different lifts the air right into Bretton Woods and the mountains just to your south

I think you’re right, though we ended up get some really nice snows tonight - looks like a couple of inches. I’ll measure after the kids go to bed. it’s good for the heart to get rid of those lawn patches, 8 hours of bare ground in December is 8 hours too long!!!

Drove down to Concord today, it’s crazy how little snow cover there is in NNH. Patchy (at least before the upslope kicked in) north of the Notch, and literally nothing from Lincoln on south. Seems crazy for December 

Event totals: 1.9” Snow/0.79” L.E.

The initial small accumulation of snow from early today melted back down, but eventually as temperatures dropped and the snowfall picked up, accumulations happened quickly.  There were some intense periods of snow as darkness approached, and it really played havoc with the roads.  I headed out to a Christmas party this evening and was lucky I was using Route 2 and timed it such that they’d just put down brine to quickly take care of the flash freeze.  I-89 is still all backed up in various places though with what looks like a number of accidents, and I’m sure it’s been frustrating for folks who have been stuck in that traffic.

Details from the 7:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 21.4

Snow Density: 4.7% H2O

Temperature: 24.3 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 to 4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 1.5 inches