Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I have been gone all day at Dartmouth Hitchcock and have not been very up with this storm.  5" storm total for me and looks like just a couple of inches in Lebanon. Just got home and have not read the boards since early this morning but turned on the TV.  Snow amounts,  36" New Ipswich NH and the Monadnock  area.  Wow.

Hope everything is ok Gene. At least you are at a top notch facility. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

HRRR is pretty robust for tomorrow along the Spine... 

6908B4D9-2177-4BB6-BE33-0F870116A091.thumb.png.97ebb9fd1b1719f3706b157dff8f58ba.png

18z GFS hammers Jay...

400FA60F-B3AF-44BD-82D8-9523ED9B2A09.thumb.png.b6febd57a695a4f4cfda4cd567bbe3e7.png

BTV NWS has slowly brought things up a bit in their discussions over the past couple of days, and they’re thinking up to 6” at the summits.

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

741 PM EST Wed Dec 4 2019

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH THURSDAY/...

As of 723 PM EST Wednesday... orographic forcing and localized orographic blocking could yield 2-4" of snowfall along the immediate western slopes of the northern Green Mtns (Jeffersonville to Montgomery), and up to 6" possible through Thursday morning across the highest summits from Mt. Mansfield to Jay Peak. Temperatures overnight will fall back into the mid-upper 20s, with highs on Thursday mainly 30-35F.

Coming down steadily at the mountain.  

Had 1” at 5:30am to put on the snow report (I see Smuggs put 1” too) but by the time the lifts open it’ll be more at this rate.  The stuff in town seemed very fluffy but up here it seems denser with small flakes.  

Should ski really nicely.  We’ll see what we can pick up today.  

5761AE57-8D73-4F45-B342-81285BB3EBCE.gif.e50f51253632f6cc707c1fe04f38a6d3.gif

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Had 1” at 5:30am to put on the snow report (I see Smuggs put 1” too) but by the time the lifts open it’ll be more at this rate.  The stuff in town seemed very fluffy but up here it seems denser with small flakes.  

5761AE57-8D73-4F45-B342-81285BB3EBCE.gif.e50f51253632f6cc707c1fe04f38a6d3.gif

That radar makes the spine look like an absolute wall lol.  Of course for the most part its is this morning.  A very light dusting on the car this morning and just a stray flurry here and there on the way in to work. 

15 minutes ago, mreaves said:

That radar makes the spine look like an absolute wall lol.  Of course for the most part its is this morning.  A very light dusting on the car this morning and just a stray flurry here and there on the way in to work. 

Flow is blocked pretty well as it’s backed all the way into BTV.  Like an interstate pileup of cars, that pile up of air that can’t get over the Spine has made its way west so the best lift is closer to BTV than the mountains.

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Flow is blocked pretty well as it’s backed all the way into BTV.  Like an interstate pileup of cars, that pile up of air that can’t get over the Spine has made its way west so the best lift is closer to BTV than the mountains.

Think they get 31" this time?  :P

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like the blocked flow let up a bit.  Noticeable snow has started here in downtown MPV in the last few minutes.  Small flakes and the roads are getting covered.

Event totals: 1.0” Snow/0.06” L.E.

I suspect there were flakes here at the house much of the day yesterday, similar to what I saw in Burlington, but any accumulation was minimal until the evening when the snow picked up in intensity.  I contemplated running an analysis at midnight last night, but there was only about a half inch on the boards, so it didn’t seem to be needed.  Last night’s flakes had some fairly decent size, probably with a range of 2 to 8 mm, but this morning thus far the flakes have been fairly small in the 1 to 2 mm range.  From what I’m seeing this morning, the flake size does seem to jump up when the snow intensity increases.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.7

Snow Density: 6.0% H2O

Temperature: 27.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 to 2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 4.0 inches

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

05DEC19A.gif

There seems to be a nice steady flow with a few ~30 db spots mixed in there.  The point forecast here calls for 1-2” today, with a total of roughly 2-4” through Friday, so we’ll see how it all comes together.  Modeling has generally had that shortwave on Friday into Saturday a bit south of here as the BTV NWS crew have mentioned in their discussions, but most of the models do seem to get us into some of the snow.

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Looks like a nice 6” spot heading to Mansfield-Jay. 

Who knows what the magic of the Northern Greens will produce .

I must say the amount of snow I have on the ground looks like what I envision near the green mountain spine .

Summit Stake is 15-16” now it looks like.  Might climb another couple by later today.

In the beta testing phase of a snow cam at 3,300ft location.  

1” this morning before the board dumped at 6am...then another 3”....4” running total so far.  

Need to get some denser mesh or even just board up the fence to stop wind flow.  It’s still hit or miss but seems to be capturing this event well so far.  

C1638FAC-FE71-428D-94F4-8D00E2B1FED9.jpeg.d2b0c4054d72faca82c10b27f11fb5f4.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

1” this morning before the board dumped at 6am...then another 3”....4” running total so far.  

Need to get some denser mesh or even just board up the fence to stop wind flow.  It’s still hit or miss but seems to be capturing this event well so far.  

Nice.  Is the same one that you had done on your own before?  Looks like a nice upgrade.  Maybe some of those plastic privacy slats or some artificial hedge braid like this

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2541094/national-tree-company-instablock-artificial-hedge-fence-braid.jsp?skuid=27725474&ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=DECOR&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=27725474&CID=shopping15&utm_campaignid=174293612&pid=googleadwords_int&af_channel=CSE&gclid=CjwKCAiA8qLvBRAbEiwAE_ZzPRlGr1bfrV9bg2PRkfNbcgreT3LmCByPZ3SRJBodv9fp8lI_KgVmDhoC_4AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

58 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nice!!!

3300’ on N Green Spine....should be some “wow, I knew they got a lot but didn’t realize they got this much “ comments

Typical morning with down-sloping cold air advection.  NW to SE cloud streamers off the mountains.

Got up to 36F or so and now falling back

Deer are back with the annual winter hunt for apples under the snow. Lots of tracks mostly behind the house that you can't see.  Only 4-5" at the snow stake.  Wonder how much of it we can melt with the brief warm up early next week?

Untitled.jpg

• Like 2

The bottom half of my 7" is like armorplate - the grandkids stayed on top and sometimes Idid too.  The period Nov. 18-24 brought 2.02" precip and 1.6" snow with only one day getting milder than 34 - the 21st with 38 and no precip.  Toss in the Thanksgiving event and it's 3.01" precip and 4.1" snow, with almost no melting but some settling.  The 2.8" Tuesday is the fluff coat that could quickly vanish in a warm rain, but the stuff beneath is a lot tougher.

7 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

You really are in a good snowy spot. 

For a SVT valley location it is pretty decent as some spots can not be (DDH, etc) Retention obviously is not great--but it's bad anywhere west of the spine up and down VT.  1500ft and up on the East Slope would be the ideal spot.