Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

35F and rain about to begin.

Seems like it's a very active pattern for NNE.   Warm and rain.  Then cold with some upslope.  Another storm this weekend that looks mixed.  Then early next week yet another storm.  So many changes.   All and all it doesn't look good for snow but if next weekends storm went further east perhaps enough cold air for frozen?  Too far away

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/Trace L.E.

I found a tenth of an inch of frozen on the boards this morning from the front end of this current system.  I put the inner cylinder back in the rain gauge based on the forecast for this next part of the storm, which should be above freezing until tomorrow.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 34.5 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 6.0 inches

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

This weather is horrific, that is my official opinion 

My prediction is that by 7pm tomorrow night it will be snowing up there.  No big deal but a touchup.

This weekend looks kind of interesting.  Noreaster coming up the coast.  Right now it looks more wet than white but just a slight shift to the SE might be enough for snow at the higher elevations.  Then after that yet another system next week.  Active pattern.

• Like 1

Since we’re back below freezing now, I went out to empty the rain gauge and return it to winter mode.  It had an additional 0.14” of liquid in it, so that puts the liquid at 0.31” for this event.

While I was outside I saw that some flakes we had earlier have turned into a steadier light snow now, with a couple of tenths of new accumulation down.  It looks like it’s from a band passing through the area that’s visible on radar:

10DEC19A.gif

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.31” L.E.

This most recent event has cleared out as of this morning.  I had debated putting last night’s snow into its own event with the way the BTV NWS spoke about it as a distinct dew point boundary, but it really did seem to be trailing moisture from the main system, so I’ve kept it all together.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 20.7 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

The next potential snow event in the pipe appears to be coming into the area this afternoon with low pressure and its attendant cold front moving over from Lake Superior.  There’s more substantial lake moisture anticipated to affect the Saint Lawrence Valley and Adirondacks, but some may make it over to the Northern Greens as well.

4 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

i may have killed winter when I bought a new sled in November. :( my bad.

Since you have already killed winter with your sled purchase, then obviously I should just go ahead and get a new one too.  Might as well get it during an already killed winter rather than risk killing it myself next season!  My wife will be thrilled when I tell I have to get a new one this year.

• Haha 2

Since you have already killed winter with your sled purchase, then obviously I should just go ahead and get a new one too.  Might as well get it during an already killed winter rather than risk killing it myself next season!  My wife will be thrilled when I tell I have to get a new one this year.
I jinxed it too by buying new. Can only brap it so many times in the garage

8 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
On 12/10/2019 at 5:36 PM, dryslot said:
Until Saturday.

Wtf, another heavy rainer. Of course being modeled 7 days ago, it was a lock. God forbid it was snow. Just a mood killer and setback to getting on the trails

Yup, Another rainer and another hit to the trails up north.

Rainer on Saturday.  Maybe wrap around moisture will help a little bit.  Storm early next week is trending in the wrong direction but looks colder than Saturdays.  Follow up system after that perhaps but that is out in fantasy land.

Southern New England is killing it in the snowfall department.  Mostly bare ground around here.  Wildlife must be loving that.

Event totals: 0.6” Snow/0.02” L.E.

The initial squall that passed through here was pretty intense, and we were actually under a Snow Squall Warning as the BTV NWS shifted them in our direction.  There are still some flakes out there as residual moisture flows through.

Details from the 10:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 24.6 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

• Like 1