Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Nam gone wild with the clipper tom in SVT/CVT:

namconus_apcpn_neus_15.png

The trend in all the models I looked at is a bit stronger each run.  The Euro gives me about 3.5" if I use the Kuchera ratios.  Maybe some might be surprised around the evening commute in the Manchester/Concord areas of NH.  No big deal but this looks to sneak under the radar a bit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

I had no idea...I'm probably too far north, we had light snow or flurries all day. Forgot to ask Alex what we got, I'm assuming an inch or 2. It is very pretty to keep getting these little snow refreshers

1.2”! I agree with you. I’d rather get 1-2” every day than 10” one day and nothing for a week. 

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

I had no idea...I'm probably too far north, we had light snow or flurries all day. Forgot to ask Alex what we got, I'm assuming an inch or 2. It is very pretty to keep getting these little snow refreshers

That's a big part of the NNE mtn climo... flakes in the air.  It's especially awesome early season with the holiday lights and mood from Thanksgiving to Christmas. 

Keeps things looking fresh.

This little upslope event over the last 18 hours is finally going to snow itself out soon, but it's still snowing steadily on the slopes per friends.  Moisture was certainly lacking but this seemed to maximize what precipitable water there was.

4mhW85I.gif

• Like 1

Event totals: 2.5” Snow/0.16” L.E.

We picked up another 1.5” of snow during the day today, and there’s been some additional snow falling this evening that I’ll roll into the next round of observations.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 15.0

Snow Density: 6.7% H2O

Temperature: 27.3 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

Event totals: 3.3” Snow/0.17” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 23.0 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

This recent shortwave finished off with a final couple of tenths overnight, but the next one is right on its heels.  There was hardly a lull in snowfall before snow started picking up this morning in association with this next Clipper.

Our point forecast has 2-4” through this evening, which would put this system in the same range as the last one, but that’s a bit out of synch with the BTV NWS forecast discussion, which would suggest T-2” around here.  This system has always looked a bit less potent up here in the northern part of the state, but perhaps the point forecast numbers are due to the way some models have a bit more moisture up here and/or higher snowfall ratios.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Nice snowy evening and the upslope flow seems to be doing it's thing. 

SnowyClimate.jpg

I just finished up some stuff and looked outside to see the big flakes coming down, so I checked the radar – your post was a couple hours ago and that upslope flow looks like it’s just been cruising along, pounding up against the wall:

06DEC19A.gif

The day after day of flakes has definitely started to make it look and feel a bit more like typical December around here.

Event totals: 3.6” Snow/0.14” L.E.

This Clipper has actually brought more snow than the last one now, and it’s certainly achieving the 2-4” that was in the point forecast.  This event’s had a touch less moisture so far, but ratios have been quite good as the latest round shows.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 50.0

Snow Density: 2.0% H2O

Temperature: 21.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (4 to 12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.5 inches

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Nice snowy evening and the upslope flow seems to be doing it's thing. 

I think we were coming out of a bit of a lull at some point earlier, but as I was looking at the radar this morning, it doesn’t actually look all that different from what you posted yesterday evening.  There's definitely a bit more snow incoming:

07DEC19A.gif

When I checked the Bolton snow report this morning I saw that they were reporting 9” of new in the past 24 hours, so I did a north to south rundown on the overnight/24-hour accumulations from the Vermont ski areas:

Jay Peak: 5”

Burke: 4”

Smuggler’s Notch: 4”

Stowe: 6”

Bolton Valley: 9”

Mad River Glen: 6”

Sugarbush: 6”

Middlebury: 2”

Suicide Six: 5”

Pico: 5”

Killington: 5”

Okemo: 5”

Bromley: 6”

Magic Mountain: 5”

Stratton: 3”

Mount Snow: 5”

It does look like the Sugarbush through Stowe stretch of the spine has done fairly well for a system that was hitting a bit harder to the south.  It’s still snowing pretty nicely down here at the house though, so there should certainly be a bit more to tack on at elevation.

49 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 5.3” Snow/0.16” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 85.0

Snow Density: 1.2% H2O

Temperature: 17.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (2 to 8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 8.0 inches

85-1..not bad.

Ive always wondered...When do you sleep? 12am and 6am obs every day?

1 minute ago, backedgeapproaching said:

85-1..not bad.

Ive always wondered...When do you sleep? 12am and 6am obs every day?

I’m usually up until roughly midnight on most nights, so if it’s snowing significantly and looks like it will be worth it, I’ll run an analysis (and they’re much quicker now that I don’t even have to melt down the snow).  Sometimes I’ll just do one at 10 PM or something and head to bed if I’m tired.  Some nights, like earlier this week, I’ll just wait until morning if it doesn’t seem worth it.  This kind of snow we’re getting right now though (>50:1 type of stuff) is worth trying to catch to document the actual density, since it will settle fairly fast.

I also don’t stress to hard if I don’t catch things at exactly 6 AM in the morning, so I don’t set an alarm and don’t worry about it too much if I’m a little late.  Either my wife or I wake up around then anyway, but day after day after day of analyses all winter can be draining if you’re actually getting up specifically for it with an alarm and can never sleep in.  It’s really a volunteer activity/service getting the numbers in for CoCoRaHS, so I try not to kill myself with it, as much as I do love rigorous analyses as a scientist.

My natural sleep cycle is typically about 6 to 7 hours though, so even if I do catch the midnight and 6 AM observations, it’s not out of the norm.  Some mornings I’ll head back to bed to catch another hour if I feel tired, sometimes I’ll catch a quick nap in the evening after work/dinner, so I fit the extra sleep in where it’s needed.  My wife needs 8 to 9 hours of sleep, but she’s typically in bed by 9 PM or so, so she gets that in easily.

Between observations, skiing, work, family, etc., it definitely keeps the winter rhythm pretty lively around here.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

19f clear skies good visibility but snowflakes in the air. It was like this all night every time I turned on the spotlight very small flakes with a bright moon. Never saw this when I lived in metro Bosron

I posted this in the other thread but it’s moderate snow and semi blue sky here. Very coolD845B1AC-4DEE-4DA3-BFFE-3B1F75BFAE07.jpeg.f18b6f37c8b68465c96fc212f89f3c56.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

19f clear skies good visibility but snowflakes in the air. It was like this all night every time I turned on the spotlight very small flakes with a bright moon. Never saw this when I lived in metro Bosron

One moonless evening last winter we had light snow and the brighter stars were visible.  Probably the flakes on my face came from clouds that had moved east while the snow drifted downward.
0.1" dusting last evening, which was 0.1" more than expected here.

28 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

I've decided I am in love with upslope. Last night driving, my headlights were making it sparkle like diamonds.  It was hard to focus on driving I was so enamored.  Today is amazing with the patches of blue sky and moderate snow of perfectly formed bug puffy flakes

Life in the snow globe.  Another one converted to upslope way of life!  

Stacked up on every little twig today.  Such a beautiful drive through town to the mountain.

Hollywood movies spend a million dollars to recreate these scenes with perfect dendrites fluttering down and stacking on everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Life in the snow globe.  Another one converted to upslope way of life!  

Stacked up on every little twig today.  Such a beautiful drive through town to the mountain.

Hollywood movies spend a million dollars to recreate these scenes with perfect dendrites fluttering down and stacking on everything.

Funny you should say that - I actually just got off the phone with a production company that wants to shoot a Sam Adams commercial at my house. They wanted a place with good chances of a snowy scenery. :)

• Like 1