• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

BTV AFD..some nice:weenie::weenie: disco...ha.  Awesome though for you guys and resorts up North.

As of 1236 PM EST Saturday...Report from nws employee at local
resort in the northern Green Mtns continues to indicate light
snow with some accumulation occurring. Have continued to mention
likely pops with total daytime snowfall accumulation of an inch
or two possible from Mansfield to Jay Peak. The localized BTV
snow machine is having difficulties finding the off switch,
which is not a bad thing, especially when some are having fun
with product testing. Otherwise, flow becomes unblocked this
aftn and depth of moisture decreases by 21z, which will result
in decreasing areal coverage of snow shower activity. No
significant changes to crnt fcst.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

BTV AFD..some nice:weenie::weenie: disco...ha.  Awesome though for you guys and resorts up North.

Some of the models did show the snowfall hanging around today – it was really just a blip of blue along the spine of the Northern Greens, but when ratios are like what we’ve had, it doesn’t take much moisture to stack up.  You can see that northwest flow still cruising into the spine on the radar – it’s more cellular now as the radar image below shows, but the snowfall doesn’t seem to stop, it just waxes and wanes and at times you’ve got the sun shining with fairly decent accumulation at the same time.

07DEC19B.gif

58 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Best office in New England... sorry Legro ;).   By far the most skiing and riding discussions in the AFDs of any office.  Warms the heart.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Life in the snow globe.  Another one converted to upslope way of life!  

Stacked up on every little twig today.  Such a beautiful drive through town to the mountain.

Hollywood movies spend a million dollars to recreate these scenes with perfect dendrites fluttering down and stacking on everything.

Yeah, this was by no means a big upslope storm for around here, but it was a nice subtle bread and butter event with little wind, and it definitely put a nice shot of picturesque into the landscape.  I had a bit of time this morning, so I pulled out some telephoto lenses and shot a bunch of images from the house of things in the yard with the fresh snow.  I’ve got a couple below for now, and I’ll try to get a few more up when I get a chance.  A look at how that 50:1+ snow can behave sometimes:

07DEC19B.jpg

07DEC19A.jpg

07DEC19C.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, diviningweather said:

Often when the Sky is clear, and the temperatures are dropping, (true especially when reaching towards or passed 0 deg. F. )

what little there may be, is  crystallized it into snowflakes. 

When we lived in northern Maine, occasional cloudless and calm mornings with temps -20 or colder would feature tiny sun-reflecting crystals seemingly coming from nowhere as the intense cold was wringing out the last tiny bit of moisture from the air.  This generally occurred within an hour or so of sunrise.  The French had a term for it that translates as "the cold coming down."

It seemed like this event was tapering off, but my wife just got home and I saw that we’ve got big flakes pouring down again.  Sometimes there can be a diurnal component to these events, but the BTV NWS hasn’t said much in their discussion other than that they were expecting the snowfall to generally slow down as the lapse rates stabilized and moisture decreased.

07DEC19C.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

It seemed like this event was tapering off, but my wife just got home and I saw that we’ve got big flakes pouring down again.  Sometimes there can be a diurnal component to these events, but the BTV NWS hasn’t said much in their discussion other than that they were expecting the snowfall to generally slow down as the lapse rates stabilized and moisture decreased.

07DEC19C.gif

It is nuking at the mountain still.  Huge flakes!

Event totals: 8.4” Snow/0.22” L.E.

Skies have really cleared out overnight, so it looks like that will mark the end of this event.  This Clipper has now taken the top spot for accumulation on the season, edging out the 11/7/2019 short wave/cold front that brought 7.1” exactly a month ahead of this one.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 0.7 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 8.5 inches

I just noticed that the totally clear skies we had this morning have clouded over again, and the sky is starting to look like it has the potential for snow.  I see on the radar that there is moisture coming into the area, and the BTV NWS suggests that it’s in association with the warm front ahead of this next system.

08DEC19A.gif

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Man what a sunset.  Out walking with the dog but Elmore Mountain and the entire Worcester Range just went bright pink....upper elevations plastered white going pink with alpenglow is one of the best scenes in the mountains.

Unfortunately we are 100% overcast, but I did take this earlier

20191208_124217.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Unfortunately we are 100% overcast, but I did take this earlier

We were overcast and even had some flurries float down, but must've been just enough clearing to the SW over the southern Champlain Valley for the sun to sneak some rays under the OVC deck and above the Spine.  Very narrow window there, ha.

Just now, powderfreak said:

We were overcast but must've been just enough clearing to the SW over the southern Champlain Valley for the sun to sneak some rays under the OVC deck and above the Spine.  Very narrow window there, ha.

I'm still waiting to see Alpine Glow on the presidentials